The Netflix of video games

Oz

19 hours ago, Oz said:

I think this takes us back to the argument that Netflix ultimately devalued movies and cinema. It is all junk food now and there are no restaurant meals. I think this is inevitable and imminent for games but I do not want this though. If it were up to me I would still be going to the store and browsing game cartridges. To me that experience had an intangible value which current convenience has killed.

I popped in to game the other day for a browse, then went home and bought the game digitally, purely for ongoing convenience. I'm part of the problem i guess. And lazy.

24 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Eh? It’s games in a sub isn’t it? What’s the difference?

Ooh where to begin, yeah both subs, Game Pass gives you access to the entire first party Microsoft catalogue, many if not all of them enhanced in some way or other for Series X, and you get all first party releases day one as part of your sub, so there’s that, and you have literally hundreds of games to choose from, again often enhanced. You can also stream the entire Game Pass library, I often do that when I don’t want to hog the TV, try a game out, or for achievements/rewards. The streaming is still in BETA though so I don’t want to get your hopes up too much, for me it’s been excellent mostly but some have had issues, and I know you like your streaming. 

Seriously though if you like the idea of a sub which gives you loads of games to play straight away, it’s easily the best there is, especially with backwards compatibility, enhancements and the like. I haven’t looked back since getting one and I’ve been playing more games than ever. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

And ultimately I can’t ever see how designing custom hardware for a data centre is more cost effective than selling custom hardware i.e. consoles. 

Hardware designed for the data centre is totally different from consumer hardware. It's down to the thermal and power demands of data centres, but you basically want chips that are thermally optimum for stacking very close together and drawing minimal power. Think of multiple "consoles" on a single server, each sharing common components like buses, networking and disks etc.

This is just how the Cloud is built really. It's not just stacking the machines you've got running under your desk, it's got lots of layers of optimization.

Back on topic, I'm not personally sure what I want from a Netflix style game service. I've got game pass annual sub, but have used a tiny fraction of the available content on there. I think I've played two games on it. I've also got Stadia and use that more, but I play a mix of games I've bought there and games on the sub. I pretty much only play Pubg on Stadia Pro tbh. 

I guess because I'm quite time poor, a huge catalogue doesn't have much value to me. I have the same issue with Netflix, so maybe game pass already is the Netflix of games? Ultimately I value accessibility and immediacy plus an excellent gaming experience in the few hours I can play. Game pass and my Series X get fewer of my gaming hours simply because downloads require planning and the streaming solution there isn't intended as a replacement of the console experience. 

Yes, Game Pass is kind of like the Netflix for games, but crucially Netflix doesn’t need a box to give you films, it’s just an internet connection.

There’s three good reasons why my blu ray player hasn’t been switched on for around two years - MUBI, Netflix and Amazon Prime.

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Ooh where to begin, yeah both subs, Game Pass gives you access to the entire first party Microsoft catalogue, many if not all of them enhanced in some way or other for Series X, and you get all first party releases day one as part of your sub, so there’s that, and you have literally hundreds of games to choose from, again often enhanced. You can also stream the entire Game Pass library, I often do that when I don’t want to hog the TV, try a game out, or for achievements/rewards. The streaming is still in BETA though so I don’t want to get your hopes up too much, for me it’s been excellent mostly but some have had issues, and I know you like your streaming. 

Seriously though if you like the idea of a sub which gives you loads of games to play straight away, it’s easily the best there is, especially with backwards compatibility, enhancements and the like. I haven’t looked back since getting one and I’ve been playing more games than ever. 

Yes, these are really more like enhancements for me - none are compelling enough for me not to want to use Stadia. As I said, if they switched that off it would become a lot more appealing!

6 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Yes, these are really more like enhancements for me - none are compelling enough for me not to want to use Stadia. As I said, if they switched that off it would become a lot more appealing!

I was really comparing the subscriptions - as far as I know you get one or two ‘free’ games a months with Stadia, is that right? 

1 hour ago, Hass said:

Hardware designed for the data centre is totally different from consumer hardware. It's down to the thermal and power demands of data centres, but you basically want chips that are thermally optimum for stacking very close together and drawing minimal power. Think of multiple "consoles" on a single server, each sharing common components like buses, networking and disks etc.

This is just how the Cloud is built really. It's not just stacking the machines you've got running under your desk, it's got lots of layers of optimization.

Yes my point really was that going down the traditional route you pass on the costs to the consumer and have greater control over resources and demand at any time. 

13 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I was really comparing the subscriptions - as far as I know you get one or two ‘free’ games a months with Stadia, is that right? 

I think it’s usually 4, but obviously Game Pass is on another scale!

22 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Yes, Game Pass is kind of like the Netflix for games, but crucially Netflix doesn’t need a box to give you films, it’s just an internet connection.

There’s three good reasons why my blu ray player hasn’t been switched on for around two years - MUBI, Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Technically you don't need a box to play Xbox GamePass games either with xCloud. You can stream most games to a phone or other supported device. Much like Stadia needs a device that can access the Web - phone, PC or whatever.

10 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Technically you don't need a box to play Xbox GamePass games either with xCloud. You can stream most games to a phone or other supported device. Much like Stadia needs a device that can access the Web - phone, PC or whatever.

Does that mean you can have it on the tv? That would be perfect for me.

Without the Xbox I mean!

2 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Without the Xbox I mean!

There’s not any official way to do it as far as I know, but I’m sure there are workarounds but they’d most likely require a box of some sort, like Stadia needs the Chromecast. 

36 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Without the Xbox I mean!

I have mirrored my phone to a TV* and played with an Xbox controller yes! :) Granted it was a little choppy but it worked.  (think the TV is on 2.4ghz WiFi which was the main issue).

I was contemplating going Xbox-less this gen myself as I have a PC anyway but sometimes its nice to sit on a couch when I get access to the big screen. Also not have a piece of console hardware cluttering up the room.

I also have a Steam link client that is downloaded on the PC which is quite cool. The TV has bluetooth on it too to which the Xbox One controller will connect to and work with the Steam link app. Works reasonably well - bit laggy at times but in principle the concept works.

* my TV has a built in chromecast

45 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Stadia Pro is pretty similar to game pass but with two differences. First, at any given time, it's got a smaller number of games available on the sub. You can look it up right now but I'm guessing it's 30-40? The reason I'm guessing is because of the second reason it's different which is that when games come off the sub, if you were a pro subscriber when they were on the sub you can still access them as long as your sub is active. The net effect here is that if you sub to Stadia Pro continuously you build up a collection. I guess it's a loyalty scheme of sorts? 

Sounds more like PS Plus or Games with Gold in that respect then, in that you claim games each month and build up your collection as opposed to Game Pass which offers an instant collection but it’s revolving, so games do leave. 

42 minutes ago, MattyP said:

I have mirrored my phone to a TV* and played with an Xbox controller yes! :) Granted it was a little choppy but it worked.  (think the TV is on 2.4ghz WiFi which was the main issue).

I was contemplating going Xbox-less this gen myself as I have a PC anyway but sometimes its nice to sit on a couch when I get access to the big screen. Also not have a piece of console hardware cluttering up the room.

I also have a Steam link client that is downloaded on the PC which is quite cool. The TV has bluetooth on it too to which the Xbox One controller will connect to and work with the Steam link app. Works reasonably well - bit laggy at times but in principle the concept works.

* my TV has a built in chromecast

31 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Now you can do it on iOS I’m wondering whether it will be possible to do the same thing on an Apple TV. 

That’s interesting - I regularly mirror the iPhone to the CX for Apple Arcade games and there’s no lag I can perceive.

On 26/05/2021 at 12:01, deerokus said:

I don't see much of a market for 'people who want to play all the big AAA games but don't want the hardware'. There are some like that but it's not going to be huge. The streaming services make more sense aimed at lapsed or new players which will require a different range of games. 

The thinking behind it isn't really aimed at the mature, console dominated countries. Most of the global gaming population live in countries where consoles are an expensive rounding error at present. I can see the thinking behind it, whether people agree with it is another matter.

Lowering the cost of entry should increase total customer numbers for the types of games made by the devs/publishers people here care about, it just depends on how willing these hypothetical customers are to putting up with a compromised experience, but if the alternative is native mobile phone versions of console games, maybe the market opportunity is indeed huge. They might need to put some hardware in data centres actually in these regions first though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

It's starting.

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/let-the-games-begin-a-new-way-to-experience-entertainment-on-mobile

On Android today. iOS soon. Unsure how it'll work on iOS, but on Android it's an extra bit in the Netflix app. Starting with 5 games. Stranger Things: 1984 (BonusXP), Stranger Things 3: The Game (BonusXP), Shooting Hoops (Frosty Pop), Card Blast (Amuzo & Rogue Games), and Teeter Up (Frosty Pop).

On 26/05/2021 at 17:01, Stanley said:

Sounds more like PS Plus or Games with Gold in that respect then, in that you claim games each month and build up your collection as opposed to Game Pass which offers an instant collection but it’s revolving, so games do leave. 

Yeah, more like ps+ but games hang around a bit longer, so if you signed up now you'd get 39 games.  I have 109 Pro games in my library now, which I think is a pretty decent selection.