Twelve Minutes

Gord

Road 96

The Drive Syndicate

Moonglow Boy

Harold Halibut

Toodee and Topdee

The Fermi Paradox

Roundup: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Turbo Overkill, Super Magbot, Samurai Gunn 2, Let's Build a Zoo

Play:

Resident Evil Village - 6

Returnal - 8

New Pokémon Snap - 8

Oddworld: Soulstorm - 5

Famicom Detective Club - 5

R-Type Final 2 - 7

Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion - 7

Tasomachi: Behind The Twilight - 6

Mask Maker - 7

World of Demons - 6

Ashwalker - 4

Features:

Solar Flair: Solar Ash

Playing Politics: politics in games

Collected Works: David Crane

The Making Of: Necrobarista

Studio Profile: The Game Kitchen

Time Extend: Celeste

The Long Game: Disco Elysium 

17 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Play:

Resident Evil Village - 6

Returnal - 8

New Pokémon Snap - 8

Oddworld: Soulstorm - 5

Famicom Detective Club - 5

R-Type Final 2 - 7

Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion - 7

Tasomachi: Behind The Twilight - 6

Mask Maker - 7

World of Demons - 6

Ashwalker - 4

giphy.gif

Gotta say, with all the hype, I was expecting Returnal to be a 10, maybe a 9.

The Village score is also shockingly low, can’t wait to read what they thought. 

31 minutes ago, Benny said:

Am I missing a joke somewhere?

I'm assuming it's that they think either the Resi or Returnal score is too low? 

FWIW I'd give Returnal a 9 and Resi Village a 7 so I can't say I'm mad, you could definitely reason a lower score for each I reckon.

Ooh, a lovely cover! A bit saddened by the Famicom Adventure Club score, if not wildly surprised that a couple of visual novels from the 80s might not have aged all that gracefully. Pleasantly surprised by R-Type Final 2, though! Looks like I may need to do a little more reading around those two games.

Really wanna read the stuff on 12 Minutes but I also don't want to know a single other thing before playing it so I'll try to wait. Samurai Gunn 2 is surely gonna be brilliant as well if maybe one day we can meet friends again.

im trundling through village, enjoying it, but cant help but feel as glorious as the environments look, it feels far more restrictive and funnels you far more than 4 if I remember right.

My go to game is PUBG but there's no denying the shooting is garbage and as for the treacle aiming you can stick it. 6 is harsh like but can see why if its based on my gripes.

Keen to read the Returnal review, and see what Edge thought of it. its a stunning, fabulous, brilliant game.

Bit disappointed about the Famicon Adventure Club score. I may probably still take a punt as I love those sorts of games. Its £50 on the eStore though, but it is part of the 2 for £85 offer (and so is Mario Golf! Which is not even out yet).

Just now, englishbob said:

My take, but the review surely must acknowledge this fact

I mean I agree, it is a baffling design decision. Even that doesnt take away from its brilliance for me (although just about).

49 minutes ago, Dave White said:

im trundling through village, enjoying it, but cant help but feel as glorious as the environments look, it feels far more restrictive and funnels you far more than 4 if I remember right.

Have to disagree with you there Dave. RE4 really is a series of corridors that you’re funnelled along. VIIIage has far more of that ol’ 3D Metroidvania-ish explorative element and route-planning in the more classic Resi style, comparatively, for sure. Especially if you get deeply involved in the treasure hunting, which leads you off the critical path (you totally should do this).

11 minutes ago, englishbob said:

My take, but the review surely must acknowledge this fact

It does not, but more broadly critiques the game as a strong shooter, but weak roguelike.

7 minutes ago, QuackQuack said:

Shame about the Famicom Detective scores. I wonder what’s wrong with them - other than the £50 price.

Per the review: that they are showing their age, predominantly. Dry translation, robotic approach to investigation, illogical/obscure logic to 'solving' interviews. Pricing isn't mentioned (though Returnal gets a whole extra page discussing £70 games, and how maybe that's the price we need to pay to avoid crunch! Presumably ignoring that the very publisher heralding this new price point is infamous for having crunchtastic developers).

I think Village is a strong 7, but I was thinking when I was playing it that it would be an Edge 6. A lot of it severely limits the player's agency, it doesn't really do anything to move the series on, and it's quite derivative, of other Resi games and of broader fiction in general, without doing much to build on those derivations - all stuff that Edge typically doesn't like. It looks amazing and sounds great, but it lacks substance. Spectacular but very on-rails at times.

It's notable that its best section (the castle) is when it adheres most closely to the classic Resi formula of retreading the same setting, slowly unlocking more and more of it while avoiding threats. Even this bit, however, is over too quickly and feels a bit like a Resi lite. As has been mentioned in the dedicated thread, the whole thing plays like it was initially designed as a VR game.

Still, I'll look forward to reading the review. The bigger disappointment for me is the Famicom Detective Club score. I was hoping that would tide me over until the next Phoenix Wright.

12 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Have to disagree with you there Dave. RE4 really is a series of corridors that you’re funnelled along. VIIIage has far more of that ol’ 3D Metroidvania-ish explorative element and route-planning in the more classic Resi style, comparatively, for sure. Especially if you get deeply involved in the treasure hunting, which leads you off the critical path (you totally should do this).

RE Village is a lot more restrictive than 4 in terms of combat. You get a bit of freedom to explore the village in, err, Village, and 4 was definitely just a series of corridors at heart but because of the way the combat arenas are designed you feel like you have a lot more player agency in 4 despite that. I think that's what people are getting at when they say Village is more restrictive. In terms of how environment and combat interact, Village is fairly limited.