Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown - PS4 Exclusive, Out Now as Part of PS+ June/July 2021.

Kayin Amoh

Played a few matches in Arcade and its great to see VF back, but I have to admit being pretty disappointed by how barebones this port is. It was my biggest problem with the PS3/360 port and it still hasn’t been addressed. Whats more frustrating is that VF4’s Kumite mode was so great and is probably my favorite single player mode in any beat em up, I was hoping Sega would have added something similar for this.

3 hours ago, Goemon said:

Max talking about the net code. Pretty interesting the way they’ve handled it which he’s been investigating.

Yeah, I saw something on Twitter pre-release saying that it seemed to be server-based but that obviously didn't stop people going on about how they were 'cheaping out' on the netcode. Cheaping out would be just releasing it with the old netcode.

I'm as disappointed as anyone that something promoted as 'eSports' in 2021 didn't go the whole mile after 2020 demonstrated how crucial good online is, but they clearly didn't have their fingers totally in their ears and were aware that things needed to be improved. AFAIK though, no 3D game has rollback as of yet so it does feel like the 'No rollback - DEAD ON ARRIVAL' types are judging it against a non-existant standard while many of them continue to happily play Soul Calibur/Tekken/DOA. I know 'Tekken is 3' and all that but I'm not sure anyone other than Harada believes it has properly functioning rollback.

What concerns me a bit is what happens to the game when they don't think it's worthwhile to rent those servers anymore? With this being playable on the current generation too it seemed as though at least there'd be somewhere to play the game for a good few years even once the player base dwindles down without having to resort to Parsec or whatever. That seems like it might be in doubt now?

Just had my first Ranked game and went two for two with a really weird ending to the last round of the replay match. 

Trying Goh and finding him really hard although i only ever played with him before on the XBLA version of the game before. 

The game after it paired me with a 5th Kyu on his rank up match, and it all went to shit I was inputting  my B&B combo, and it wasn't even coming out, and the kick reach on Brad is fucking ridiculous. 

Had some super fun games with @Faded just now! The connections weren't flawless, but they were pretty playable. I saw a few instances where either him or myself would sort of lock up because a lag spike scuppered a combo, but far from the worst I've seen.

Lots of learning to do. Earlier I spent about half an hour doing a combo off one move in training. It's a good combo! Only problem is, I couldn't land the starter even once on Ryan! :lol:

Edit: Oh yeah! That confusing moment was because there's two Ryan's in the group. I thought your message was from him for a start, which is why I spent a moment inviting him in.

10 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Might be of interest to any potential Kage players and @Faded : 

Live stream with what seems to be a very competent Kage.

I should learn how to play kage at some point. I get by on dumb mix ups and 9k+g abuse. 

Ha, they work fine on me! Most of my Vanessa stuff is canned combos and people not knowing how to deal with the interception stance. I think that's what it's called, anyway.

A Vanessa came on that stream just now and showed me a bunch of stuff I've never seen before. She lost, but just barely.

I fought a Vanessa just before that did nothing but spam the same double kick over and over, was 3rd Dan too.

It’s the kick where she does a straight kick and then a sweeping kick that turns the opponent. It’s nasty because if the first sweep catches you, attacking gets you counter hit on the straight and then the sweep turns you backwards.

The guy relied on it too much though and literally had no other game. So when I started dealing with it he didn’t know what to do and was eating everything I threw at him. Didn’t block, didn’t quick rise etc. I could see it was only only thing he could do, so to get to 3rd dan only using one move was pretty crazy.

You don't really need to win your matches to rank up at first, just qualifiers. I think.

Had an Akira try doing double punches over and over, I don't think he was even at the controller and just had it on auto fire. Perfected him five out of six rounds once I figured he was literally just doing punches.

Fought a Sarah in Ranked who just did a high then mid kick over and over. I assume they just have it on autofire to accept matches and the same button just happens to be those kicks. Probably just farming matches for the trophies.

Anyway it went down to the final round. 😳

After a great first day, I lost a few because of lousy connections yesterday. After the worst one where it paused during all of my inputs and I couldn’t get anything I wanted to happen, I set up my own room and put the restriction to connection 3 or more.

Everyone that came in had a red 1 bar connection. The filters don’t work?

My PSN is Darwock but you’d have to play in the UK afternoon to find me online.

About half my losses are due to bad connections. I just ring myself out if it’s laggy now. Life is too short. 

Netcode genuinely seems worse than previous games to me. Dissapointing, but the rllmuk lobby last night was very playable despite the odd spike here and there. 

1 hour ago, Faded said:

About half my losses are due to bad connections. I just ring myself out if it’s laggy now. Life is too short. 

Netcode genuinely seems worse than previous games to me. Dissapointing, but the rllmuk lobby last night was very playable despite the odd spike here and there. 

Yea, one thing I was thinking about was where your damage comes from as a character.

TBH I don’t know enough about each character but from an Akira stand point a lot of my damage comes from timed moves over punch/kick combos and when latency is a factor it makes it hard to get damage. Like times I will go for the 9,9,P launcher but once they’re in the air I press P and it completely misses because of the delay.

Yeah that’s essentially the same for me. If I land a ten foot toss that should be 80 damage in my pocket. Last night we didn’t have the best connection in the world but I think people I probably landed the combo after the throw about 90% of the time and the failures were user error. Loads of ranked matches the knee hits way too late and they can actually tech roll and Im at disadvantage. 😑

Id rather just concede then get pissed off trying to win under those circumstances. 

1 hour ago, Goemon said:

Yea, one thing I was thinking about was where your damage comes from as a character.

TBH I don’t know enough about each character but from an Akira stand point a lot of my damage comes from timed moves over punch/kick combos and when latency is a factor it makes it hard to get damage. Like times I will go for the 9,9,P launcher but once they’re in the air I press P and it completely misses because of the delay.

I played about 20 games last night and only landed spod once. I find moves that require p k and g tough with lag, I couldn't do fall recovery or defensive step half the time either.

Still bloody great fun mind. First time playing VF online with seasoned players and enjoyed watching just as much as playing. I hope RGG continue to add new modes and improvements as time goes by. Playerbase seems quite healthy. 

Yeah, while we were playing I noticed you attempting moves or combos that just didn't go anywhere. Had a few problems with Vanessa myself, but that's mainly because she's fairly complex in which combo goes where and I kept getting the follow ups wrong.

I do need to put some time into the intercept stance, I didn't even know there was a hit grab or you could roll out of it. I've tried to do so in the past and ended up winning by scrubby kicks that I never meant to use.

Also, I didn't mean to do Akira's QCB+P three times in a row. 😛 (It's a great move by the way, can stuff attacks and sets up nice damage combos - though I think it's slower than in VF5 where I'd crush wakeup kicks with it)

Sometimes just scrubbing it up is the way to go. It’s real easy to give your opponent too much respect, especially in ranked. SURELY they’ll start blocking now, I think as I dash in to throw... no. 

I had a pretty nice burst of form when it was just me and jonster last night. Mostly cause the booze kicked in and I stopped over thinking everything. He dominated the goh mirror match though. 270s all day with that boy. 😭

Question for @Faded

With Goh, if you get counter hit on his 6,K and they go in a low crumpled state. At this point I thought low throw was guaranteed, but I was just playing someone and I got the crumple like 6 times yet they always kicked me before the grab connected. Was this a latency issue or has that changed?