Nintendo Switch OLED - who needs 4k, dat screen

Gotters

2 minutes ago, Broker said:

3D World is actually a great example of why I don’t care about minor hardware upgrades. It came out on the ancient Wii U but was one of the best looking games the year it came out to my eye and ran incredibly smoothly. I’d rather developers pushed towards finding inventive ways to get gorgeous games out of old hardware using artistic skill. 

Totally. It’s beautiful to this day, and more to the point, it’s the gameplay that really matters. Take a look in the Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart thread and barely anyone is talking about how astonishing the gameplay is.

10 hours ago, Majora said:

I'm not, the buzz for the new model completely evaporated as soon as it was revealed. It's just not a particularly compelling prospect for most current Switch owners and if you haven't bought a Switch by now you're probably not the target market for this update either.

NINTEND00MED!

I mean honestly - this is clearly not aimed at getting existing users to upgrade - it's aimed at refreshing the product to keep it current, maintain momentum, increase holiday sales (which, let us not forget, are currently well above those of their rivals). It's totally aimed at people that have not already bought a switch, with the benefit of knowing that some early adopters might also just be about ready to refresh their older unit and/or invest in a second for their household.

Calling this 'not particularly compelling' just because it doesn't match up to some fanciful wish-list hardware, that Nintendo at no point ever officialy said anything about at all, is very odd - especially when I'd bet quite a few other people's bollocks that this will be the best selling hardware over xmas '21.

We're not seeing 4k/60 in all cases on PS5/XBX - so getting huffed up that a tiny portable isn't going to deliver it either seems a bit unrealistic.

8 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I think it’s being called ‘not particularly compelling’ because it couldn’t be any more obvious that it’s not particularly compelling.

Compelling to who though - it's currently the best selling hardware out there (by a wide margin), and this will likely maintain that momentum. Are we honestly saying the hardware that's likely to sell more than the other two put together is the one that's 'not compelling'? Omphaloskepsis.

EDIT: I should add, I'm not buying one, it's not compelling to me - but that's just me - this thing will sell millions and millions.

6 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

People just expected a few more of the problems and minor inconveniences the switch has had for 4 years to get ironed out, when the existing screen is totally fine.

A good chunk of the problems and inconveniences on the current unit could be ironed out with a firmware update, not a hardware one. Folders and more themes for a start. Incredible they've not done those yet. Money left on the table - who wouldn't drop 60p on a pikmin theme or a Wario one?

Honestly though, if they’re going to change one thing it should be the screen. The current one is ‘fine’, but it’s also fairly washed out and has poor black levels. Everyone still bangs on about how great the original PS Vita is compared to the LCD revision.

I reckon when I see this next to an LCD model I’m going to crumble.

It just seems odd to me to keep selling these alongside the original for only £30 more if it’s designed to be a minor refresh. 

I know Nintendo are absolute cheapskates, so there’s no way they’re going to eat that cost, but still. 

22 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

People just expected a few more of the problems and minor inconveniences the switch has had for 4 years to get ironed out, when the existing screen is totally fine.

It’s actually not that fine. It’s serviceable but it’s starting to show its age. 

The new model looks to have an all round more premium look and finish, and as anyone who ever owned the original Vita will tell you, OLED screens are much, much nicer. 

A slightly bigger OLED screen with smaller bezels (wish it could have been edge to edge mind) will show off Switch games to the full. Breath of The Wild, Mario Kart etc. will all look magnificent on it. 

And that’s a big draw for me. I mainly play docked these days, but this will definitely draw me to playing more handheld again - there’s a reason their output this year is skewed towards handheld games (Metroid, Advance Wars, Wario Ware, Pokemon). 

Anyway, let’s try and preorder one, here goes! 

31 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Compelling to who though - it's currently the best selling hardware out there (by a wide margin), and this will likely maintain that momentum. Are we honestly saying the hardware that's likely to sell more than the other two put together is the one that's 'not compelling'? Omphaloskepsis.

EDIT: I should add, I'm not buying one, it's not compelling to me - but that's just me - this thing will sell millions and millions.

Yes, but that implies you don’t understand what compelling means, as what you are saying is that this will sell for the same reasons that the original is still selling.

I believe the number of people who will buy this due to the improvements when they didn’t want the original is tiny, and probably smaller than the fractional number who will see this as a compelling reason to upgrade.

To people who wanted a Switch anyway and don’t yet have one, it will probably sell very well.

Just now, Dudley said:

Why is charging for delivery suddenly a thing again?

Because not charging associates you with Amazon's bad practices to minimize the delivery process.

That or another Brexit bonus.

10 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Yes, but that implies you don’t understand what compelling means, as what you are saying is that this will sell for the same reasons that the original is still selling.

I'm saying kids in the playground will want the new one with the bigger screen for xmas. They might have just wanted the existing one before, but now this one is out there they will want that. They will not want to be the kid with the small screen Switch as that will put them at a 'disadvantage in Fortnite' or something else that's important to them.

We're so focused on 'gamers' that the really big market gets completely ignored - kids want the latest thing, even if they have no idea why that latest thing is actually better. This is Nintendo putting a 'latest thing' on the market in time for xmas. Kids will want it, nobody will want to be the one that comes back to school with the 'tiny screen' Switch while Hugo and Peter at the back have the new one.

In all eventuality this will probably become the standard model after a while, and it’s a way for Nintendo to increase the price of the base model. No doubt it will come down to £299 but that’s still £20 more than the current RRP. 

The real outrage is: how will I pair my Pro Controller with my Switch now, or charge it without disconnecting the AC adapter from the dock??

DB71E72D-780D-486F-81F4-44A29B14A690.thumb.jpeg.10970fcd5728941a4c09199504e71751.jpeg

EDIT: For the record, this is factually inaccurate as the new Switch has two USB ports on the side of the dock, so this diagram from the Pro Controller still applies. 

22 minutes ago, rgraves said:

I'm saying kids in the playground will want the new one with the bigger screen for xmas. They might have just wanted the existing one before, but now this one is out there they will want that. They will not want to be the kid with the small screen Switch as that will put them at a 'disadvantage in Fortnite' or something else that's important to them.

We're so focused on 'gamers' that the really big market gets completely ignored - kids want the latest thing, even if they have no idea why that latest thing is actually better. This is Nintendo putting a 'latest thing' on the market in time for xmas. Kids will want it, nobody will want to be the one that comes back to school with the 'tiny screen' Switch while Hugo and Peter at the back have the new one.

I do not believe that will happen, except in a vanishingly small number of instances. Parents will not be so easily suckered.

22 minutes ago, rgraves said:

I have thought about this and my response is: nah. And what school lets kids bring Switches in?

5 minutes ago, Paulando said:

The real outrage is: how will I pair my Pro Controller with my Switch now, or charge it without disconnecting the AC adapter from the dock??

DB71E72D-780D-486F-81F4-44A29B14A690.thumb.jpeg.10970fcd5728941a4c09199504e71751.jpeg

Wat? Like normal? Beard?

32 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Because not charging associates you with Amazon's bad practices to minimize the delivery process.

That or another Brexit bonus.

I wouldn't mind if they used premium delivery services but they still use the same shitty services that pay sod all and the drivers put packages in bins or chuck them over fences :D

1 minute ago, Clipper said:

I wouldn't mind if they used premium delivery services but they still use the same shitty services that pay sod all and the drivers put packages in bins or chuck them over fences :D

It’s almost as if those drivers are behaving like they aren’t treated fairly, or have any kind of representation or recourse. 

1 hour ago, wretcherd said:

I recently reacquired a Vita with OLED screen and even though it is an "old" handheld that screen is a marvel. Regardless of its flaws that display is gorgeous, everything I play on it on emu just looks vibrant and colourful - whereas the Switch's is a bit washed out as its an LCD. this new screen will make those primary coloured Nintendo exclusives POP like crazy.

I am not getting embroiled in whether the new one is compelling, whether you buy it or not is upto your circumstance. I will because I was considering a 2nd switch, didnt fancy the lite due to the fact replacing joycons is a thing with Switches - so an extra £40 for a vibrant OLED screen is worth it to me.