Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy

Fucking brilliant! Didn't think we'd ever make the jump from semis to final in my life time.

Big shout out to the ITV commentator for making me use the mute button on my remote for the first time. Three minutes to go and he's telling us to bask in it?! Get fucked. Kane taking a penalty and he's telling us how many Kane has scored?! Get fucked.

Also really thought Wrighty was gonna get a little testy with Keane at the very end there. Not sure they ever made it up.

18 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

How fucking brilliant has Sterling been?

He's been extraordinary, has he ever played with as much confidence and desire, every time he gets the ball he's running at defenders and most of the time getting in behind. He's playing like his life depends on it, like he's unleashing a season of unfulfilled playing time, completely fresh in a way you rarely see players.

Definitely my player of the tournament, he's changed every game for England. It's like when Robben was endlessly dangerous for Netherlands ten years ago. 

Foden didn't do much. :lol: Far less urgent than i expected, unless that was asked of him, slipped in 2 passes in behind and was quick keeping the ball moving. Did a neat turn out wide but then his pass didn't meet the receiver. I was hoping he'd be explosive like he was when he came on against Liverpool earlier this year. Oh well at least he appeared again after the second group game before England's tournament potentially could have ended. Same line up for the final as today I'd expect, though being outplayed in the middle is concerning, Denmark were more confident on the ball and England still play like underdogs. Italy are so deadly converting chances i expect them to edge it. 

32 minutes ago, Clipper said:

boy did I choose the wrong year to not have a TV license :D

well, if you watch it on ITV HUB, it's not really live, it's delayed by a good few minutes, which negates the need for a licence ;)

5 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

He's been extraordinary, has he ever played with as much confidence and desire, every time he gets the ball he's running at defenders and most of the time getting in behind. He's playing like his life depends on it, like he's unleashing a season of unfulfilled playing time, completely fresh in a way you rarely see players.

Definitely my player of the tournament, he's changed every game for England. It's like when Robben was endlessly dangerous for Netherlands ten years ago. 

Foden didn't do much. :lol: Far less urgent than i expected, unless that was asked of him, slipped in 2 passes in behind and was quick keeping the ball moving. Did a neat turn out wide but then his pass didn't meet the receiver. I was hoping he'd be explosive like he was when he came on against Liverpool earlier this year. Oh well at least he appeared again after the second group game before England's tournament potentially could have ended. Same line up for the final as today I'd expect, though being outplayed in the middle is concerning, Denmark were more confident on the ball and England still play like underdogs. Italy are so deadly converting chances i expect them to edge it. 

Our tactic and shape for ET2 was to slow it down as much as possible and keep the ball so Foden didn't have chance to shine. His time will come, we have such a young squad for the most part. Whether or not we win this, we should have the confidence - along with the undoubted talent - to go far in the next couple at least. A semi and a final in the last two tournaments, and many would argue we're not quite playing to capacity. Future is bright!

15 minutes ago, Straps said:

Also really thought Wrighty was gonna get a little testy with Keane at the very end there. Not sure they ever made it up.

Yeah, I wondered if that was going to develop into something - the way he said (paraphrasing) "I think it might bother some people" made me wonder if he was hinting at a race issue?

14 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Have a few days to learn the words to this. 

A proper banger of an anthem.

God Save the Queen needs to get in the bin.

1 hour ago, Harrisown said:

I would hope somewhere like Wembley would have amazing surveillance and they can catch up with him. I kinda hope it doesn’t get blown up in the media because it might spur others to do it, but they need to catch him and do something to him.

I did the old Wembley tour in the late 90s and they showed how they could zoom in on every seat. So I'd imagine now they could probably scan my face and bring up footage of me looking gutted at the end of England/Croatia (wally with a brolly), Cardiff vs Portsmouth, Cardiff vs Blackpool and Cardiff vs Liverpool.

So laser pen twat is probably already having his door kicked in.

Big worry is this will now happen across the leagues next season - why throw a flare when you can spend half a game trying to blind the opposition keeper.

Seriously can't believe we're in the final! Watched it in a pub in Old Street and had the best time, such a great atmosphere. The streets were so mad afterwards! Loving all the hot takes from the anyone but England crowd (as well as from the people who have clearly never watched football before). Why does everyone hate Kane so much?! Watching England dominate possession in the final ten minutes was a sight to behold, yet so many of you moaning and complaining about it. Whatever, should be a great final on Sunday! 

I don't think the Italians having 1 more day to recover is a big issue is it?  It's probably offset by our home advantage.  And that we're a little younger...have more attacking threat that can get at Chiellini/Bonucci later on?  

WIll be really fucking interesting, anyway. Roll on the weekend!  😍

Was 20 minutes late for a Teams meeting this morning cause of the game. As soon as I dialled in everyone went quiet until someone said "Well?" Cue me cheering then everyone joining in. Gotta love Aussie support when you're not competing in a sport they care about.

Haven’t watched any football matches for ages, but I’ve noticed that offside flags are being raised extremely late in this tournament. Has guidance changed at some point? 

23 minutes ago, skondo said:

Haven’t watched any football matches for ages, but I’ve noticed that offside flags are being raised extremely late in this tournament. Has guidance changed at some point? 

yes. They let the play go and if it’s wrong it’s corrected by VAR.

I had that feeling in the pit of my stomach last night. The feeling I used to get watching England play at major tournaments. But I am so happy we won.

Sterling is so good. The Italian defenders have a job on their hands. His dribbling and positional play are incredible.

I don't normally drink on a school night. Urghhh. 

I thought it was a penalty. It was a bump and then contact was made. I'm not sure I can stomach the media saturation. Four solid days of that song too. 

Another good performance though. Just one more to go. Italy are going to be a tough side to play and I don't think Wembley will be an issue for them. If we win, we'll need an early goal. 

1 hour ago, skondo said:

It's to increase the DRAMA

If previous England squads showed this much belief, professionalism, drive and focus as these guys, we'd have been far more successful over the past few decades.

Delighted with the way we handled ourselves - the character we showed to get ourselves back into the game when Denmark had us on the ropes was tremendous. 

We actually look like a really good side when we click into gear, and we're actually seeing that happen several times each game now. 

Sterling, Kane and MacGuire all superb on the night.

Going to be a very long few days and the nerves will be turned up several notches that I didn't even know existed.

I've been waiting a long time to say this because the last few years have been the polar opposite, but what a great night to be English!

8 hours ago, Keiths_Dad said:

It was only Kane dropping deep and bringing the rest of the team into the game that kept us in it. Denmark had our number until Henderson came on and shored (sured?) things up, I'd have Kane as man of the match because it was him making up the numbers that stopped us getting overrun.

Exactly, Kane last night was playing very similarly to how he plays for Spurs these days, he deserves the MOTM purely for that sublime pass to Saka that started our first goal.

• gospvg changed the title to Euro 2020 - Come on England!
  • gospvg changed the title to Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy