Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin - It may look bad, but apparently it plays pretty well

Broker

Apparently being revealed at e3

50D34C86-D866-4665-AD72-157E30449C56.thumb.jpeg.55102135c3f322ee805aa3dc378c4255.jpeg

The rumor states that Square Enix is working with Team Ninja, Koei Tecmo’s in-house development team behind games like Ninja Gaiden, Nioh, and perhaps most relevantly the latest entry in the Final Fantasy fighting game series Dissidia NT. The posted rumors go on further by assigning the game a genre, something akin to Nioh or the Souls games, and suggesting it takes place somewhere in or adjacent to the world of the first Final Fantasy game on the NES.

https://www.fanbyte.com/news/rumor-square-enix-set-to-announce-a-new-action-rpg-final-fantasy-spinoff/

9 minutes ago, carlospie said:

That image certainly looked credible.

Ff15 versus 

:lol:

Apparently the image behind it is the leaked image, but I couldn’t find a version without all the shite on it.

Resetera has numerous verified industry insiders, who often have to share proof with moderators before being allowed to post about these kinds of rumours. It’s not at all uncommon for people to have solid proof that they’ve shown to mods but can’t share publicly because it could identify them and threaten their employment.

10 minutes ago, Harsin said:

How is its leak reveal not a surprise, you just got your surprise a bit earlier. 🤔

Awesome surprise with a proper reveal I mean, instead of a piece of shit jpeg with loads of wordart all over it.

I guess I just don't really get the mentality that the mere existence of a game is a spoiler. The movie business is better at this, nowadays Disney just say 'Hey, we've greenlit a movie about X and maybe show a logo on Powerpoint' instead of a ridiculous song and dance with an expensive CGI trailer that may or may not bear any relation to what eventually comes out two years later, while an audience of paid shills whoop hysterically.

Do people really still care about “Souls-like” pitches? The genre (the closest From came to defining it properly was “dark fantasy action RPG”) gets slapped onto some mediocre fluff, and it’s not like Final Fantasy is always a guarantee of quality. Although there’s absolutely no info about this new thing, so I’m happy to be proven wrong.

It's a genre now, and while all Souls likes are pretenders to the throne I like the mechanics and design ethos of them so I'll try almost all of them if I can. Not this one though because it's PS5 only (or so we know so far).

46 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Do people really still care about “Souls-like” pitches? The genre (the closest From came to defining it properly was “dark fantasy action RPG”) gets slapped onto some mediocre fluff, and it’s not like Final Fantasy is always a guarantee of quality. Although there’s absolutely no info about this new thing, so I’m happy to be proven wrong.

I generally either really enjoy or don’t click at all with FF games so they’re always worth keeping an eye on for me. I imagine the pedigree of the Nioh team is likely to attract people.

33 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

It's a genre now, and while all Souls likes are pretenders to the throne I like the mechanics and design ethos of them so I'll try almost all of them if I can. Not this one though because it's PS5 only (or so we know so far).

The rumours say one year on PS5 then a PC release. 

17 minutes ago, Broker said:

I generally either really enjoy or don’t click at all with FF games so they’re always worth keeping an eye on for me. I imagine the pedigree of the Nioh team is likely to attract people.

The rumours say one year on PS5 then a PC release. 

Still won't be able to run it. My PC is a potato at this point.

Huh, it's only now that this is a thing that I realize how well the general concepts and mythology of Final Fantasy fit a Souls like spinoff. From the big buster swords and general variation in weapons and classes, to the traditionally oversized bosses. Even summoning is a thing - you could totally see them having a summon materia in this game to enable you to summon other players. Or a NPC that helps out. This team has proven themselves with NioH to be the only other dev team able to do Souls as well as From, so this could be rather good. My piqued interest is at its peak and looking forward to getting a peek.

I hope this is true and that they stick with the ridiculous outfit the Warrior of Light wears in the original game rather than them going down the route of the Dark Knight.

Of course I'd also be very happy with a Dragoon build.

10 hours ago, Harsin said:

I guess I just don't really get the mentality that the mere existence of a game is a spoiler. The movie business is better at this, nowadays Disney just say 'Hey, we've greenlit a movie about X and maybe show a logo on Powerpoint' instead of a ridiculous song and dance with an expensive CGI trailer that may or may not bear any relation to what eventually comes out two years later, while an audience of paid shills whoop hysterically.

Oooh. You’re hard. 

• 3 weeks later...

Out for everything, it looks like. Looks like Sony took one look at the trailer and said "Lol, no thanks." when it comes to exclusivity.