IGNORED

Nintendo Switch OLED - who needs 4k, dat screen

Gotters

22 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I think it's telling that we're getting cross-gen games and nobody's making a bit deal out of the technical achievement. I wonder how many press outlets know about it but are under embargo.

Edit - Oh, if it's a cloud game then never mind.

Yeah it's running on a PC.  Really they shouldn't say it's "coming to switch".

Excellent that all those gaming websites that run their "Everything we know about the Switch Pro!" articles are now running shonky hot takes on "Why didn't Nintendo announce Switch Pro at E3".

The worst being Tech Radar (I'm not linking to it) with nuggets such as:

A large chunk of Nintendo’s conference would have required the company to delve into what the system can do, why it was made, and more importantly, why consumers should buy it. It’s more likely, then, that Nintendo will opt to dedicate an entire Nintendo Direct to the new hardware.

The answer to all these is "to play Switch games." Likely to dedicate an entire Nintendo Direct to it? Says who? Why?

Nintendo could also ditch the idea of a Nintendo Switch Pro and decide to make a Nintendo Switch 2, which could go a lot further in terms of innovating upon the console’s current design. It could also support backwards compatibility so that the Switch’s vast library of games isn’t forgotten about.

You guys are clueless.

15 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

The answer to all these is "to play Switch games." Likely to dedicate an entire Nintendo Direct to it? Says who? Why?

They still managed 7 odd minutes for the switch lite reveal, despite it having less features than the regular one.

I’d imagine when/if they reveal the switch pro they’d want to spend some time illustrating the added benefits/feature and plenty of footage of lots of good looking people playing it in unlikely locations.

16 hours ago, Strafe said:

Yeah they should. You buy it on a switch, you play it using a switch.

When Titanfall came to Xbox one they didn’t say “on Xbox one except the AI grunts which are running off a cloud server somewhere”

"Forza Horizon isn't an Xbox exclusive, it's released on Android"

Of course, you "Play it using a switch if you happen to be in a place with very good wifi you have exclusive use of until they decide their one time revenue isn't worth it and turn it off" is a more accurate summary.

25 minutes ago, Dudley said:

"Forza Horizon isn't an Xbox exclusive, it's released on Android"

Of course, you "Play it using a switch if you happen to be in a place with very good wifi you have exclusive use of until they decide their one time revenue isn't worth it and turn it off" is a more accurate summary.

My experience with control and hitman is that they give said disclaimers and always offer a free trial to test performance beforehand.

4 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

....what?

That’s the chip supposedly in the new Switch. Or at least, a modified-for-Nintendo version. It’s internal name is Black Knight.

Apparently the guy tweeting had insider knowledge of previous chips months before they were announced by Nvidia. 

Definitely makes more sense than this year to me given the supply situation for silicon. 

I would have said that Switch Up until recently have no contacts, just a couple of guys doing reviews, but recently they seem to have got more popular and developed some contacts. 

1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Move over Sonic, there's a new cycle in town.

Why would someone hope it's wrong that the new Switch isn't coming right now and making them think their current switch isn't good enough anymore. 

35 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

March release with Breath of the Wild 2. Makes too much sense.

Yep. BOTW2 is coming in March. Said it at the end of the trailer didn't it - March 2022.

Makes sense. Just need a leaker to corroborate and then we're all good. @deKay leaks are you up for spreading this rumour around Twitter?

20 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Why would someone hope it's wrong that the new Switch isn't coming right now and making them think their current switch isn't good enough anymore. 

Yeah, the obsession is mad, you want a massively powerful console buy one.

Nintendo nuking their userbase halfway through a console's life just isn't going to happen.

I don't want a massively powerful console, I want a Switch that can run games like Age of Calamity without the framerate dipping into low double figures. It'd still be less powerful than the Series and Ps5 and hopefully not more expensive than what a Switch is currently. While we're in lala land with wishful thinking I'd like a unicorn and an 8 player Daytona cab setup please.

Here's a thought; the Switch came out at £279.99 from what I can see. The Neon one is still that on Argos (as an example, we know prices vary slightly) so the SRP hasn't changed. When was the last time a 5 year old piece of hardware, in ANY field, retained it's SRP outside of, maybe, Apple devices*?

*I say maybe because I have no idea how Apple price their old versions after a new one comes out.

I think imminent is a relative term and we'll see one within 12 months, personally. Are they making a profit on the current Switch? I vaguely remember them not but how is that possible with 5 year old tech? The last 16 months of component shortages aside they should have been getting cheaper to make?

I dunno. It's difficult to argue "But they need to be seen as keeping current with technology!" when they're still selling consoles as well as they are. The desire for an upgrade is just on a consumer level. There's no reason why they couldn't sell the old Switch for less and bring out the Switch Pro like MS did with the One X and Sony did with the PS4 Pro.

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I dunno. It's difficult to argue "But they need to be seen as keeping current with technology!" when they're still selling consoles as well as they are. The desire for an upgrade is just on a consumer level. There's no reason why they couldn't sell the old Switch for less and bring out the Switch Pro like MS did with the One X and Sony did with the PS4 Pro.

And it does depend on whether we're talking a "New 3DS" arrangement where there will be exclusive games (which would imo be a huge mistake to bring out in the next 3 years) or a PS4 Pro type thing where it's a switch but can do handheld what this one can do docked or something.

The latter seems more likely but I think Nintendo might be wrong to confuse the market like that.

2 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

They kept the price of the Wii high for a very log time also, if it's selling and not slowing down, then there is no point reducing the cost, you're just leaving money on the table.

Yeah, it was 5 years before the Wii dropped in price in the UK.

Nintendo tend to bundle with games or accessories rather than price drop.