Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown - PS4 Exclusive, Out Now as Part of PS+ June/July 2021.

Kayin Amoh

4 hours ago, robdood said:

Jeffrey McWild is legit the best fighting game character name of all time. 

Best name. All the best items. All the best lines as well. 

Fighting is what he does on his days off from fighting sharks. 

1 hour ago, ThePixelbarks said:

Fine fine fine, given there's enough interest on here, I'll dust off my old main and the PS4, and get PS+ for a month. But I'll warn you all now...

Hide contents

I DON'T MAKE ALLOWENCES FOR OOOOOLD MEN.

I’d engage in some shit talking here, but it’s just not the same without the old ninja smiley. 

On 26/05/2021 at 18:48, joffocakes said:

The Virtua Fighter wiki is a great resource for the mechanics and terminology of the game and includes combo examples for each character:

https://virtuafighter.com/wiki/index/

I've been watching this (3 hour long!) overview of VF5: FS to get an idea of how it's meant to be played. Forewarning: it does open with the phrase "what's up, bitches?".

This is a great, informative video! Definitely worth watching (multiple times) for understanding.

One this I will say is that this video is NOT essential understanding to play this game. A lot of people fear VF for its high level entry point and watching this video as a beginner kinda supports this. But a lot of this video is advanced understanding and not required to just play the game and have fun.

You can pick a character, practice a few combos and go and have a load of fun online. 90% of the people playing this game will not be playing with this level of understanding and only as you progress and learn more should you return to videos like this to understand why you’re getting caught with stuff and how to deal with it.

At a most basic level

Block beats attack

Throw beats block

Attack beats throw

Obviously there’s a tonne of nuances, but that all comes with practice. The game is very black and white with its rules so if something is catching you and it’s pissing you off, there will be a way around it.

I will maintain to my dying breath that vf is the easiest fighting game to learn. There’s an initial curve (that’s way exaggerated IMO) and then you grasp the system you know pretty much all you need to know. I think it has way less weird minutiae at the intermediate and above levels than other games. The much vaunted depth comes from the fact that you have real and meaningful choices to make at every interaction. 

I am a fanboy though. 

4 hours ago, ThePixelbarks said:

Inevitable wasn't it, but fucking hell Sega. Even SNbloodyK have got the memo now.

On 26/05/2021 at 18:48, joffocakes said:

I've been watching this (3 hour long!) overview of VF5: FS to get an idea of how it's meant to be played. Forewarning: it does open with the phrase "what's up, bitches?".

Haha, yeah I came across that when I set up VF5 in RPCS3 a few months back. I was like 'This is going to be a long three hours'.

This playlist of videos by SoA is also really well done and covers an awful lot.

18 minutes ago, Faded said:

I will maintain to my dying breath that vf is the easiest fighting game to learn. There’s an initial curve (that’s way exaggerated IMO) and then you grasp the system you know pretty much all you need to know. I think it has way less weird minutiae at the intermediate and above levels than other games. The much vaunted depth comes from the fact that you have real and meaningful choices to make at every interaction. 

I am a fanboy though. 

I love the black and white-ness of VF. There’s no grey, I attacked but he grabbed my hit box first kinda nonsense. It’s; you attacked, they grabbed so they lost.

watching the video and the guy is talking about fuzzy guard, and the fact that it’s 2f fast via crouch dashing etc. and I don’t want people watching it and thinking they need to know and do this kinda thing in order to play the game. That’s real advanced stuff that isn’t required when you’re starting out playing the game.

Just learn a few moves and jump online and have a laugh, you can still do fine.

52 minutes ago, Faded said:

I am a fanboy though. 

Its definitely my favourite, and feels a lot less reliant on ninja skills on a controller than other fighting games. 

Its way quicker to get to the point where you are making those satisfying rock-paper-scissors guessing games. 

I'm only half way through that guide, it's definitely a bit intense for a starting point, but I already learned lots. 

If only I had a PlayStation of some description.. 😭

40 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Just go Sarah and spam her up-diagonal / back somersault kick.

“Good old rock, nothing beats that”

22 minutes ago, robdood said:

@Goemondid we play back in the day? Was it your Akira that used to flatten me? 😁

Quite possibly, Akira was my guy.

They changed Akira so dramatically from 4 Evo to 5 and from 5 to FS I’m not even sure I could play him any more! ><

Akira is really good in FS. His guard break is amazing in FS’ simplified defence world. I haven’t stayed up to date but in the early years of FS Akira, Taka and Jacky were considered the top. 

He’s way less cool that 4 evo akira though. Facts. 

Wait, the finals are in Glasgow? That's an interesting choice of final venue.

'Top 8 players with highest points qualify for the international
Will be run on xbox'

That's also a bit strange. I mean, I guess that Ultimate Showdown's the same underlying game as Final Showdown, but that's odd.

Edit: Ah, just noticed the date it was posted.

1 minute ago, Goemon said:

Got to say, it’s looks gorgeous!

Yeah. The odd dodgy face here and there but it looks amazing. Shun’s (fuck shun, seriously I hope he dies) stage especially compared to the most covered original.