IGNORED

Zombies Ate My Neighbours coming to consoles - Lucas Arts Classic

Captain Kelsten

One of my favourite games and source of many fond memories, Zombies Ate My Neighbours, is coming to consoles on 29th June. 

Its lesser-known sequel, Ghoul Patrol, is also coming. 

This re-release (the first since the games appeared on Wii Virtual Console in 2010) includes local co-op, quick-saves, achievements, a gallery of game art, developer interviews, and more. The digital version will cost £11/$14.99 USD on Switch's eShop, the PlayStation and Xbox Stores, Steam, and GOG, and Limited Run Games is handling a physical release later this year.

I absolutely adore the first game. One of the first things I did when I got my SNES Mini was put Zombies on it and I still have a cartridge of the original SNES game. I spent hours and hours on it as a kid and I can remember the levels and the music almost perfectly even today. It’s B movie horror style was right up my street. 

I didn’t play Ghoul Patrol at release, only trying it years later and it was nowhere near as good, having lost much of the charm and fun of the original. 

This’ll be a day one purchase for me, for sure. I may even get the physical version as a special treat!

The quick save option will be nice. The original was bastard hard and used a password system, giving you a new password every four levels. This was all well and good until you used one to get to a later level only to discover you had none of the weapons required to get through the level, either because you needed a bazooka to blow down walls or your default holy water pistol was too weak.

The last boss was an utter shit, too! 

Loved this on the SNES. Loved it. Played it for hours and hours, though it definitely reached a point where the difficulty outpaced my skill and I got stuck. Never played the sequel, weirdly.

I'll be interested to see if the additions make it worth a purchase, or if I'll just stick to emulating it...

11 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Could you buy some more physical SNES games that are crying out for modern day ports? :omg:

I’m currently tracking down Sparkster and Rocket Knight Adventures, so I’m sure they’ll be the next to be announced on the day I finally pick them up :D

Such a great game and I’m another that hasn’t played the sequel. In fact I didn’t even know there was one. Online co-op would be the icing on the cake if it’s included. It shouldn’t be difficult to implement, lots of the Mega Drive collection games do it well enough.

I was strangely not fussed about this considering it was one of the very few games I had for the SNES. I think maybe the levels were too big and sessions dragged on too long.

But then it was up against the legends that are Street Fighter and Mario Kart and most things would look a bit dull compared to them.

9 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Such a great game and I’m another that hasn’t played the sequel. In fact I didn’t even know there was one. Online co-op would be the icing on the cake if it’s included. It shouldn’t be difficult to implement, lots of the Mega Drive collection games do it well enough.

The sequel didn’t start life as a sequel; the company that made it licensed the ZAMN engine to make their own game but partway through development they changed it to be a sequel. It came out a year after the original, but wasn’t very well advertised and I never saw it in the shops. 

I loved this. Also managed to finish it on a real Mega Drive, no cheating (the trick, actually, is to attempt to finish the entire game in a single sitting - you should have ample power-ups for later levels, since you've been accumulating them throughout). As someone said, if you use the passwords you start the later levels so understocked it actually becomes impossible.

I also interviewed the guy behind it:

https://hg101.kontek.net/zamn/zamn1.htm

ZAMN was directly inspired by the old arcade game, Kyros.

It's great to see this being re-released, but I'm saddened it seems to be the inferior SNES version. Yeah, maybe it has a couple more colours, but the Mega Drive version is far superior thanks to its higher screen resolution.

Trying playing a 2 player game during one of the hectic later levels - you lose 20% of the screen thanks to both status bars. If you both activated your radar it's more like 40% of the screen. When playing with my brother we have both been killed by enemies because they were obscured when approaching frm the top of the screen. Compare that to the MD release where the play area is the exact same size as on the SNES, but those extra pixels on the side allow status bars etc to be neatly outside the game area. On the MD the gameplay area has no obstructions - it is the perfect way to play (with a 6 button controller for easier weapon swapping).

I get super pissed off when I see moronic YouTubers whining about the Mega Drive version, saying the screen size is smaller than on the SNES, because of the black bar at the side, when in fact the gameplay area for both is 256 pixels - the MD just has an overall res of 320, and those extra pixels form the black bar. Why are YouTubers so fucking dumb? :(

Here's an overlay I made. You can see very clearly how the SNES screen actually fits inside the MD one.

overlay.GIF

• 1 month later...