Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy

6 minutes ago, artz said:

This “best 3rd place” stuff is bollocks.

Can someone explain? I'm not sure I understand - do 2 teams or 3 teams qualify per group?

2 minutes ago, Gabzy said:

Can someone explain? I'm not sure I understand - do 2 teams or 3 teams qualify per group?

Two teams qualify from each group, then the four best third place teams qualify as well, meaning 8 teams total are eliminated in the group stage.

3 minutes ago, Keiths_Dad said:

Two teams qualify from each group, then the four best third place teams qualify as well, meaning 8 teams total are eliminated in the group stage.

Ahh thanks. So could come down to goal difference? I'm glad Portugal won 3-0!

13 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I can only assume the euphoria of going on to lift the trophy is why you've forgotten third place is how Portugal got out of their group in 2016.

That is exactly why.

1 hour ago, Gabzy said:

Ahh thanks. So could come down to goal difference? I'm glad Portugal won 3-0!

UEFA have got a nice summary of where everyone stands already and the rules

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news/026a-1286c3028f34-c072d2f81d9b-1000--who-needs-what-to-go-through/

Plenty of teams can qualify from tomorrow with Italy able to win their group if they win and Wales don't beat Turkey. Austria or Netherlands in Group C and then Slovakia in Group E could all win their groups depending on other results in the second round of games.

this strikes me as a good point on VAR, not the whole argument but valid.

I also liked the point I heard on offside that a defender can play somebody onside from the other side of the pitch but a striker can be deemed to be not interfering with play a few feet away - I don't want the favour being given to defenders here but its a valid point I'd never considered before. 

10 hours ago, Plissken said:

Apparently this is the official guidance.

Same as with the last few tournaments - I remember this rule from way back in 2010.

9 hours ago, artz said:

This “best 3rd place” stuff is bollocks.

9 hours ago, Gabzy said:

It's the same as with Mexico 86 and Italia 90 - in which it let Argentina get through and stumble all the way to the final.

4 hours ago, Gotters said:

I also liked the point I heard on offside that a defender can play somebody onside from the other side of the pitch but a striker can be deemed to be not interfering with play a few feet away - I don't want the favour being given to defenders here but its a valid point I'd never considered before

While I agree there's too much leniency for the attacker on occasion (see Lukaku's first goal against Russia for a recent example) I'm not too keen on the comparison - though I'm struggling to articulate why.

In short, I think it tries to draw an equivalence between the attacker and defender in the law when they play two completely different roles within it. The defender defines the line, the attacker operates within its confines. By making the comparison, the point invites notions like removing the concept of interering with play (a throwback to decades ago, which I don't think many people want) or allowing a defender to be judged not interfering (completely destroys the offside rule). 

I think it's best to just focus on the point that an attacker pretty close to play has an impact on the defence even when they're not physically reaching for the ball, and this should be taken into account.

11 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Should be. Assuming it won't. Makes no odds if Pogba has laughed it off or not.

They could ban him for a match, or however many matches ban you would get for being sent off for violent conduct.  I was taking the precedent of Saurez and his many biting incidents, which each resulted in a lengthy ban.  It seems crazy to just let it go after it's been clearly caught on camera though.  Incidentally, the more I see of Rudiger the more I think he's a complete bellend.

Harsh on Finland. They could have got a couple of goals in that half if they’d been more sharp up front.

Enjoyed watching Kamara send some Russian boys for a Twix and a quenchie cup a number of times 👋🏻 😎 

29 minutes ago, SeanR said:

That ronaldo’s alright, as it goes…

Easy to be above it all once you've taken all the money right?

Be healthy, people!

On that front, I'm amazed it's 2021 and still international teams don't wear sponsors on their shirts during the game. I'd have thought the omnipresent tentacles of capitalism would have ensnared them by now.

17 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

On that front, I'm amazed it's 2021 and still international teams don't wear sponsors on their shirts during the game. I'd have thought the omnipresent tentacles of capitalism would have ensnared them by now.

Like the Olympics I think having sponsors on team shirts would harm the value of the main title sponsors of those events, it’s a lot more cost effective to get your logo seen in a shirt deal costing a few millions pounds than a tournament deal costing tens of millions. The European Championships are designed to make UEFA money, same with FIFA and the World Cup which is why it will never happen.

The thing I think people are missing about Ronaldo's gesture is that it might have been directed at his son, Christiano Jr.  Ronaldo has previously said he doesn't like CR Jr eating crisps and drinking Coke.  :lol:

Anyway, come on Wales!

• gospvg changed the title to Euro 2020 - Come on England!
  • gospvg changed the title to Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy