Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy

3 minutes ago, multi said:

Crikey Mr Poodle, I know we've all a drink, etc. but please chill out. You seem very annoyed.

Apologies but the comments from these people who normally have no interest in football or the England national team and see this as a platform to spout their drivel has got me quite riled.

3 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

The national anthems of all international teams playing away from home are booed by the home fans.  This happens in every single international match

Citation needed.

All good points, I just hope England fans remain on the better side when the wins dry up. 

Definitely not the worst fans in the world etc, but people are nicer when they are happy. You only sing when you're winning after all. 

3 hours ago, footle said:

I mean, they’re an astonishingly small proportion: what about the small kids on your street with their england flags? They’re not harassing the Danes or being arseholes.

Have you been on the streets in the UK? All kids are little bastards these days. 

I'm hoping for an open, entertaining match and may the better team win. England have been impressive in their final 16 games and although Italy (the dirty bastards) look like a slightly more skillful side, I think England are in with a good shout. 

Just now, Blue said:

I'm hoping for an open, entertaining match and may the better team win. England have been impressive in the final 16 games and although Italy (the dirty bastards) look like a slightly more skillful side, I think England are in with a good shout. 

I think if Italy do the rolling around thing to waste time and we’re losing it could really boil over on the pitch and in the street.

Sure England do it too, every football team do it but there was a 10-15 minute spell in one of Italys games that was pretty infuriating….and now they’re playing us.

I got bets on Italy to win so if we lose it won’t hurt so much :+)

26 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Citation needed.

Well, the majority of international matches I've watched have involved England.  Whenever they play away their anthem gets booed, and I've seen it in a great many International matches that haven't included England.  I can't prove that it happens at every single one though, I suppose.  I expect that means that nothing I wrote was of value.  So it goes.

29 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

There's also Jack Grealish who during an interview inadvertantly revealed that he had no idea what an encyclopedia was

As ludicrous as that appears at first glance, truth is, probably no-one has read an encyclopedia since the Internet age, to the point where they had been relegated to history before the likes of Grealish were old enough to read.

1 minute ago, feltmonkey said:

Well, the majority of international matches I've watched have involved England.  Whenever they play away their anthem gets booed, and I've seen it in a great many International matches that haven't included England.  I can't prove that it happens at every single one though, I suppose.  I expect that means that nothing I wrote was of value.  So it goes.

Not at all, I picked up on it before I'd read the rest which I pretty much agree with. 

I feel there's an unsavoury portion of English fans who have been emboldened by Brexit and the shitshow that's followed and are a little more shameless than they otherwise would be. I'd hope that anyone could enjoy England's success without being tarred by association with those wankers.

2 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

I do sort of wish World in Motion was soundtracking this glorious run. An Italian influenced pie eyed piano house banger about love and unity that’s clearly had two pingers is made to measure for Southgate’s summer of worker’s revolution.  

And the phrase 'Arrivederci, it's one on one' a perfect summary of the final. 

1 hour ago, Azrael said:

Have you been on the streets in the UK? All kids are little bastards these days. 

Seven year olds? I think you need to leave your bubble, wherever it is.

51 minutes ago, Blue said:

As ludicrous as that appears at first glance, truth is, probably no-one has read an encyclopedia since the Internet age, to the point where they had been relegated to history before the likes of Grealish were old enough to read.

It’d be interesting to hear where and when most of the critics last saw a paper copy.

I reckon for myself it’d be the secondary school library in the mid-90s, and even then it was just there because a library had to have one - I can’t ever remember anyone actually using it.

10 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Relatedly, this was quite nice to see:

Nice to see an improving trend, sure, but if properly representative, those numbers are a pretty bleak reflection of our society. 

I hope England get tonked. 4 nil.

I am English and this whole engerrrrlaaaand thing is embarrassing. It's eleven overpaid players kicking a ball around who will win some corrupt tournament set up years ago to rinse money out of fans. Win or lose we then all go back to our usual lives and nothing changes and they their millionaire mansion's. The disconnect is insane. 

If people put as much effort into stopping global warming as they do shouting engerrrrlllannd it's coming home shite, the world would be a better place. If every footballer player gave half their salary and bonuses towards kids in poverty, the world would be a better place. If greedy fuckers didn't exploit their fans by selling an England kit for £120, the world would be a better place 

Footballs a fucking joke.

44 minutes ago, carlospie said:

I am English and this whole engerrrrlaaaand thing is embarrassing. It's eleven overpaid players kicking a ball around who will win some corrupt tournament set up years ago to rinse money out of fans. Win or lose we then all go back to our usual lives and nothing changes and they their millionaire mansion's. The disconnect is insane. 

If people put as much effort into stopping global warming as they do shouting engerrrrlllannd it's coming home shite, the world would be a better place. If every footballer player gave half their salary and bonuses towards kids in poverty, the world would be a better place. If greedy fuckers didn't exploit their fans by selling an England kit for £120, the world would be a better place 

Everything you said applies to every football association and football supporter from every country that's taken part soooo wouldn't the more balanced approach be to not watch the tournament at all rather than pick on your home team as the embodiment of all you think is evil with modern football?

6 hours ago, carlospie said:

If you want to start a thread about the ethics of modern football, or the influence of capitalism, nationalism etc. go ahead. But this isn't the place for this. If we can stick to the topic, please.

It’s a beautiful morning here in North London!

What a massive day this is. 

Coping strategies are kicking in. Getting the house extra tidy 😂 

Come on!

The most important pre match debate isn't about line ups or why the Italians deserve to win because of Englands imperial past whilst they've got nothing in their history dodgy at all no sireee.

It's a simple question of ITV or BBC ?

Is anybody going full Matterface on ITV hub, I can see some of the Scottish masochists maybe making the whole thing as unbearable as possible for themselves but England fans, has to BBC surely ?

BBC for me on a Sky channel as forgo UHD but don't get goal warnings from cheers at other houses before they go in due to lag.

The lag things is really bad whenever there are two or more screens anywhere. A pub in Hornsey in 2018 being a particularly bad experience, one TV being about 5 seconds ahead of the main one in the adjacent room. Not cool!

Anyway, yeah BBC.