Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy

10 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Did they? I always thought it was a one of the 'easier' groups (that being a relative term, of course); Italy would likely win it, but nether Switzerland nor Turkey are ever teams to fear so I would've expected Wales to be second favourites (I didn't read pretty much anything about the tournament beforehand though, so perhaps pundits were less optimistic?) Potentially their last 16 match could be very favourable too if Belgium don't win the group.

It was considered far from an easy group. Italy are great as you can see, Switzerland haven't lost since October despite playing some really good sides and Turkey were considered by many to be dark horses of the tournament, surprising them with how awful they've been.

2 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Did they? I always thought it was a one of the 'easier' groups (that being a relative term, of course); Italy would likely win it, but nether Switzerland nor Turkey are ever teams to fear so I would've expected Wales to be second favourites (I didn't read pretty much anything about the tournament beforehand though, so perhaps pundits were less optimistic?) Potentially their last 16 match could be very favourable too if Belgium don't win the group.

The Swiss were ranked in the top 10 coming into this tournament and a lot of people fancied Turkey as dark horses based on their qualifying form. 

I had Wales squeezing through as a 3rd place in my prediction, which is the most any pundit I read predicted for them. 

11 minutes ago, Marlowe said:

Nah, accidental handball is enough to disallow a goal if it's in the immediate action leading to a goal, which that was. 

ah sound. The same doesn’t apply to an accidental handball from a defender?

Also, given that Donnarumma is out of contract, why haven't more clubs been sniffing around?

Edit: Ah, he's apparently signed for PSG. I guess his wage demands put him out of the bracket of most clubs, who all have other priorities.

Only PSG can afford him. His agent is Minao Riola who wants a fee of £20m, the contract to be only two years so he can get another fee in two years time when the market should be back to normal and Donarumma wants wages of £8m a year. They called Milan’s bluff expecting a better offer when the qualified of the CL and Maldini told them to do one.

If Wales weren't already pretty much nailed on to qualify then they are with that result. Switzerland would need to win 3-0 on top of Wales losing 3-0 for Wales to lose 2nd place and 4 Points will almost certainly be enough for a best third place even with a negative GD.

Turkey are gone even if they beat Switzerland I would think. Switzerland winning would put them through as a best third place team.

Second place in Group A plays runner up in Group B and I'd favour Wales to win over Finland or Russia (Denmark unlikely to finish 2nd unless they can get a point at least from Belgium tomorrow). Assuming they don't upset Italy and win the group.

12 hours ago, Gabe said:

Italy are looking sharp and very entertaining. I've never seen an Italian team so eager to attack!

Yeah this is my feeling too. I honestly don't recognise that Italy team at all, I've never seen them play with guile and staying on the front foot. Really good to see though, especially after they didn't make the last tournament. 

I don't imagine many/anybody thought he would be able to play top-level football again, did they? For starters I don't think any insurer would want to take on that risk, but yeah, that does seems to confirm it beyond doubt. Dreadful shame for the guy, but in context that's a small price to pay. 

From what I've read ICDs don't stop anyone from participating in sports these days, but as ryodi intimated, I think Italy have a law (or laws) that outright bans people with ICDs or similar from competing in competitive sports.

So at the very least Inter will have to sell him.  Dunno about retirement though, he's younger than Daley Blind and he's still playing (for Ajax).

An ICD is basically a personal defib.  If the heart goes into a rhythm incompatible with life, it shocks.  The shock stops the heart but the idea being that that in itself stimulates it/the brain to kick it to start beating again.  So it’s different to a pacemaker.

Playing top level sport with one would be vaguely terrifying but I suppose someone like that would want to keep fit and he could have an episode even just out for a run on his own.  At least in sport he wouldn’t be alone.  If he wants to keep playing I hope he can :) 

3 hours ago, Gabe said:

I don't imagine many/anybody thought he would be able to play top-level football again, did they? For starters I don't think any insurer would want to take on that risk, but yeah, that does seems to confirm it beyond doubt. Dreadful shame for the guy, but in context that's a small price to pay. 

Yeah he's a multi millionaire living in Italy who's life has been saved due to his amazing job.

A positive thing to come out of this is the realisation that life saving equipment is needed by all types of companies.

Hopefully he can ambassador for that.

is it making it better because teams have a shot at that third place qualifying position so even the minnows try to score? I haven't thought this through at all but ordinarily I'd have picked these two out to play a tediously cagey 0-0.

26 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Another good game this. I can’t remember a tournament so many watchable group games.

every tournament the first 2 rounds of groups games are declared the best most attacking tournament ever, then it gets to the time when teams can get ko'd and things tighten up somewhat.

24 minutes ago, Gotters said:

every tournament the first 2 rounds of groups games are declared the best most attacking tournament ever, then it gets to the time when teams can get ko'd and things tighten up somewhat.

We might see one team in each third group game actually going for it though - for example Turkey have nothing to lose against Wales and the Swiss will equally need a result. I guess the hope is there are fewer dead rubbers this time. 

• gospvg changed the title to Euro 2020 - Come on England!
  • gospvg changed the title to Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy