IGNORED

Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown - PS4 Exclusive, Out Now as Part of PS+ June/July 2021.

Kayin Amoh

1 hour ago, Goemon said:

Question for @Faded

With Goh, if you get counter hit on his 6,K and they go in a low crumpled state. At this point I thought low throw was guaranteed, but I was just playing someone and I got the crumple like 6 times yet they always kicked me before the grab connected. Was this a latency issue or has that changed?

Not sure if you mean ground throw since you mention being kicked. Ground throw attempt should be guaranteed I believe. 

Low throws used to be guaranteed attempt on stomach crumple in previous games. I do not know if that’s changed because I noticed they changed Jeff 6p+k and you can’t attempt a throw anymore. Might be system change could be character specific. I never learned FS to the truly depressingly sad level I did previous games. 
However!

6K, 3KP, P, 46P+K P 6P works on everyone except Taka and is MAD damage yo. 

4 hours ago, Faded said:

had a pretty nice burst of form when it was just me and jonster last night. Mostly cause the booze kicked in and I stopped over thinking everything. He dominated the goh mirror match though. 270s all day with that boy. 😭

GGs again. Was a helpful set, paying for it today though as I just fell asleep at work 😂

What do you mean by 270s?

I'm sure I am missing something really simple here, however my VF5 US is not displaying full screen. It has black borders all around. How can I change this? I have had a look in the settings of the game but nothing stands out as being a solution. 

1 hour ago, chipsgravy said:

I'm sure I am missing something really simple here, however my VF5 US is not displaying full screen. It has black borders all around. How can I change this? I have had a look in the settings of the game but nothing stands out as being a solution. 

Seems to have been quite a common thing with this game for some reason but you need to have a look in the PS4's settings. 'Display area' under 'sound and screen' I believe.

4 hours ago, Jonster said:

GGs again. Was a helpful set, paying for it today though as I just fell asleep at work 😂

What do you mean by 270s?

Quarter circle throw. That is what I was getting hit by wasn’t I. I don’t know his animations anymore. 

6 hours ago, Faded said:

Not sure if you mean ground throw since you mention being kicked. Ground throw attempt should be guaranteed I believe. 

Low throws used to be guaranteed attempt on stomach crumple in previous games. I do not know if that’s changed because I noticed they changed Jeff 6p+k and you can’t attempt a throw anymore. Might be system change could be character specific. I never learned FS to the truly depressingly sad level I did previous games. 
However!

6K, 3KP, P, 46P+K P 6P works on everyone except Taka and is MAD damage yo. 

Yea, I tried it in training. It’s guaranteed...by an absolute mile. You’re +19 when you land that knee as a counter hit and throw is 10 frames.

I tried at least 6 times in that match and got kicked in the face every. single. time.

I think I may be remembering why I stopped playing this first time around. It’s tough, I don’t begrudge people who don’t know what they’re doing but when they run a train over you because you can’t guarantee anything, it gets tough to swallow.

Yup. I have a bunch of online only combos I use, my offline stuff is way fancier I promise. 

I’ll be around very late this evening if anyone fancies matches. 

There’s seemingly hundreds of people playing this at any given time, but everyone is locked away in private rooms meaning it’s actually really hard to get a game. Whenever I do find a room or open my own one, it’s always one-and-done. In a 4 man league nobody even bothers sticking around for the other players to play their rounds. It’s frustrating.

Yeah, it's weird to think that this almost feels like a 'Discord game' already when it's on Plus. I thought there'd be at least a couple of weeks where you could hop on and find matches quickly but I've just sat waiting in ranked for twenty minutes with nothing. About 40 people in rooms at the moment but as you say, almost all private.

I've only managed about five matches total and I'm relatively sure that one or two of them were bots farming trophies.

28 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

I've just sat waiting in ranked for twenty minutes with nothing.

Pretty sure that's a bug. I'd quit out to menu and retry after 5 mins.

Yeah, I started queuing again a few minutes later and I'm getting a few now, ta!

Casually playing VF4 and earlier I used to just enjoy playing Shun and 'doing stuff'. I'll probably go back to him later but trying to pick up Taka for now just to get the basics down somewhat with a straightforward gameplan. Trying to be a bit more sound without the experience to do so against people pressing buttons as Lion etc. feels like a very rough road at the moment :lol:. And incorporating throws is tricky since there's not much successful blocking going on (from myself either if I'm honest).

That said, I've landed the combo I'd practised a couple of times and that was my goal for the day. Baby steps.

Fucking hell this game is good. Got a few matches to upload shortly - one win and one loss (2/2 each way), because I think posting only wins'd make me look like a real dickhead. I get crushed in the loss, but feel I could've pulled a closer match if something didn't get in the way of the very final round...! (The ring edge)

Glad to hear the search and invites are coming soon, it's been weirdly difficult to hunt Ryan's rooms down!

EDIT: Also, if anyone wants to be added to the Virtua Fighter Gang party, let me know. It's turned out to be super convenient for someone saying 'Hey assholes, anyone want to play Virtua Fighter?', then you reply with 'Hell yeah, get me some of that right the hell now.' and everyone teams up and has a great time.

Pros: Super easy VF matches with chums you know. See if anyone's online, then invite or accept them.

Cons: Probably gets annoying if you're trying to play some story heavy game and we start chatting about how fun VF is.

I'm really getting into this now. I think the main reasons why I like this so much compared to other fighting games is that I find it quite straightforward for understanding when I can (or should) be attacking and defending - and secondly, I don't feel there are many times during a match when I feel utterly powerless and a bystander while a combo plays out.

I'm after a bit advice for against Wolf though, who I've struggled against to regain control of the match. I find that he has a move which grabs me off the ground by the head and then throws me, but I feel powerless to stop it. Any tips?

Secondly I'm trying to understand the detailed box on the moves in training and I can figure out some but not all:

Hits: Number of hits in the current combo

Damage: Higher is higher damage

Execution: Higher the number the slower the move?

Advantage: I really don't understand this but it's either a positive or negative number

Note: I am not familiar with fighting game vanacular at all!

For the Wolf ground throw, it may be guaranteed in certain setups, otherwise you'll want to get up as quickly as possible to avoid it. I think down throws are also breakable with down/down-forward/down-back + P+G. The direction would depend on what throw Wolf was doing (I'd need to look it up).

You're right with execution - the higher the number the slower it is. To be specific it's the number of frames (1 frame is 1/60th of a second) it takes until the move is active, ie hits/throws.

If advantage is positive it means you currently have the advantage, and if it's negative the opponent has the advantage. The number is the number of frames the person who has advantage can act before the person who is disadvantaged.

To tie these together, say you do a move which is blocked and advantage shows you as -8. The opponent could use a move that has an execution of 19 and you'd be unable to interrupt it with an attack (generally speaking the fastest attacks are P and 2P at 12 frames, some characters have a P that's 11 frames). The general rules still apply though so say the opponent chose a high attack you could still hit them with 2P as you'd duck their attack, or you could try to evade.

The advantage number, when negative, also shows different colours to indicate how unsafe it is. Green is -10 and -11 meaning the opponent has a guaranteed throw attempt (throws, for the most part take 10 frames to become active, however it's only an attempt as you can still break them in this situation). Amber is from -12 to -14 (I may be wrong on that 14, would need to get on and check) meaning you'll eat a minor punish, eg a jab string is guaranteed. -15 and higher is red meaning a bigger punish would be guaranteed, that is you'll get launched and take a combo.

I'm rubbish at fighting games but have had a great weekend on this so far. Some very fair and close matches with fellow n00bs. 

Been maining Jeffry and currently on 7th kyu - add me to the VF gang please! PSN - Olliday

2 hours ago, Jonster said:

For the Wolf ground throw, it may be guaranteed in certain setups, otherwise you'll want to get up as quickly as possible to avoid it.

That's what I thought. I'm still very bad at getting up quickly. Its up or down plus G+P+K right?

Your description of the advantage values makes very logical sense, and something that I think I instinctively realise - if they block a move then naturally its their turn - but that explains to how much of a degree that is true/window of opportunity.

To do a quick recover it's G+P+K as you touch the ground. The direction is optional to move in that way, if you don't put a direction in you recover in place. If you're already on the floor (or miss the window for the quick recovery) it's G and a direction to roll in that direction, and I read somewhere repeatedly pressing P makes you get up faster but I don't know how true that is.

I got notified I had done 100 room matches by a trophy, so decided that was enough practice to risk a ranked match or two. I set it to only allow best connection, with not much hope that it would work given my experience with the room lobbies.

I think I had something like 10 matches, all had rock solid connections as far as I could tell. I won my very first one, then rematched and got beaten by the same guy. I think I won most of the others except against this one Shun who was lower ranked but clearly more skilled - he sidestepped all of my hit chains, so I need to work out a combo with some sweeping kicks in there. I am a slightly button mashy Lei Fei who has different openers sorted out but things get pretty random when I am trying to capitalize on an advantage.

I never waited more than about 10-20 seconds for an opponent though, on a Sunday afternoon (Japan time).

Anyone played ranked this afternoon and being constantly disconnected?

I’ve been disconnected 3 times with a ‘network error‘. 1 time it gave warning saying I would be penalised for disconnecting.

27 minutes ago, Goemon said:

Anyone played ranked this afternoon and being constantly disconnected?

I’ve been disconnected 3 times with a ‘network error‘. 1 time it gave warning saying I would be penalised for disconnecting.

I hadn't until I read this and as then disconnected from matchmaking twice in a row.

RGG did such a great job with the new OST, I love Jacky's new theme, it goes proper hard.

For anyone interested / want to throw some more money the series way you can buy the soundtrack from Amazon Japan here

71-trr8F7RS._AC_SL1000_.jpg

My experience of the net code has been nothing like his - I’ve had bad room connections, but so far never had a bad ranked one. Then again, I don’t (can’t) play for hours at a time.

Yeah, the amount of variability in people's experiences seems to be the one thing that's truly consistent with this. I think he said he's on the west coast of Japan, are you closer to Tokyo?

On 05/06/2021 at 15:24, Rsdio said:

Casually playing VF4 and earlier I used to just enjoy playing Shun and 'doing stuff'. I'll probably go back to him later but trying to pick up Taka for now just to get the basics down somewhat with a straightforward gameplan.

As much as this might seem a sensible approach on the surface I'm starting to wonder if trying to learn to do the basics well is really just a recipe for frustration in the circumstances, turning the game into work that's not even really worth doing without rock-solid online. When so much is unreliable and inconsistent a lot of matches are going to end up being a battle of who has the trickiest strings and mix-ups. Taka's true lows seem more stuffable/unsafe than most and his strings are all easily blocked standing, getting sumo slapped repeatedly might feel oppressive I'm not sure he's all that threatening until you can get his big throws and follow-up combos going.

I feel bit dirty for thinking about it this way but I'm starting to wonder if I should just go back to Shun since with his mind games and nonsense he feels like a better choice to have actual, y'know, fun within a variable online environment. Shun and fun even rhymes! It's a sign.

The netcode has gone from ok to pure shit over the last few days. Full 2-3 seconds of frozen screens in pretty much every match, and I'm only accepting 'green' connections. The game will die on it's arse at this rate 

I haven't had time to play the past few days due to various obligations, but that's massively concerning.

I'd be up for some private rooms to see how that shakes out usually, but man. Overwhelmed with everything right now.

Why has every game I'm interested in dropped at once? VF actually take precedence, but I have to get through the rest in a timely manner too.