Nintendo Switch OLED - who needs 4k, dat screen

Gotters

I'm happy with my current Switch (the improved chip model with the better battery life) & have no need for the OLED model.

That's what I keep repeating to myself anyway.  Let's see how long it is before I crack.

3 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Call me a cynic but I’m pretty sure manufacturing and selling something for commercial reasons isn’t the sole domain of Nintendo.

An astute observation.

As a rule though, I generally don’t feel the need to give a potted summation of wider capitalism and society when talking about an individual item in a thread devoted to it.

4 minutes ago, Paulando said:

They have released an upgraded Switch. One with a larger and much nicer display that will benefit all games when played in handheld mode.

Yeah, I mean the upgrade everyone wanted.

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

Sure! :lol:

Well then point me to device that can play games in 4K that’s available at the moment, and isn’t a PC or PS5 etc. 

You yourself have said you’ve preordered a Steam Deck if I remember correctly, which is currently just about the only other comparable handheld on the market, and that only does 720p AFAIK. And when you look at other devices such as phones; very, very few do 4K, and it’s unlikely they could run games such as Breath of The Wild at those resolutions, and they’re considerably more expensive. 

I think you just have to accept that at the moment it’s just not viable for various reasons. 

The OLED is a stop gap, take it or leave it. There will be another Switch in development that offers better performance but at the moment clearly Nintendo is not ready to share any info on it. 

I’m leaving it, I think that’s been definitively established. 

Of course, it’s not a stop gap at all, as it addresses none of the performance issues with the current Switch - but that’s been definitively established too, as you know, and doesn’t need repeating. And what the Switch can do as a handheld is entirely irrelevant to me - it needs to do 4K when it’s plugged in to a 4K tv.

8 minutes ago, Stanley said:

You yourself have said you’ve preordered a Steam Deck if I remember correctly, which is currently just about the only other comparable handheld on the market, and that only does 720p AFAIK.

That's handheld - it does any resolution you like plugged into a screen. Game-dependent, of course.

But I imagine there's a ton of indie games it'll run in 4k.

7 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Of course, it’s not a stop gap at all, as it addresses none of the performance issues with the current Switch - but that’s been definitively established too, as you know, and doesn’t need repeating. And what the Switch can do as a handheld is entirely irrelevant to me - it needs to do 4K when it’s plugged in to a 4K tv.

The PS5 and XBSX can rarely hit 4K. Your standards are high.

21 minutes ago, Strafe said:

This one has HDMI 2.0 output, the older one didn’t. So not 4K 60

Wonder how people have been using it with Macbooks on 4K screens then. Just not 60Hz maybe?

1 minute ago, deKay said:

Wonder how people have been using it with Macbooks on 4K screens then. Just not 60Hz maybe?

Adjustable resolution. The TV just displays whatever the switch is outputting at and fits/upscales it to the screen.

Note: the switch itself won't be able to send a 4k signal anyway, it's just that the new dock allows for an actual 4k signal whereas the old dock didn't. The potential implication is that down the line nintendo could release a switch powerful enough to do 4k that will work with the OLED dock.

I did see a video that said in theory the switch can handle a 4k signal but you won't be seeing any games doing it as it's not powerful enough to run games properly BUT if they ever have a Netflix app then you might see a 4k signal. Maybe.

16 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Adjustable resolution. The TV just displays whatever the switch is outputting at and fits/upscales it to the screen.

Note: the switch itself won't be able to send a 4k signal anyway, it's just that the new dock allows for an actual 4k signal whereas the old dock didn't. The potential implication is that down the line nintendo could release a switch powerful enough to do 4k that will work with the OLED dock.

No, I mean not the Switch at all, just using the dock connected to a Macbook.

I get the feeling I'm walking into something here, but how would you connect a Macbook to a Switch dock?

I mean I know there are third-party portable docks - I have one. A lot of those can output HDMI 2.0, so 4K60. But, as I understand it, the original Switch dock is not capable of this.

I might be misunderstanding what you mean but a switch dock without a switch in it won't output anything.

The MacBook supports scaled resolutions, too for things you plug into it.

14 minutes ago, Strafe said:

So basically, assuming the video above is correct, the OLED switch is technically a 4K switch in docked mode. @ZOK, how do you feel?

I feel like they are eventually going to give me the Switch I want…it’s just not this one.

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

It’s not irrelevant though is it, it’s a handheld device, unless you don’t mind carrying around something the size of a PS5, or, again, you can point me towards a device that currently does what you want from a new Switch. 

And it is the very definition of a stop gap - it offers better presentation via the new screen, so something a bit better until no doubt Switch 2 gets released in the next 1-2 years, ergo a stop gap. 

I mean you know all this @ZOKcome on now. 

1 hour ago, Zio said:

I get the feeling I'm walking into something here, but how would you connect a Macbook to a Switch dock?

From what I've seen you use a USB-C extension cable from the plug in the dock to your Macbook. Not tried it myself because I don't have a suitably gendered cable.

Pretty sure I saw someone here, either in the Apple thread or this thread, try it.

2 hours ago, ZOK said: