Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy

Also - as angry as I was with our fans booing the German anthem - how amazing did the celebrations look when we scored?

Some proper crazy, people jumping all over each other type celebrations that I don't think I've seen in any other stadium, not even in Copenhagen.

Gave me goosebumps watching it back just now.

27 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Also - as angry as I was with our fans booing the German anthem - how amazing did the celebrations look when we scored?

Genuine question, but why were you annoyed about the booing of the German national anthem?

You know how much Germans despise England, right?

11 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Genuine question, but why were you annoyed about the booing of the German national anthem?

Well, that's certainly a take. If that's off the back of watching a box set of watching Dad's Army, I guess I can empathise. 

15 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Don't be so stupid

2 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Offensive bollocks.

I know a fair few Germans and it is not an exaggeration to say they love England rather than despise it.

Booing any anthem is moronic and disrespectful, let alone self defeating as it only riles up the opposition. 

I know a fair few Germans as my step sister is married to one and our familys often meet up here or Munich, and I wouldn't say they love our football team. Infact from experience they love taking the piss whenever we get kicked out of a major tournament. Me and my Dad are usually met with a few "So how did England do at *insert tournament".

Its not as hate filled as alot of international rivalarys especially theres with Holland but they certainly see us as competition and enjoy beating us.

3 minutes ago, artz said:

Don't be so stupid

Enlighten me. I've been living in Germany for over 10 years.

I don't know what's really so surprising to be honest? German fans, in the majority, hate England as much as the rest of the world.

I'm not sure why you think differently?

They fucking HATE England. I mean really despise the country.

What am I missing here?

13 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Offensive bollocks.

I know a fair few Germans and it is not an exaggeration to say they love England rather than despise it.

Booing any anthem is moronic and disrespectful, let alone self defeating as it only riles up the opposition. 

Are you kidding me??

Where are you based? Maybe south of Germany is a bit different?

I don't know a single German that likes the England team but I'm happy to learn.

Just now, Boothjan said:

Because its disrespectful, jingoistic bullshit which has no place in football. Or in any other part of modern society.

I don't care who hates who, why or for how long. It's a game of football and asking fans to show respect for a couple of minutes isn't unreasonable. 

Did you watch the England v Scotland match the other week?

2 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I also lived in Germany and never encountered this hate for the English, only a mild affection, so may I suggest to Simmy that he stops booing the German national anthem?

I'm not booing the anthem cause I'm not a knob.

I'm just saying what I see around me. I genuinely hate to break it to you but England isn't a fan favourite.

I'm genuinely a bit stunned here - was it the thought that Germany respected) looked up to England?

I think Simmy is talking about them hating the England football team and the rest of you thinking he’s saying they despise the entire country and its population?

I went to Cologne once. It was beautiful, a wonderful city. Lovely people all very relaxed I felt.

In other news extra time!

England are going allllll the way.

14 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Can I just add this?

3E389338-D0E2-46C6-94CB-38E564700820.jpeg

Laughing at a little girl crying...fucking hell this thread🙄.  I bet there are a fair few Dad's in here that wouldn't find it remotely funny to see their kid having the piss taken out of them.

11 minutes ago, Simmy said:

I don't know a single German that likes the England team but I'm happy to learn.

Right. Hardly a surprise. But your leap from that to 'despise England' is ridiculous. The Netherlands mind, fair enough.

• gospvg changed the title to Euro 2020 - Come on England!
  • gospvg changed the title to Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy