IGNORED

Battlefield 2042

Harsin

The PS5 version is mistakenly listed at £60 on PSN; £54 with EA Play. Probably the best price going pre-release, especially if you buy credit from ShopTo or similar.

On other hand, they're charging full price without a campaign and charging for seasons? Think I'll just wait for it to crater in price by year's end.

12 minutes ago, Ferine said:

On other hand, they're charging full price without a campaign

Woah there, no campaign?! Dammit. Thats what I'm here for. I loved the campaign in the last two games, didn't even play MP.

OUT.

7 minutes ago, mexos said:

Woah there, no campaign?! 

Which would be fine (your average BF campaign is dog excrement and a waste of resources). But the fine people who brought you FIFA Ultimate Team have decided that instead of releasing a more beefy MP offering to make up for it, they'll actually release even less than you'd expect and charge even more for it. Oh and it sounds like it going to be riddled with Fortnite style paid battlepasses as well (expect the usual assortment of a few rubbish emotes and sprays in the 'free' one as every other game with a battlepass).

Just now, Ry said:

I will never understand why adults buy these battlepass things. You would be as well buying barbie dolls and new dresses for her. 

Well. Yeah. That's pretty much exactly what it is. People like dressing up their avatars. It's nothing new, cosmetic customisation it's been in games for decades, they just figured out a way to monetize it. And this is their justification for the obliteration of traditional dlc based season passes. They don't want the player base split but they want that post launch lucre (for continued development of the game OBVIOUSLY).

6 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Well it works for CoD so there's the root of it. Are there other full price games that have a battlepass? Dear by Daylight does. Destiny does but is f2p to a degree.

Destiny is the obvious one for me, full price game plus expansions plus battle pass plus trying to sell silver constantly. It’s easily the worst value game I’ve ever played, but I still never felt ripped off because I played it for 200 hours. I’m pretty sure they’ve stripped most of the F2P content out now. 

In terms of the value of this, I’m not really fussed about the number of maps, you usually end up playing mostly on 3 or 4 anyway as they’re most populated. I feel like at least half my BF4 playtime was on Locker and Metro, with probably another quarter on Golmund and the rest on the other 20 something maps. 

I also notice there’s no mention of premium or paid for maps. If adding battle passes means every map is available to every player and there’s no premium it’s a better deal. As far as I remember my friend payed £50 for BF4 on launch day plus another £50 for premium. The gold edition of this with a year’s worth of battle passes is £30 extra.

6 minutes ago, Ry said:

I will never understand why adults buy these battlepass things. You would be as well buying barbie dolls and new dresses for her. 

It’s a double edged sword. Customers have made it clear that they will respond very badly to any game that offers gameplay advantages for money. Even extra maps and weapons and traditional DLC risk splitting your player base. So we’re in a situation where the market expects you not to charge money for anything that actually does anything. That just leaves cosmetics. If you don’t care you don’t buy it and you get the exact same game. People who do care about what their character looks like basically pay for the game for those who don’t. 

I like customising my character. Get some weapon skins etc. It’s a fun little meta game.

Get the fuck in in. I love all the hardware in these games but balsa wood planes and a sniper rifle made out of a broom and a bike bell in 1  never got me to stick with it. 

V was better but give me modern hardware and weapons. This looks back to its best and then some. 

1 minute ago, djbhammer said:

Oh yeah, despite my baulk at the asking price, I won’t be able to resist. Day 1 for Series X with my 63 teammates. Roll on Sunday’s gameplay reveal!

Is Sunday’s gameplay reveal at the Xbox show then? I wonder if it’ll be on Gamepass.

1 minute ago, JPL said:

Is Sunday’s gameplay reveal at the Xbox show then? I wonder if it’ll be on Gamepass.

Yep definite, confirmed by a Director at EA on twitter that gameplay is during Microsoft show. Doubtful for Gamepass, if it did happen though would be amazing.

52 minutes ago, Stanley said:

CGI trailers are pointless, I mean when you watch a trailer for a film it’s not usually in an entirely different medium. 

I always get confused when you see people going woah that game looks amazing after watching a CGI trailer from Blur or another studio. Do they genuinely not realise?

5 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I always get confused when you see people going woah that game looks amazing after watching a CGI trailer from Blur or another studio. Do they genuinely not realise?

Jesus Christ mate, this game clearly crawled right up your arse and is causing you considerable discomfort. 

1 hour ago, djbhammer said:

Yep definite, confirmed by a Director at EA on twitter that gameplay is during Microsoft show. Doubtful for Gamepass, if it did happen though would be amazing.

It’s up for preorder on the Xbox store right now with a 10% discount for Game Pass Ultimate subscribers which of course includes EA Play, so it’s looking unlikely. 

The Ultimate Edition is £109.99.

Battlefield was 59.99 for PS5 when I looked while sitting on the toilet earlier but it’s now 69.99 , I just loaded the ps app up to see if I was correct and I literally saw it say 59.99 before changing in real time two second later to 69.99.