Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy

3 hours ago, deerokus said:

Spain are a really dreadfully dull side. 

They were dull when they were brilliant, but they are even worse now.  

7 hours ago, Bucky said:

They were dull when they were brilliant, but they are even worse now.  

I don't know about that. There was that tournament where they didn't take the handbrake off until the final, which I think was the time Wenger (of all people) coined his 'sterile domination' bit, but the side of Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Pedro and so on was never dull. They were just several levels beyond, and any dullness came from the lack of any competition. Hardly their fault.

Now this lot are deathly dull. To play how they do AND not get results...well there's no excuse.

Plus the fact they have the gall to call out any defensive teams who get a result against them for playing 'the wrong way' or whatever. Some of the shit spouted by the Barcelona element of the team over the years has been hilarious. 

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

The dullness comes from their approach to possession.  Ball movement, pinball buffer players. The passing, stroking it around.  Very little on the ball movement.  Conservation of energy.  It was effective in the same way slowly removing oxygen from a room is effective at killing people; you'll be asleep before it matters.

Their winning run in the 2010 World Cup was lamentable:

In the group stages they lost to Switzerland, beat the mighty Honduras 2-0 and ten man Chile by one goal.  

After that it was a drab procession of four wins with just four goals scored.  Dominant possession, very little dribbling, yawn football.  It's my least favourite World Cup winning team of all time.

They were more lively in the 2012 Euros but still sterile.  Italy got a thumping in the final but one swallow doesn't make a summer.

The Dutch smashing them 5-1 in 2014 was a catharsis for world football.  A death to the tyranny of dull.  I was so pleased to see them get beat like that; and so die all traitors!  And so forth.

I'd go along with a lot of this. I suppose it's one of those be careful for what you wish for jobs now that the hyperactive playground football of gegenpressing is in fashion. For all the Barcelona/Spain passing carousel could become trancelike, at least its foundations were founded on footballing technique as opposed to hard running.

The middle-ground is my preferred. United '08, and to a lesser extent '99. Bayern in the season before Guardiola came in. Those great Swiss army knife sides that had a tool for every job. Spain's great tournament run was just too good at its plan A, and fell apart as soon as age bested the talent.

Little edit: No midfielder of recent times beat his man as often as Iniesta.

2 hours ago, El Pibe said:

Feeling happier about England after the last few days. We weren't very good but 4 points in the bag and a nice dose of reality.

Two clean sheets, qualification near-assured, and the sense that there are gears still to be found. That's not a bad place to be in a tournament.

rousing stuff actually

English translation

1. Brothers of Italy,
Italy has awakened;
Scipio's helmet
she has put on her head.
Where is the Victory?
Offer her the hair;
because slave of Rome
God created her.

Chorus:
Let us unite!
We are ready to die;
Italy called.

2. We have been for centuries
stamped on, and laughed at, 
because we are not one people,
because we are divided. 
Let's unite under
one flag, one dream; 
To melt together 
Already the time has come. 

3. Let's unite, let's love;
The union and the love
Reveal to the people
God's ways.
We swear to liberate
the native soil:
United, for God,
Who can beat us?

4. From the Alps to Sicily,
Everywhere is Legnano;
Every man of Ferruccio
has the heart and the hand;
the children of Italy
are called Balilla;
The sound of every church bell
calling for evening prayers.

5. They are branches that bend
the sold swords;
Already the eagle of Austria
has lost its feathers.
the blood of Italy
and the Polish blood
Drank with Cossacks
But its heart was burnt.

9 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I like Italy's anthem, has a nice change of pace half way and builds to a good shouty ending.

Not got a clue what they're on about but you can't beat a good tune.

Italy, France, Russia & Wales have best anthems, Scotlands is good aswell, Englands is fucking terrible

2 minutes ago, sprite said:

Wales so much more enjoyable to watch than England

Worth remembering that this is mostly Italy's second string. Don't disagree, though. 

Just now, Timmo said:

Worth remembering that this is mostly Italy's second string. Don't disagree, though. 

Wales just have more passion and desire than our lot showed the other night :) 

44 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I like Italy's anthem, has a nice change of pace half way and builds to a good shouty ending.

Not got a clue what they're on about but you can't beat a good tune.

Yea, so much better than the awful dirge GSTQ is.

Man the 'passion' thing is the most tired cliché in the book. Tactically England were shite on Friday and some of the key players are way off form / fitness but I thought we were past this nonsense. That's the sort of talk that gets us rebounding between continental supermanagers and mid-tier English managers. This tournament isn't over yet. 

Also Wales probably do have a better sense of camaraderie because they have a smaller pool of players available.

Jesus Christ Italy look like they mean business. This could get ugly.

Wales need to make sure they don't get thrashed. Turkey have thrown in the towel against Switzerland, so Wales could find themselves third in the group.  The way things are shaping up, there could be a lot of teams on four points, at which point goal difference becomes important.

I thought they were through, but I'm nervous now.

47 minutes ago, Gotters said:

rousing stuff actually

English translation

1. Brothers of Italy,
Italy has awakened;
Scipio's helmet
she has put on her head.
Where is the Victory?
Offer her the hair;
because slave of Rome
God created her.

Chorus:
Let us unite!
We are ready to die;
Italy called.

2. We have been for centuries
stamped on, and laughed at, 
because we are not one people,
because we are divided. 
Let's unite under
one flag, one dream; 
To melt together 
Already the time has come. 

3. Let's unite, let's love;
The union and the love
Reveal to the people
God's ways.
We swear to liberate
the native soil:
United, for God,
Who can beat us?

4. From the Alps to Sicily,
Everywhere is Legnano;
Every man of Ferruccio
has the heart and the hand;
the children of Italy
are called Balilla;
The sound of every church bell
calling for evening prayers.

5. They are branches that bend
the sold swords;
Already the eagle of Austria
has lost its feathers.
the blood of Italy
and the Polish blood
Drank with Cossacks
But its heart was burnt.

Or as my Neapolitan house mate would say “Fucking Garibaldi”.

Guess I'm probably one of the few watching the Swiss game (I have no interest in watching Wales), and it's been really good, they could be 5-up already.

Of course, Turkey are pretty rubbish, as they have been all tournament, but the Swiss have played some great stuff and Shaqiri looks in the mood (scored a lovely goal too.) 

7 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Jesus Christ Italy look like they mean business. This could get ugly.

Wales need to make sure they don't get thrashed. Turkey have thrown in the towel against Switzerland, so Wales could find themselves third in the group.  The way things are shaping up, there could be a lot of teams on four points, at which point goal difference becomes important.

I thought they were through, but I'm nervous now.

This is why I think the final group games could be interesting now, with all who could finish on 4 points being conscious of GD and hopefully being a bit more attacking (even England!) 

Edit: I know England are basically through, that bit was tongue in cheek. 

14 minutes ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Man the 'passion' thing is the most tired cliché in the book. Tactically England were shite on Friday and some of the key players are way off form / fitness but I thought we were past this nonsense. That's the sort of talk that gets us rebounding between continental supermanagers and mid-tier English managers. This tournament isn't over yet. 

Also Wales probably do have a better sense of camaraderie because they have a smaller pool of players available.

Wow. :lol:  Over-reaction, much?

If you want something more technical, I was only meaning that Wales actually seem more hungry for the ball and are chasing around trying to get it.  England lacked that.

I think this is the first time I’ve really engaged in a rllmuk football tournament thread (I may be wrong, it’s been over a decade) so I’m not sure what “past this nonsense” means.  :P