Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown - PS4 Exclusive, Out Now as Part of PS+ June/July 2021.

Kayin Amoh

Thanks, all! The advice to just get it via PS+ is probably very sensible - my interactions with the VF games (and most FGs) generally involve coming back to them intermittently to look at and listen to them, and very casually practice the odd moveset or string. I probably don't need to own it...

4 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

Thanks, all! The advice to just get it via PS+ is probably very sensible - my interactions with the VF games (and most FGs) generally involve coming back to them intermittently to look at and listen to them, and very casually practice the odd moveset or string. I probably don't need to own it...

Of course you do!

Ha, probably not honestly. But it's really quite rad.

Oh dear lord, I'm terrible now. I never really spent much time with any VF5, VF4 was my baby. So picked Lion up, and while I remember a lot of the core basics, man I suck so much now. I think it's time to pick a new main, to give myself an excuse for all my early losses.

Got a room going (user name Mummdad) if anyone wants to check my jank know-nothing Jeffrey played over someone else's wi-fi. Enticing offer, I know.

Had a couple of one-and-dones drop in so far but not sure if that's just the day 1 way of things or because this connection is shit and I can't feel it on this side.

Edit: Scratch that, I'm gonna see what ranked is like - been sat here nearly an hour and only had two games so maybe a change of approach is needed..

I saw you playing earlier, wasn’t sure how to invite/join a specific person though. If those are your typical hours to play then we’ll probably meet again.

When I was on, the room matches list was very full but they were all private rooms - only one or two for randoms. Granted that was late evening for Japan and I expect most players will be over here.

Downloaded this and put it on for a quick go with my son. I’d recently shown him Tekken 2 and he’d been playing that a fair bit recently (it’s still flipping brilliant btw).

Looking at VF4’s dazzling sprites and fluid animation, he went “yeah this is a bit better than Tekken 2”, so I showed him a YouTube video of Way of the Exploding Fist on the Spectrum, to show him what I was playing when I was his age. 

He couldn’t stop laughing. 

Gave this a good go this evening.

Played against a mate and the connection whilst playing was fine, may have been the odd dip here and there but nothing that made it felt unplayable.

Only thing that soured the experience was the game crashing out back into the lobby if both players are too quick off the draw to hit rematch.  Also, it was quite difficult to find rooms, even if you had a passcode.  It lists every room going and even when you filter it took me an age to find my mate's room which was passcode locked.  It was cool to see so many rooms of people playing VF though, probably the most people playing VF at the same time ever. lol

I also couldn't find any option to invite people from my friends list.  I'm hoping it's in a sub menu that I've failed to find.  Anyone here have any luck?  TA!

This is every bit as good as I remember. Seriously, no other fighting games come anywhere near this for sheer depth, and the characters are all so unique and awesome. I'd say it's a crying shame that they haven't produce VF6 after all these years, but they still don't need to (although I wouldn't say no) - this is still the king for me.

Note that I am totally hopeless at it. But it's no fault of the game that I suck.   :)

50 minutes ago, CheekyMonkey said:

I'd say it's a crying shame that they haven't produce VF6 after all these years

My hope is that this PS4 release is a test and exercise in rebuilding equity, to use in a business case for a big budget VF6

I got my Brooks USB converter today to try and get the VSHG working. Seems to be perfect as far as I can tell, if there's any latency introduced it’s beyond my skill bracket so wouldn’t be noticeable to me anyway. Only problem would appear to be the lack of a corresponding ‘option’ button.

It must be over 10 years since I last messed around with Lei Fei, but most of the key moves came back to me. I embarrassingly got beaten by one dude who just spammed crouching punch over and over once he realized I didn’t have a quick answer to it - could only find a low kick that didn’t give me any follow-up options, so he just out-chipped me that way. I suppose I should have side dodged it but that didn’t occur to me at the time lol

26 minutes ago, Darwock said:

I got my Brooks USB converter today to try and get the VSHG working. Seems to be perfect as far as I can tell, if there's any latency introduced it’s beyond my skill bracket so wouldn’t be noticeable to me anyway. Only problem would appear to be the lack of a corresponding ‘option’ button.

It must be over 10 years since I last messed around with Lei Fei, but most of the key moves came back to me. I embarrassingly got beaten by one dude who just spammed crouching punch over and over once he realized I didn’t have a quick answer to it - could only find a low kick that didn’t give me any follow-up options, so he just out-chipped me that way. I suppose I should have side dodged it but that didn’t occur to me at the time lol

Everyone gets got by this at first. Block then 6p, and if that hits, do whatever the hell you want as it's +7 on counterhit

20 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

Thinking of buying this just for some offline messing around. Am I right in thinking I'm better off buying it rather than subscribing to PS+ for a month? (The game would be unavailable to me at the end of that period, right?)

Buy the PS4 version of Judgment for cheap in the current Days of Play sale. VF5 is in the arcade there, albeit without the ‘Ultimate Showdown’ lick of paint :hat: 

Just now, Bobbi Champagne Jr said:

There's still loads of DLC that's missing from VF5:FS, so they're going to do another pack, right? RIGHT? I NEED MORE OPTIONS

Yeah they've said it's being worked on, the game was only a year in dev due to the 60th anniversary thing.

13 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Buy the PS4 version of Judgment for cheap in the current Days of Play sale. VF5 is in the arcade there, albeit without the ‘Ultimate Showdown’ lick of paint :hat: 

Yeah, this is another reason my itching to buy it is stupid - I have Final Showdown on PS3, 360 and in Yakuza 6 already!

23 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

VF5 is quite a different game from FS/US though, quite a lot of balance changes in there.

Loving the fact that it pulls match data from high level players and streams it through the main menu. It's not even movie footage, it's collecting the inputs and replaying them in the in-game engine so they look phenomenal - like you're watching them locally.

First game I ever had was a horrendous lagfest that I lost to a spamming Jacky so I was concerned for the netcode. Had some bad matches, but most have been at least acceptable and my win rate's jumped up to 92%. It's not that I'm good, I just don't think people really know how to deal with Vanessa at these lower levels.

It really isn't. I'm okay at best and prone to doing stupid stuff or freezing under pressure, but everyone else is currently getting to grips with the systems. You'd be surprised how much damage you can do just from Vanessa's prone stance when people don't know how to deal with it. I've fought a few decent players, and a lot of ones just slamming buttons or trying to abuse one string or throw.

Conclusion - play as much as possible right now to artificially inflate my win rate before these dabblers disappear!

6 hours ago, sir stiff_one said:

“It’s not that I’m good”

In fairness it’s free on ps+ and there’s lots of free wins to be had, especially before first Dan. 

I had an 18 win streak at one point Tuesday morning and it was not a reflection of my ability, trust me. 

Not to dismiss Kayin who I recall being a fierce competitor! 

I hope to be around playing this Thursday evening. Anyone who fancies beating me up now that I’m all washed up feel free to add me - RyanlovesVF