Nintendo Switch OLED - who needs 4k, dat screen

Gotters

28 minutes ago, Benny said:

I'm frankly baffled at the number of people who want a "TV only" version. Thus removing the most unique selling point of the bloody thing that helped it sell so many and become a wild success, which expanded the library of games to the extent it has and made it so worth owning one. I mean...

Let's do it both ways. 

I hate playing certain games handheld. Fucking HATE it. I can't play something like Monster Hunter Rise in it because the from factor of the console doesn't allow my hands to work as well as they do with the pad. Plus holding the console up for ages gives me dead arm. Plus plus some games are just too cluttered visually to work on the screen.

If there were a TV version only and I could share all my purchases over my standard switch and a static TV one I absolutely would buy one.

Just now, moosegrinder said:

I hate playing certain games handheld. Fucking HATE it. I can't play something like Monster Hunter Rise in it because the from factor of the console doesn't allow my hands to work as well as they do with the pad. Plus holding the console up for ages gives me dead arm.

If there were a TV version only and I could share all my purchases over my standard switch and a static TV one I absolutely would buy one.

Breath of the Wild demands the big screen, IMHO.

6 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I hate playing certain games handheld. Fucking HATE it. I can't play something like Monster Hunter Rise in it because the from factor of the console doesn't allow my hands to work as well as they do with the pad. Plus holding the console up for ages gives me dead arm. Plus plus some games are just too cluttered visually to work on the screen.

Sure, and it would be nice to have a version of the Switch which passed on those savings to you by skipping the hardware you don’t need, but I don’t think it’s a niche Nintendo will service. Like how it would’ve been nice to have a stripped back PS Vita that was just for remote play.

40 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Sure, and it would be nice to have a version of the Switch which passed on those savings to you by skipping the hardware you don’t need, but I don’t think it’s a niche Nintendo will service. Like how it would’ve been nice to have a stripped back PS Vita that was just for remote play.

Oh I don't think they'd actually do it. If totally buy it though.

26 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Apart from Nintendo’s incredible games, the handheld factor is the switch’s big selling point and major differentiator from the Xbox or PS. Nintendo won’t produce a solely under the tv console again. 

Selling a TV only device doesn’t remove that differentiator, it would literally be the Switch hardware without a screen and be a part of the same family of consoles, in the same way Apple has phones, tablets, etc. all using the same eco system. It would also be a cheaper way of leveraging sales without any extra R&D, it’s a no brainer and it will happen at some point. 

The handheld factor isn't the major selling point either, whilst Switch Lite has proved successful the majority of Switch’s sold are full fat ones, and there’s quite a spread over how people use them; TV, handheld, both. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Selling a TV only device doesn’t remove that differentiator, it would literally be the Switch hardware without a screen and be a part of the same family of consoles, in the same way Apple has phones, tablets, etc. all using the same eco system. It would also be a cheaper way of leveraging sales without any extra R&D, it’s a no brainer and it will happen at some point. 

The handheld factor isn't the major selling point either, whilst Switch Lite has proved successful the majority of Switch’s sold are full fat ones, and there’s quite a spread over how people use them; TV, handheld, both. 

I thought the Switch’s main selling point was that I could be playing Zelda, undock it, thrown it in my backpack and then continue at my local basketball court or friends swanky garden party? 

or the toilet. 

11 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

There already is a TV only switch. It’s called a docked Switch. A TV only Switch is an answer to a problem that doesn’t exist.

It’s a very clumsy and wasteful way to use it if you’ve got no interest in using it handheld though.

7 minutes ago, Benny said:

How is it wasteful? What?

I said it yesterday, but I feel it’s a waste to have a screen and joycons that’ll never get used. I’d much prefer a little Nintendo box that only works on the TV.

How are the joycons wasteful? Don't you take them off to play?

Then that leave the docked centre part/screen connected to the telly.

You call almost call that a little Nintendo box that only works on the telly.

6 minutes ago, memories said:

Nope. Never use them. Pro Controller only. Take the Joycons out, take out the screen, pack in a cheaper controller that has none of the gyro/waggle stuff like the Lite. Boom. TBH the cost of the Joycons and screen et al will be offset by the more powerful hardware so it's all a bit pointless.

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Erm, why wouldn’t you just leave the machine docked and save some cash.

19 minutes ago, memories said:

Then that leave the docked centre part/screen connected to the telly.

You call almost call that a little Nintendo box that only works on the telly.

No, they’re pretty terrible. Pro Controller all the way for me.

Just now, Strafe said:

I mean instead of buying a Switch pro. If they did a pro with no screen and no JoyCons for less than a portable one I'd buy one and keep my standard switch for mobile play.

Just now, Strafe said:

Well in my case, my Switch is dead - Just displays a blue screen - so it’d be the perfect thing for me. It won’t happen though, so there’s no point me carrying on about it.

1 hour ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

There already is a TV only switch. It’s called a docked Switch. A TV only Switch is an answer to a problem that doesn’t exist.

There already is a handheld only Switch, it’s  called an undocked Switch. A handheld only Switch is an answer to a problem that doesn’t exist. 

8 minutes ago, Stanley said:

There already is a handheld only Switch, it’s  called an undocked Switch. A handheld only Switch is an answer to a problem that doesn’t exist. 

Not really, the Switch Lite replaces the 2DS/3DS as a cheaper dedicated handheld largely for kids.

A TV only Switch is far more pointless, really have no idea why you would want one assuming you already have a Switch.

1 minute ago, dreamylittledream said:

Not really, the Switch Lite replaces the 2DS/3DS as a cheaper dedicated handheld largely for kids.

A TV only Switch is far more pointless, really have no idea why you would want one assuming you already have a Switch.

Does it replace the DS line of consoles though? The sales ratio is something like 70/30 in favour of the Switch Fat (and that’s not just sales to date) A TV only Switch is no more pointless than the Lite for people who only want it to play on their TV and would choose the cheaper price point. 

2 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

This is Nintendo though. 

Yeah that is the main sticking point when it comes to owning multiple devices, although they have got a bit better with cloud saves recently, that works quite well now across devices, and the family account is brilliant. But you know, we need to be able to share digital purchases across devices like on iOS or Xbox.

21 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

So I can buy it on clearance and hack it to play other systems when the emulation thread appears here in five years. :hat:

3 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I suspect the market for a cheaper, handheld-only Switch you can buy for each of your kids that can be taken anywhere, is more lucrative than the market of middle aged gamers who want to connect one to their TV and have resisted all temptation to buy a regular Switch for four years because it is wasteful.

At the risk of repeating myself for the umpteenth time, the regular Switch outsells the Lite considerably, must be all those middle aged kids, or something. 

4 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Nope. Never use them. Pro Controller only. Take the Joycons out, take out the screen, pack in a cheaper controller that has none of the gyro/waggle stuff like the Lite. Boom. TBH the cost of the Joycons and screen et al will be offset by the more powerful hardware so it's all a bit pointless.

This reads pretty funny as every function of the Joy-Cons, from Gyro controls to HD Rumble, are included in the Pro Controller as well. Only the Lite lacks the HD rumble. The only thing the Joy-Cons have over the Pro Controller is that you can either use them as one controller or split them into two. Which helps with not having to buy a second controller.