IGNORED

Nintendo Switch OLED - who needs 4k, dat screen

Gotters

7 minutes ago, bear said:

I understand that he isn't your cup of tea but that just seems like an unnecessarily nasty comment. 

I don't mind him that much. It's the second most unnecessarily nasty forum on the Internet. 

19 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I'll take your word for it; I'm kind of surprised they got much out of them given the [lack of] depth to the TV, though! The BX does not sound great, unsurprisingly, so I stuck with my budget Q Acoustics bookshelf speakers as my audio solution.

The speakers on the CX actually point downwards and the curved stand bounces the sound 90 degrees out underneath the bottom edge of the screen so they are not limited by the depth of the unit

Soundbar, sub, extra remote etc are all too much hassle and get in the way, mine went to the charity shop when I got a CX.  Good riddance

As for the new Switch I'll certainly be getting one if I am stuck back commuting into the office post covid.  Better screen alone is worth it.

Hopefully I'll be able to use both old and new with a single account and dock, that way I can have 2 cart games on the go at once without having to swap them in/ out

52 minutes ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

Won't it look worse on the bigger screen if its still 720p?

Yes the new screen will be lower DPI than the old screen, so in theory will be lower fidelity (although the increased contrast from OLED will probably make up for it).

Still, only 720p for a 7 inch screen is really pushing it for something that's supposed to be quite close for your face.

Even more so given most phones are the same size screen but 1440p/4k.

Just now, Jamie John said:

Presumably the joycons will be slightly longer/taller than the current ones if the screen is diagonally bigger... right? So you won't be able to use older joycons with the bigger screen? Or am I being thick?

the unit is the same size with much thinner bezels round screen giving increase to 7" from 6.2"

1 minute ago, Clipper said:

the unit is the same size with much thinner bezels round screen giving increase to 7" from 6.2"

Ah, gotcha. Well I guess that the Hori Split Pad Pro would work with it, then.

Although, it is hideous.

Hmm.

I think I am going to have to get one of these so my kids have my old one to share.  Glad the docks might be interchangeable too. Slightly underwhelmed and I wouldn;t entertain getting one other than the fact my own Switch is often snaffled by the offspring.

50 minutes ago, Ivanho said:

Joycon drift and OLED burn-in for smash players to whine about, sensational!

I'm glad that I don't need to buy a new switch when Atlus puts out Shin Megami Tensei V, at least at launch.

I can't wait for the YouTube guides for people who will upgrade on transferring Animal Crossing islands and all sorts of other frustrating Nintendoisms.

Secrets Tom Nook DOESN'T WANT YOU TO KNOW.

You can't use existing nintendo switch games. If you load up your old save it will give you a 57 character password which includes letters and numbers that you must then input on your switch pro. This will allow you to convert you save.

1 minute ago, carlospie said:

You can't use existing nintendo switch games. If you load up your old save it will give you a 57 character password which includes letters and numbers that you must then input on your switch pro. This will allow you to convert you save.

However there will be an adorable animation on setting up the conversion of your save, and this segues into an F-Zero minigame while you wait.

When people see this, all retailers sell out in 32 minutes.

1 hour ago, Ivanho said:

Which is the main reason I was looking forward to an updated Switch, that and enhanced Wifi/Bluetooth capabilities... It's like they've fixed everything that didn't need fixing.

7 hours ago, Fuddle said:

i'm honestly amazed anybody thought they would actually do a 'pro' model instead of just a refresh.

i thought everybody was just messing.

To be fair, they've done a "pro" model in that sense with 3 of their 4 handhelds. Although all of those ALSO got refreshes like this.

And two like this with the remaining one.

Gameboy / Gameboy Pocket / Gameboy Light.... then GameBoy Color (effectively a pro)

GBA -> GBA SP -> GBA Micro

DS -> DS Lite -> DSi

ALL the fucking bollocks with the 3DS involving both new non-Pro and Pro versions and the nightmare of the 2DS.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Suprised to see pre orders haven't sold out on Game 🤔

I'm not, the buzz for the new model completely evaporated as soon as it was revealed. It's just not a particularly compelling prospect for most current Switch owners and if you haven't bought a Switch by now you're probably not the target market for this update either.