IGNORED

Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy

disperse and recoagulate

4 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I don't personally mind the rivalry at all, what bothers me is when people try to justify it by pointing out how evil English people are, each one more eviler than the last.

Typical arrogance from an Englishman there.  😆

Chiellini is an awesome individual.  Studied and gained a BA and Masters (with honours) in Business while playing for Juventus.  Wrote a biography of Gaetano Scirea.  Wrote his autobiography and donated the profits to a Covid charity.

The hosts haven’t won the Euros since France in 1984 and with Portugal and France both losing in the final when hosting the tournament since then. I know England technically are not the hosts but that’s not a great record for nations playing the final in their own stadium.

5 minutes ago, ryodi said:

The hosts haven’t won the Euros since France in 1984 and with Portugal and France both losing in the final when hosting the tournament since then. I know England technically are not the hosts but that’s not a great record for nations playing the final in their own stadium.

I liked the stat that no country has won Eurovision and the Euros in the same year, but also no country has received 0 points in Eurovision and then won the Euros. So looks like we aren't going to have a winner either way.

22 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

Taking a little step back and looking at the bigger picture here, I'm never going to be happy to see England win a football match, that's just how rivalries work, particularly when they run deeper than results on the pitch.

Euro 2020 is no different in that sense, but it's different in others.

But also on that front, this is an England team who are actually very good, and have been for a few years now. They've progressed since the World Cup, they're playing an effective home tournament, and have played with a newfound composure and assurance. If they win the tournament, they'll be excellent value for it. So when the media are bigging up expectations, it doesn't feel misplaced. They are contenders.

I like the players and manager. I like their attitudes and their commitment to taking the knee in the face of opposition from a subsection of fans and their own shitty government. I think my only wish is for Rashford to have played more of a role, not from a footballing perspective, but because of his behaviour off the field over the last eighteen months.

And lastly, even though you're all going to burn in the fiery pits of football hell for having the temerity to be English, I've enjoyed reading the positivity and excitement in the thread over the last few weeks, and in particular this last week. It's what football is really all about as a fan, and why we're all in it. You've had years and years of lows and here's the high. I'm extremely envious, but then fuck it, I was elated just five years ago when Robbie Brady headed home the winner against Italy to see Ireland into the knockout stages while England stumbled through the group stages and flunked out to Iceland. Different expectations, different heights, and it'll all come around again.

I really can't wait for the final.

And I really hope Italy win.

Yeah this is kind of where I am as well. I was never a particularly rabid England hater (I was born there after all), but I did always get a laugh when they sad tromboned out of yet another tournament due to underperforming stars. This England team is a proper, cohesive football team thanks to woke warrior and Villa legend, Southgate the magnificent. I read his open letter to England just this morning and it felt good man. Almost as good as reading about that thick tory mp following on his phone because he's a sad little man.

(I deleted the paragraph on the media because I successfully extracted myself from the discourse on football some years ago and I don't miss it at all)

20 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Chiellini is an awesome individual.  Studied and gained a BA and Masters (with honours) in Business while playing for Juventus.  Wrote a biography of Gaetano Scirea.  Wrote his autobiography and donated the profits to a Covid charity.

His psychological warfare before the penalties on Tuesday was amazing stuff. I loved it.

I'd rather people gained some perspective. Football has nothing to do with any history between our nations. English people are just people, not the enemy. They deserve to feel happy now and again. There's enough negativity and hate in the world without adding to it. I prefer to focus on the real enemy, who we might have a chance of getting away from where most of them won't. 

15 minutes ago, Blue said:

The knots people tie themselves in over a game of football, especially we Scottish. Have some class. If you want England to lose, keep it to yourself and when speaking of it publicly, wish them luck. 

Good luck for Sunday, England. 

I love the layers in this post.  Beautifully done.  :lol:

@Fry Crayola I think you missed the joke.

I'm not really bothered, but I don't understand the mentality of actually wanting your friends who you chat to on the internet about football every day to be devastated on Sunday. That's a bit weird.

I think I did miss the joke, yes!

As I said a few pages back, the happiness a lot of you are feeling is great to see and I'm delighted for each of you, it's part of what sport is about. And I'd be happy individually for every player in the squad doing their bit, if they win the trophy. They'll deserve it.

All I ask is that you respect my wishes for (checks fixture list to make sure) Italy to win so that I and they can be happy instead.

After all, it's because it's only a game that I get to feel this way. I'm not about to hope a plague infests the country, that tens of thousands starve, or economic disaster hits. And not just because they're already happening, either!

1 hour ago, Boothjan said:

Each to their own, but I never actively want any football team - club or international - to fail through any sort of malicious prejudice, or even for irrational reasons.  It just doesn't bother me.  Fine, there are plenty of sides I don't like, but a borderline obsession with wanting them to fuck up?  Nah - that's not what football is about for me.  

But we can all agree 'fuck Spurs' tho right?

It's the first time England are not only doing well, but also have a likeable team.

And some England fans can't believe ABE are still judging us on past actions. They feel an air of unfairness that despite how far we have come not only as a team and our football culture, but also as a fanbase, it's being overlooked by those who point to the genuine horrors of our past as a reason to still despise us.

And as a Millwall fan, let me say to my fellow England fans feeling this was for the first time... HA HA YOU AMATUERS. DRINK IT IN. IT'S NEVER GOING AWAY. You feel it's unfair? You merely adopted this misery. I was born into it, moulded by it, I didn't see the press praise our community work until I was a man... etc.

(Leeds fan @Mike1812will probably have similar thoughts.)

Another thing to note is that, well, our national sides are all shit. You think we'd waste time on hoping England lose if there was a chance we could win?

In international football, sometimes watching England lose is all we have!

Taking that away probably runs counter to the Geneva convention.

19 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I think I did miss the joke, yes!

As I said a few pages back, the happiness a lot of you are feeling is great to see and I'm delighted for each of you, it's part of what sport is about. And I'd be happy individually for every player in the squad doing their bit, if they win the trophy. They'll deserve it.

All I ask is that you respect my wishes for (checks fixture list to make sure) Italy to win so that I and they can be happy instead.

After all, it's because it's only a game that I get to feel this way. I'm not about to hope a plague infests the country, that tens of thousands starve, or economic disaster hits. And not just because they're already happening, either!

Just to be clear, I only tagged you in my post in order to point out @Blue's joke.  The last paragraph is not in reference to you.  Anyone can support whoever they like, of course.  :hug:

The people who are inevitably going to be revelling in the misery of England fans in this thread on Sunday are the ones I consider a bit weird. 

Yep, I think there's always that ugly undercurrent of people for whom it runs a bit deeper, getting into actual hatred. And it's not limited to international football at all - there's plenty of club fans for whom any sort of success or luck for rival clubs is met with extreme vitriol, and I don't really understand what that's all about.

5 hours ago, Festoon said:

Absolute fucking lol. The utter penis.

2616.jpg

Has he put whatever that England shirt is over his work shirt.  Please get Covid again and not be able to go to the final and.....other things happen.

The England team could get some of Scotland on side for Sunday by issuing a collective statement saying the current English government are total cunts and they reject everything they stand for.  

It won't happen, but would be amazing if we win and then the team refuse to go to whatever bullshit reception Boris wants to throw for them in a couple of weeks time ala some sports teams in the U.S refusing to go to the White House and/or they all spend the next few weeks going on about 'woke' issues in every interview.

What does it feel like to win a major championship?

Great, but not as great as it would be if the government stopped trying to drown immigrants in the English Channel/tried to feed hungry kids/stopped jingoistic flag bullshit/defended people booing us taking the knee/etc.

2 hours ago, Blue said:

The knots people tie themselves in over a game of football, especially we Scottish. Have some class. If you want England to lose, keep it to yourself and when speaking of it publicly, wish them luck. 

Good luck for Sunday, England. 

Fuck that. C'mon Italy!😉

*i bet them to win before the tournament. Good odds as well!