Jump to content

The Friends Reunion special


Gabe
 Share

Recommended Posts

I did try search as I'm sure there was a thread on this when it was announced but, well, yeah.

 

Now that the reunion special has an air date (and Sky apparently are possibly going to screen it in the UK), is anybody planning on watching it? With various special guests appearing (including Beckham?) it sounds all a bit up itself but I am curious about it. LeBlanc has said it was "kind of melancholy" and I have a feeling that that'll be the experience for many watching it, too; I think it is very much a case of the series captured a moment in time and that nostalgia is going to kick-in and make us wistful for days gone.

 

They also all just look so old now (as you would expect). Gone are the fresh, young faces, replaced by what looks like some bad surgery in Schwimmer's and Cox's case. Perry looks odd, too. Part of that is that not all of them have gone on to have the wildly successful careers that would perhaps have been expected, so they've been out of the public eye for a while (or at least, had much less exposure), so this is the first time of seeing them in a while. I wonder if they themselves feel their careers have gone in the way they wanted when this finished? It's interesting as well I suppose in the status each now brings to the table; Anniston is the only Hollywood star (would she be considered A list? I don't know enough of her filmography to know how many of her films have centred around her as the lead?)

 

Sorry, I digress. Is anybody looking forward to this? Are you expecting it to give some interesting insight, or be a bit of a fluff piece? Or are you going to skip it on the basis that some things are best left as a happy memory and that seeing this will just somehow intangibly sour that (which is part of where I am with it)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it just one of those things where they all sit on a sofa and reminisce about the making of it like that Fresh Prince one, or is it a dramatic follow-on? Neither sound that much fun to be honest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll watch it as was  one of my favorite shows, but i could care less about these other celebs showing up.

 

Jennifer Anniston has appeared in loads of movies although Cox will be returning for Scream 5 and did have a long running tv show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Art Vandelay It's a sitting around the sets, a cast read-through and stars dropping by I believe. Like I say, it sounds a bit like a fluff piece and I don't expect any great surprises or reveals to come out of it.

 

I probably won't watch it and just read a summary (the BBC will often do a 'X things we learned' piece for stuff like this), but I suppose I'm curious about it still mainly because Friends was a bit of an anchor during a period of my life, so it holds some sentimental value (which is also why I don't think I'd enjoy seeing them now).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also thought it was a proper episode :( 

 

I think it will be unbearable backslapping, made even worse with Corden's smug face presenting it. I am curious to see what state Matthew Perry is in though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ll probably watch it - the show is still playing pretty often somewhere in the house. Although that clip @Isaacposted shows Matt Perry doesn’t look well, which is sad. Courtney Cox looks like she’s managed to reverse some of the terrible cosmetic work she had done 10-15 years ago and looks much better for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jesus, Matthew Perry doesn't look very well. The fixed, gurning expression on his face reminds me a bit of Tony Slattery. Poor guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did I tell you guys we went to Friends Fest in 2019? It’s probably the shittest thing ever, essentially recreations of all the sets so you can take photos in, and that’s basically it. It’s terrible.

 

Although I did see the videocassette of Bouffay the Vampire Layer in a display case, that was pretty exciting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's really weird seeing a group of Hollywood stars who are much older than you're 'used' to them, who have had loads of plastic surgery, as a direct contrast with their younger selves. We all age, but not like this, and not judged against the comparisons that are at everybody's fingertips. Jennifer Aniston is in loads of stuff still, so this applies less for her, but I haven't seen some of the others for a number of years and there's a definite shock at seeing how they look now. It seems that Matthew Perry might be going through a bad time again - I hope he can recover fully from his alcohol and drug problems, as he was such a talent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, K said:

Jesus, Matthew Perry doesn't look very well. The fixed, gurning expression on his face reminds me a bit of Tony Slattery. Poor guy.

It's not helped by the beard he's attempting, because it's quite light in colour and at first glance I thought he was sucking his cheeks in permanently. He doesn't look healthy and has a real dead-eye stare.

 

3 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

It's really weird seeing a group of Hollywood stars who are much older than you're 'used' to them, who have had loads of plastic surgery, as a direct contrast with their younger selves. We all age, but not like this, and not judged against the comparisons that are at everybody's fingertips. Jennifer Aniston is in loads of stuff still, so this applies less for her, but I haven't seen some of the others for a number of years and there's a definite shock at seeing how they look now. It seems that Matthew Perry might be going through a bad time again - I hope he can recover fully from his alcohol and drug problems, as he was such a talent.

Indeed, it's like I said in the OP, having not seen many of them for a long time, it's a bit of a shock. Kudrow and Aniston broadly look the same, Le Blanc is just Joey but carrying some extra sandwiches, Cox and Schwimmer look a bit plasticy and Perry looks ill - though according to Wikipedia he got engaged late last year, so he's perhaps just suffering from years of addiction.

.

.

.

Just looking at the special guest drop-ins and, yeah, it's going to have plenty of cringe in it, I'm sure - but there might be some more human and touching stuff too (like that People clip which has them talking about how often they see each other.)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That trailer has brought me face to face with my own mortality, I dont think I can watch this.

 

Seems pretty obvious why Paul Rudd wasnt invited!

 

The most successful cast member and has aged like a fine wine, imagine having to sit next to that. :ph34r:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No way, Kudrow and LeBlanc have definitely aged the best, in that they appear to have done so relatively naturally compared to the others.

 

I imagine they have still had a bit of Botox etc but nothing like the others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It almost always looks better when male celebrities let their hair go grey. In fact, this applies to men in general, I think. You get the occasional weird ageless outlier like Keanu Reeves or Tom Cruise, who have presumably have had untold amounts of very high quality work done, but it generally looks terrible when you get someone like David Schwimmer who isn't committed or rich enough to have his face completely rebuilt every few years, but who also doesn't want to go grey for some reason. So he ends up with a middle-aged man face, and incongruously black hair.

 

That said, I watched Collateral the other night and it was very odd seeing Tom Cruise from 20 years ago, except with grey hair. It was this weird combination of the face he had then with the hair he should have now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, K said:

It almost always looks better when male celebrities let their hair go grey. In fact, this applies to men in general, I think. You get the occasional weird ageless outlier like Keanu Reeves or Tom Cruise, who have presumably have had untold amounts of very high quality work done, but it generally looks terrible when you get someone like David Schwimmer who isn't committed or rich enough to have his face completely rebuilt every few years, but who also doesn't want to go grey for some reason. So he ends up with a middle-aged man face, and incongruously black hair.

 

That said, I watched Collateral the other night and it was very odd seeing Tom Cruise from 20 years ago, except with grey hair. It was this weird combination of the face he had then with the hair he should have now.

 

Keanu is clearly dyeing his hair tho.

 

Also, the Friends lads are super-rich, didn't they get 4mil an episode for the last 4 or 5 seasons?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess it's telling that Perry really only gets one line in the whole trailer. Rather sad.

 

I'm impressed they've managed to recreate the set so well, though. Do they keep all those props in storage, just in case, or is it all replicas?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Festoon said:

 

Keanu is clearly dyeing his hair tho.

 

Also, the Friends lads are super-rich, didn't they get 4mil an episode for the last 4 or 5 seasons?

 

Yeah, but my point was that Reeves is one of the rare outliers who look good with dark hair despite being in his mid-fifties, whereas Schwimmer just looks terrible. Most people in their fifties look weird if they dye their hair.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly thought it was a few new episodes, not a sort of documentary. Weird. 

 

Also I read that its going to be on HBO in the US on 27th May, and yet no UK distributor has been decided on yet. Are HBO completely ignorant of the internet? This is going to be all over torrent sites from midnight on the 28th May for fuck sakes!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.