IGNORED

Battlefield 2042

Harsin

Purchasers of the Ultimate edition (and I think Gold/Deluxe) get to start on the 12th, as does the EA Play 10 hour trial.

I'll just be over here waiting for everyone kicking off about being able to play Forza Horizon 5 early for a fee to come into the thread and start blarting about EA doing it too. As they have done before. Many times.

PC Gamer preview is quite favourable as well. Oddly I had more fun on the beta with the PS5 version as on PC most of the settings didn’t seem to do much. Low / Medium / High didn’t matter, I just got the same frame rate regardless. :lol:

29 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Doesn’t look amazing but it looks good and is high res. Server seem to hold up well.

Graphically? I've been wowed several times this evening - I got actual goosebumps first time I loaded in to the shipping container level and it was just mayhem.

I love it!

49 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Graphically? I've been wowed several times this evening - I got actual goosebumps first time I loaded in to the shipping container level and it was just mayhem.

I love it!

I love the beginning of the game with the little cut scene then you just get madness and 64 people on your team running towards hell.

The sound effects are spectacular.

It still has that battlefield junk though and the cockpits are all pretty bad.

It’s going to be fun though.

Got to play it a bit yesterday. Was quite OK apart from the servers not holding up, there were some serious lagg when playing 128 man Conquest.

Some really weird animation too that seemed to operate at 10 fps. Throwing armor plates for example.

The UI (menues) can as always f**k off. I don't understand how it can be so hard to create a well functioning UI.

For example I couldn't find a way to favorite a Portal server while playing. So I have to search again and hope that I remember what it was called, and with the full launch there will be thousands of servers. The search filters also seemed very limited.

Sound seemed strangely balanced with gun fire very muted and super high footstep sound.

6 minutes ago, smithstock said:

Is this free trial thing available for everyone on game pass? I can't seem to find where/if I can download it on Series X.

It is an Ultimate thing I think, you need to have access to EA Play.

I went to the normal store and downloaded it. About 52Gb.

14 minutes ago, koefoed said:

It is an Ultimate thing I think, you need to have access to EA Play.

I went to the normal store and downloaded it. About 52Gb.

Yeah I have ultimate but still couldn't see it - is there a web link or something?

EDIT - think I got it!

I think the speed of the new consoles in terms of loading is doing a lot for the experience.

Those other battlefield games from PS4 just took so damn long to load ,it was painful. Almost as bad as gta.

Anyway, I know if I take this game too seriously I’ll get fed up with it. So I’m just going to have fun, unlock stuff, record some mayhem clips and keep playing it over the next year on and off. I plan for it to be my go to “just have a game of….” before a shower game.

When you hold L1 to bring up the cross menu….why in the world is d pad not the thing that switches the attachments. All throughout the beta I couldn’t get it to work, I thought it just wasn’t in the beta till I saw some video of someone using it and even then I couldn’t figure it out…we’re the button prompts even in the beta?

4 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

When you hold L1 to bring up the cross menu….why in the world is d pad not the thing that switches the attachments. All throughout the beta I couldn’t get it to work, I thought it just wasn’t in the beta till I saw some video of someone using it and even then I couldn’t figure it out…we’re the button prompts even in the beta?

I had that too  I thought it was bugged somehow until I realised I was supposed to imagine I was using an N64 controller. :lol:

It's a bizarre gameplay decision that I can't believe no one brought up during playtesting.

3 hours ago, Pob said:

It's because if you had to use the d-pad you would not be able to manage attachments without stopping moving (you'd have to take your thumb off the left stick). It should have button prompts, though.

That makes sense  although I think, had I* been involved, I might have suggested that when the cross menu is active that d-pad, face buttons, right stick (or left if playing southpaw) would all allow selection for the sake of player flexibility.

It's not a system I like anyway (although I'll reserve full judgement until I've played the game properly). IMO weapon setups should be something that can only be done pre-deployment, not on the fly at any point (or maybe at ammo drops or something).  It adds  complexity and reduces strategic choices / risks. Now all players have a big bag of scopes and shit on them at all times it seems.

* I am not a games developer. :)

Got the annual too many games to play problem.

Enjoying GOTG, enjoying COD Vanguard and now downloading Battlefield.

GOTG will get finished and sold on but COD and BF will be fighting for attention being FPSs. Halo joining that dilemma also soon.

(Not to mention getting use out of the OLED Switch)

51 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

I think so.

i thought turning it off would just stop me playing with pc players but I think it shuts out the Xbox one too?

i want to limit the amount of mouse players I’m playing against.

Xbox One and PS4 players are a different game essentially and can only play each other.