Jump to content

Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown - PS4 Exclusive, Out Now as Part of PS+ June/July 2021.


Kayin Amoh
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've had to change from good to best only but that still doesn't guarantee a great connection. Really frustrating because the game is just superb, but having to backdash the start of every round to find out what toolset isn't going to work because of the delay is killing it for me. Long waits when set to best connection only too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah. The longest two sessions I've had were that room match we had on launch and a fairly long ranked session the next day. Both were fine.

 

I do notice Japanese players are asking on Twitter for a same region option - maybe as you improve in rank it's casting the net further afield and killing the connection?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rsdio said:

Yeah, the amount of variability in people's experiences seems to be the one thing that's truly consistent with this. I think he said he's on the west coast of Japan, are you closer to Tokyo?

 

 


I’m near Osaka, slap bang in the middle of Honshu. I’ve had another evening of great connections in ranked (room as dodgy as usual - they need to get the filter working). Although I always feel the need to caveat that with the fact that ‘an evening’ of VF5 for me is just a handful of matches, as I can’t take the stress of unknown opponents for too long.

 

I always have it set to Best and the matches always come within seconds, could it be a time zone thing? Right now, at the time of posting this it is late evening in Japan so the most people over here should be playing.

 

Anyway, a question if I may - in the command training, when you get to the moves that require to be done while rising, how do you get yourself knocked over so you can do it? The training dummy doesn’t attack 😕

 

I’ve only ever used Lei-Fei since VF4 Evo but this game wants you to use 2 characters for the trophies, so I’m trying to pick one that might play similarly - hence the command training. Right now I’m thinking Pai as she has some similar flappy hand moves, but the executions seem very different. Not sure how well I will get on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a quick hour on my lunch break and most fights took 3-4 minutes waiting in the lobby, not great connections once in either. I can't get fibre so am on regular broadband so not the greatest connection, but i do have NAT 2 (open) so i don't think there's anything else I can do router wise...

26 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Anyway, a question if I may - in the command training, when you get to the moves that require to be done while rising, how do you get yourself knocked over so you can do it? The training dummy doesn’t attack 😕

 

I'm using a controller without an R3 button, and usually after 5 seconds of inactivity the CPU will place the enemy where it needs to be (near a wall, back turned etc). I can't recall if it does this for rising attacks, mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

 

I do notice Japanese players are asking on Twitter for a same region option - maybe as you improve in rank it's casting the net further afield and killing the connection?


If they implement that, there will be people in some parts of the world who will never get a game ever again 😕

 

I wish they would put that energy into pressuring for better netcode, rather than selfish demands that only would help themselves.

 

Quote

I can't recall if it does this for rising attacks, mind.

 

Not as far as I could tell, but maybe I was too impatient to leave the controls alone for that long? I’ve certainly seen it reset for the backwards facing moves etc, but never for a rising attack.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Darwock said:


If they implement that, there will be people in some parts of the world who will never get a game ever again 😕

 

I wish they would put that energy into pressuring for better netcode, rather than selfish demands that only would help themselves.

 

Definitely not adverse to this solution, which is better for all concerned, just wondering if that could be one of the causes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it possible to rank down from losing in this? I certainly hope so, otherwise I’m eventually going to come to a point (probably very soon) where I am way out of my depth.

 

I suspect it doesn’t do that though, because today I met an auto-firing AFK player with 372 matches who was 1st Dan or so. By rights he should have crashed all the way back to 10th kyu...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/06/2021 at 11:20, Rsdio said:

Yeah, the amount of variability in people's experiences seems to be the one thing that's truly consistent with this. I think he said he's on the west coast of Japan, are you closer to Tokyo?

 

 

I feel bit dirty for thinking about it this way but I'm starting to wonder if I should just go back to Shun since with his mind games and nonsense he feels like a better choice to have actual, y'know, fun within a variable online environment. Shun and fun even rhymes! It's a sign.


I play Taka and Kage. When I was “decent” at FS my Taka was probably stronger. I’ve more or less abandoned him completely in this because of the poor online. Stupid kage mod low mixups all the way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My delusions of being half decent are finally gone after hitting a run of 4 or 5 Wolf players at 5th Dan or so. How exactly are you supposed to escape from the endless chain of head grabs and prone attacks, other than landing an instant recovery the first time he knocks you over and hopefully avoiding the whole lot?

 

I felt like a total bystander. I’m sure there must be a way to escape the grabs but I couldn’t find it.

 

(I also couldn’t find any attacks to use that could beat Akira to the punch, so to speak - after a blocked attack he was still faster every time)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a much better experience on this yesterday - changing connection to any, disconnects to any, and i was getting matched up quickly, but they were all 'green' on the accept screen, and were actually decent connections. Regarding disconnects, if they quit, I get the win anyway so who cares?

 

51 minutes ago, Darwock said:

My delusions of being half decent are finally gone after hitting a run of 4 or 5 Wolf players at 5th Dan or so. How exactly are you supposed to escape from the endless chain of head grabs and prone attacks, other than landing an instant recovery the first time he knocks you over and hopefully avoiding the whole lot?

 

I felt like a total bystander. I’m sure there must be a way to escape the grabs but I couldn’t find it.

 

(I also couldn’t find any attacks to use that could beat Akira to the punch, so to speak - after a blocked attack he was still faster every time)

 

I haven't played against many Wolf's, but using PKG for quick ground recovery then getting out of sweep range. Sidestep is king, but difficult in some online matches.

 

Jean is the troublesome one for me. When he does his rolling frontkick that triggers stun even on block i'm eating 50-60% huge combos before I hit the ground. Guess wrong on wake up and you've give up the round. He mixes up high and lows real fast so it's hard to guess an opening. When i do sidestep out the way it's usually doubled because i've foolishly mashed to make sure it happens and end up standing at the side of him like an idiot .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Darwock said:

(I also couldn’t find any attacks to use that could beat Akira to the punch, so to speak - after a blocked attack he was still faster every time)


This is all down to the latency of the delay based net code. There aren’t many moves on block that are plus soI suspect the guy is just mashing his next move before yours when really he should be thinking about dealing with what you’re going to do.

 

My best suggestion for this is find your semi fastest move that’s going to give you decent damage and mash it as soon as they’re finishing their combo.

 

A lot of players are relying on online latency to allow them to keep hitting buttons when they’re negative so you need to know what your go to move is when someone it’s doing this and be prepared to start mashing it. You can’t guarantee anything too slow to start up either if they’re always mashing.
 

Also make sure it’s a mid hitting move. If they’re mashing they may move to low punch which will beat any highs you attempt even if you’re first to the draw.

 

I’m using Goh at the minute and I use his 9, P, P which is a mid 2 hit combo that puts them into a spinning knockdown. If they don’t fast get up then you get a ground throw too. This move’s start up is 14f, so slightly slower than jabbing but can lead to like 65 points of damage if they’re constantly mashing moves.

I kill so many people in the early Dans using this alone.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m trying to learn a bit more about how to stay in the fights as my rank has gone above my skill - I can see some places where I am losing out to opponents, firstly (and probably most crucially) on wake up they always have an answer to my rising attack, whereas I never do.

 

It seems like everyone dashes out of range and then when my kick (or whatever) whiffs they are right back in with an attack. Reading about my chosen character’s strengths, apparently he (Lei Fei) has the best okizeme tools in the game?!? So I should have no excuses for sucking so badly at it.

 

I looked at some tactics/move list websites, and it listed wake-up moves with various things like “this move will evade lows and crush mids” which to me sounds like it’s unbeatable on wake-up (as rising attacks are either low or mid only). So why doesn’t it work for me? What am I supposed to do, block first (that makes the evasion of lows pointless surely)? Time it differently?

 

I’m almost tempted to set up my PS2 and go back to VF4 Evo for the in-depth training it had, but I know the system has changed since that game so it would probably be the wrong thing to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not a Lei Fei player and despite a good session at launch I've been too busy to get right back into it yet, but be careful about rising kicks. Tech rolling's also good to get you back in quickly.

 

Ugh, I wish I could help you out but I'm not quite down enough with the systems to do so. I know that certain moves might beat others, but I don't know exactly why as I don't really tend to read up too much on stuff. Could be as simple as the move crushes linear mids but not roundhouses, or maybe the timing's just off. In short, I'm not sure.

 

Akira's QCB+P can crush rising mids for example, but the timing's quite strict and it may have been a VF5 only thing as I haven't landed that in Ultimate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Darwock said:

I’m trying to learn a bit more about how to stay in the fights as my rank has gone above my skill - I can see some places where I am losing out to opponents, firstly (and probably most crucially) on wake up they always have an answer to my rising attack, whereas I never do.

 

It seems like everyone dashes out of range and then when my kick (or whatever) whiffs they are right back in with an attack. Reading about my chosen character’s strengths, apparently he (Lei Fei) has the best okizeme tools in the game?!? So I should have no excuses for sucking so badly at it.

 

I looked at some tactics/move list websites, and it listed wake-up moves with various things like “this move will evade lows and crush mids” which to me sounds like it’s unbeatable on wake-up (as rising attacks are either low or mid only). So why doesn’t it work for me? What am I supposed to do, block first (that makes the evasion of lows pointless surely)? Time it differently?

 

I’m almost tempted to set up my PS2 and go back to VF4 Evo for the in-depth training it had, but I know the system has changed since that game so it would probably be the wrong thing to do.


But surely you don’t have to do a rising attack in wake up?

If you suspect that they’re trying to bait just get up and block or get up and side step.

 

I know it’s tempting to rising attack because you have the invincibility of wake up, but like you say good players will know how to get around this, So if you’re not sure, just get up blocking or be looking to side step an incoming attack.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s more that I wanted to be able to do the punishment side of things better when opponents are on wake up. I do tend to just get up neutral now unless it’s only going to take a little sweep to win the round, or I do a kick by accident through panicky inputs.

 

I’m really struggling to deal with spammy opponents - this is what Vf people refer to as ‘abare’? Recently it’s been Eileen’s relentless low crouch stuff that I can’t ever interrupt (possibly due to the netcode), Sarah’s non-stop kick spam (is it high, is it low, sidestep doesn’t work either!) and Taka who is actually easy to block but takes so much damage that a slight error means I lose anyway.

 

I have identified Lei-Fei’s fastest mid attack (66P) but after blocking Eileen’s low jab when I try and get this one out her next low jab always hits me first.

 

I also looked up some ‘bread and butter’ combos, but opportunities for the first hit are really hard to come by, so I find myself getting beaten while just slavishly trying to land one of them. Not what I would call bread and butter, when I do much better sticking to the simple kicks and punches that I know will connect.

 

I also went through the tutorials, and that final Evasion 4 one - sidestep into an unavoidable attack, but block it with a dashing guard cancel (5 times in a row) - that was a freaking nightmare to pull off, but I did it. I just can’t think why I would ever apply that skill to an actual match. The same result would be achieved by just standing still and blocking, or ducking.

 

I really want to go further with the game but it’s quite demoralizing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, either way be glad you aren't TheMainManSwe or whatever he's called. Having watched him play VF for about five minutes I'm now sure the average age of his audience can't be older than twelve, and he's acting accordingly. Screeching, claiming it has PS2 era graphics, getting upset at being comboed, the whole shebang.

 

Christ on a stick, he's intolerable. And he has an audience, like Logan Paul. The world is fucked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Darwock said:

It’s more that I wanted to be able to do the punishment side of things better when opponents are on wake up. I do tend to just get up neutral now unless it’s only going to take a little sweep to win the round, or I do a kick by accident through panicky inputs.

 

I’m really struggling to deal with spammy opponents - this is what Vf people refer to as ‘abare’? Recently it’s been Eileen’s relentless low crouch stuff that I can’t ever interrupt (possibly due to the netcode), Sarah’s non-stop kick spam (is it high, is it low, sidestep doesn’t work either!) and Taka who is actually easy to block but takes so much damage that a slight error means I lose anyway.

 

I have identified Lei-Fei’s fastest mid attack (66P) but after blocking Eileen’s low jab when I try and get this one out her next low jab always hits me first.

 

I also looked up some ‘bread and butter’ combos, but opportunities for the first hit are really hard to come by, so I find myself getting beaten while just slavishly trying to land one of them. Not what I would call bread and butter, when I do much better sticking to the simple kicks and punches that I know will connect.

 

I also went through the tutorials, and that final Evasion 4 one - sidestep into an unavoidable attack, but block it with a dashing guard cancel (5 times in a row) - that was a freaking nightmare to pull off, but I did it. I just can’t think why I would ever apply that skill to an actual match. The same result would be achieved by just standing still and blocking, or ducking.

 

I really want to go further with the game but it’s quite demoralizing.


okay, so a quick look at frame data says Elieen’s low punch is 12f start up and leaves her at -5 on block. Lei Fei’s 6,6,P is 14f so by the maths you’re going to counter hit any low punch mashing.

 

Go into training, record the opponent mashing low jab and practice your counter hit.

 

Once you have this consistent offline, go online and when you see it do your counter. This is where you start to see the holes in delay net code. If you’re consistently losing it means the delay is sufficient to affect your punish so you’ve got to start compensating by starting your move sooner after the blocked attack. TBH even this may take a few tries but once you get it, you’ll counter them every time so they’ll have to stop.
 

I played a Taka online where the guy wasn’t playing and had just stuck his kick button on but I still almost lost because there was such sufficient delay in my attacks. It took me well into the 2nd round to get the timing down. Once I had it though the kick never got through again.
 

The scenarios for the side step, guard cancel are for things like failed side step as doing this will get you back into guard faster. Also it can be used for strings where they’re not combos so a follow up move will track you. I know you say you can just stand and block, and you can, but doing this will cover blocking a string and put you in a better position if they do something with more recovery. This is a super advanced technique though.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Goemon said:


 

The scenarios for the side step, guard cancel are for things like failed side step as doing this will get you back into guard faster. Also it can be used for strings where they’re not combos so a follow up move will track you. I know you say you can just stand and block, and you can, but doing this will cover blocking a string and put you in a better position if they do something with more recovery. This is a super advanced technique though.

 


Thanks very much for all of this! What purpose does the dash between the sidestep and the G button serve? The G button cancels animation frames so shouldn’t that be enough?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Darwock said:


Thanks very much for all of this! What purpose does the dash between the sidestep and the G button serve? The G button cancels animation frames so shouldn’t that be enough?


As I remember it...
 

If you side step, you can’t guard again until the animation of the side step is finished, however you can crouch dash out of it. I believe side step, crouch dash then guard is 5f faster than waiting for your side step animation to finish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah it’s a technique for recovering from a failed evade.

 

regarding the lag, I am also finding it very difficult to fit moves in between blocked 2p span that I would not struggle with offline. If I know they’re just gonna keep spamming I’ll block then 2p>buffered launcher. The 2p is fast enough that you’ll fit it in even with the lag and then with the advantage from that any 17 or less launcher will usually hit. 
 

you’re not really playing vf at this point though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.