Nintendo Switch OLED - who needs 4k, dat screen

Gotters

Yeah no need to upgrade mine ^_^ I'd have seriously considered a pro with my daughter getting closer to the age of wanting to play my gadgets, would have been ideal to giver her the older model. Well she'll have to wait a bit longer till the next Switch now :D

It seems fine, it's just a 3DS XL but for the Switch?

I think the Switch will have an 8 to 11 year long generation like 3DS did, it's selling great, there's no serious contender in it's slot and it's not like people were turned off by the old tech to begin with.

41 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Nope.

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/tech-specs/#oled-section

It even has the exact same battery life figures as the revised model, so it’s almost certainly the same chip.

That almost confirms my suspicion that the Switch Pro Switch with OLED and the Actual 4K Switch are completely different hardware. Almost.

At least this means they'll still be some substantial new first party games coming to the original Switch? Got on board with the Switch late, and was even beginning to think the likes of BotW2 would do the cross-platform thing and more or less signalled the end of the console. Like how Twilight Princess crossed the Gamecube and Wii and BotW the Wii U and Switch. Can't afford a new console and hoped to play at least one or two more games in their best form of Super Mario Odyssey-esque levels of greatness...

But yeah, 60 fps and more horsepower for said upcoming games would be nice.

Good for people getting one for the first time. I don't know why anyone with a switch would upgrade though. 

If I was to buy a switch (again) it would be a Lite second hand as they can be got for £100 right now. 

Meh, seems like a super niche product to me. Your average Switch owner isn't going to care about paying a substantial premium for an OLED screen and an ethernet port. The type of people who care about that kind of thing probably also care more about things like HDR support, 4k output, better framerates etc. Struggling to see who would get really excited about paying £350 for this.

A dedicated lan port is a nice addition, and the better audio in portable mode. So that combined with the screen might sell me on it because I love playing in portable mode.

I can just give my old Switch to my boyfriend.

Didn't nintendo want to do an OLED screen initially and just couldn't find a supplier at the time? Kinda makes sense to do it now that it's super popular, since suppliers will want to help instead of nintendo begging.  Disappointed about not being a pro variant, but I expected it to be honest.  The game plan for nintendo is likely to eventually stop making the original switch, in favor of this one.  Will likely reduce price of original switch soon to sell out remaining units, and perhaps in a year or so, the OLED will be the main one.  Otherwise it just sort of cannibalizes itself doesn't it?

2 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch-Family/Which-Nintendo-Switch-is-right-for-you-/Which-Nintendo-Switch-is-right-for-you--1596110.html

The comparison table is so odd. You really have to wonder why they are even selling it alongside alongside the original switch instead of just replacing it.

It makes the price increase for this model look more reasonable. 

Just now, BruceBruce said:

A dedicated lan port is a nice addition, and the better audio in portable mode. So that combined with the screen might sell me on it because I love playing in portable mode.

I can just give my old Switch to my boyfriend.

Didn't nintendo want to do an OLED screen initially and just couldn't find a supplier at the time? Kinda makes sense to do it now that it's super popular, since suppliers will want to help instead of nintendo begging.  Disappointed about not being a pro variant, but I expected it to be honest.  The game plan for nintendo is likely to eventually stop making the original switch, in favor of this one.  Will likely reduce price of original switch soon to sell out remaining units, and perhaps in a year or so, the OLED will be the main one.

I’m in line with this, except the bit about giving my old switch to your boyfriend.

6 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch-Family/Which-Nintendo-Switch-is-right-for-you-/Which-Nintendo-Switch-is-right-for-you--1596110.html

The comparison table is so odd. You really have to wonder why they are even selling it alongside alongside the original switch instead of just replacing it.

“ There may also be games where the game experience may differ due to the new capabilities of the console, such as the larger screen size”

PRO FUNCTIONALITY CONFIRMED