Jump to content
IGNORED

Battlefield 2042


Harsin
 Share

Recommended Posts

Reading the full post-beta briefing is interesting. The 'big map' feature isn't locked in for Day 1 right now, for instance.

 

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/battlefield/battlefield-2042/news/battlefield-briefing-what-we-learned-from-open-beta

 

Another criticism - that you don't spawn with the last setup of your weapon as per the the plus system - is confirmed as a feature.

 

It reads as if the UI elements needed to communicate who needs health, ammo, revives etc is still a work in progress, but they're at least adding it for Day 1 (but not early access). UI elements around noting friend vs foe are also down to the wire - these seem like points of feedback which caught them on the hop, which is surprising.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

 

Another criticism - that you don't spawn with the last setup of your weapon as per the the plus system - is confirmed as a feature.

 

That makes sense to me. You loadout has you setup your weapon with your extra options in the plus system. When you spawn you should have the default of what you setup as the loadout. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, T Pot said:

 

That makes sense to me. You loadout has you setup your weapon with your extra options in the plus system. When you spawn you should have the default of what you setup as the loadout. 

 

It functionally makes sense, yes. But, in a hotly contested area where you're respawning on a squad mate while trying to take a flag, it adds a layer of complexity to that respawn that puts you at a disadvantage and potentially double-punishes you for dying. That DMR you'd switched to CQB attachments for the flag defence? You're back to a 6x scope and less effective ammo now. That's going to be a particular issue in certain game modes. 

 

Of course, the opposite is true. You get steam rolled and respawn with your last setup in a different spot and you need to switch back to long range attachments. It's perhaps a fundamental weakness in the loadout system that it'll take a bunch of time playing it with to understand how it affects the game on a tactical level.

 

But combined with the absence of squadmate respawn camera and the absence of the class system meaning you don't know what loadout your squad has, it's a but messy.

 

This is absolutely a game that's going to benefit from tight knit squads that play together over VOIP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

So much of the extraneous bullshit is straight from Warzone and CoD. The specialists, the end poses, all the claptrap surrounding the game. That's a worry if it's the philosophy they've been following.

Yep my thoughts exactly.  When I played the beta, it simply did not feel like Battlefield.  Just feels like it's completely lost it's DNA, sad times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some new gameplay footage from three other maps.

 

 

I can't honestly say I'm excited looking at that - the maps feel a bit uninspired. It's only a short trailer though I suppose.

 

It also feels a bit "Don't anyone try to kill me while I shoot you all while making this trailer run-through".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a heads up if anyone was wondering. You can easily cancel your XBox digital preorders. In my case I went to Microsoft.com (Xbox.com probably works too), signed in and went into my account. Find the purchase history and hit cancel. Job done.

 

Dunno if the same thing is possible on PSN but probably is (Or maybe not. This is Sony after all).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Without seeing them in full I suppose it’s not fair to comment. But from that video they look like massive open spaces with a central hub/building and that’s  it. 


Can’t help feeling being stuck in no man’s land on that Antarctic map is enough to grenade yourself. 

 

i think back to bf3 and 4 and bad company 1 and 2 and how some of those maps are just utter classics. Really really unsure about this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dave White said:

Without seeing them in full I suppose it’s not fair to comment. But from that video they look like massive open spaces with a central hub/building and that’s  it. 


Can’t help feeling being stuck in no man’s land on that Antarctic map is enough to grenade yourself. 

 

i think back to bf3 and 4 and bad company 1 and 2 and how some of those maps are just utter classics. Really really unsure about this. 

 

There's 3 classic maps at launch with more to come.

 

I think it's looking great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dave White said:

Without seeing them in full I suppose it’s not fair to comment. But from that video they look like massive open spaces with a central hub/building and that’s  it. 


Can’t help feeling being stuck in no man’s land on that Antarctic map is enough to grenade yourself. 

 

i think back to bf3 and 4 and bad company 1 and 2 and how some of those maps are just utter classics. Really really unsure about this. 

Thats just a small part of a larger map though, you can get yourself to bits of the map that are more infantry focused (so they claim).

 

We had no issues getting about in the beta, was usually something about to get us where we wanted to be.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trying to pre-order here but a little confused. I have an xboxone but hope to have a series X if I can ever find one. The descriptions make it sound like the two versions are interchangeable but I take it I'll need to get the series X/S one to future proof it? The descriptions make it sound like they are interchangeable, hence my confusion. If got the xboxone version, would it play on series X but with fewer features or something? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Blue said:

Trying to pre-order here but a little confused. I have an xboxone but hope to have a series X if I can ever find one. The descriptions make it sound like the two versions are interchangeable but I take it I'll need to get the series X/S one to future proof it? The descriptions make it sound like they are interchangeable, hence my confusion. If got the xboxone version, would it play on series X but with fewer features or something? 

 

If you go to search on the store and put in 2042 it comes up with all of them and there's a 'cross gen bundle'.  But you have to buy the £62.99 or greater ones, the £53.99 one is One only.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

 

If you go to search on the store and put in 2042 it comes up with all of them and there's a 'cross gen bundle'.  But you have to buy the £62.99 or greater ones, the £53.99 one is One only.

 

wasn't that supposed to be a no-no in the grand cross-gen "xbox" future?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, SeanR said:

 

wasn't that supposed to be a no-no in the grand cross-gen "xbox" future?

 

It's entirely up to the publisher, it's not mandatory. Just like it's not mandatory on PS5, but it's preferable. I guess MS offer incentives to do smart delivery but EA are like "lol, no. More money pls"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Waggo said:

10 hour trial coming to GP via EA Access next week.

 

https://gamingbolt.com/battlefield-2042s-free-10-hour-trial-will-begin-for-ea-play-and-xbox-game-pass-subscribers-next-week

 

Was a bit undecided whether to buy at launch following the demo, so this is a bit of a godsend tbh.

 

Nice - any more reputable source for this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

It's on EA's blog

 

 I had a look and couldnt find it,  great news.  My Monday night pals are on the fence, 5 of us, 4 man squads so thats annoying.  Plus we went day 1 with BF5 and were underwhelmed.  Plus Halo & Forza all free in this time slot.  I reckon 10 hours should be enough to decide if we buy or wait until gamepass next year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I just don't see how Portal doesn't cannibalise the base game. I also don't see how it's not just going to be populated without the stupidest of games given how much you can customise.

 

Because a ton of people will just want core battlefield of the past. Especially if the core game doesn't click with them. 

 

The fact I can play normal rules and actual classes rather than this operator nonsense makes it a godsend.

 

I can guarantee you the majority of game types made by people will be normal Battlefield classes of BF3 and BC2 but on all the new maps. 

 

The amount of customisation is a good thing imo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't articulate my concerns properly, which is frustrating. It just seems like there's so many options that people can fiddle with everything that either people who make the effort and recreate previous Battlefields to a T will always have servers full, or that people will make the stupidest combinations possible. I don't see how you balance 1942 weapons VS modern ones, for example. There's like 75 weapons apparently.

 

Giving people total control is always a bad idea, especially when it comes to player made servers. If you were rinsing the server owner in BF4 you got kicked and banned. They also had stupid house rules which would get you kicked and banned. I dunno. I just wish they'd rather not deviated so far from the actual template with 2042. The 3D spotting is in Portal, so why the fuck remove it? It's a bizarre decision to go "If you don't like the new game play the old game!".

 

Anyway Westie has a good breakdown of Portal for those interested

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I can't articulate my concerns properly, which is frustrating. It just seems like there's so many options that people can fiddle with everything that either people who make the effort and recreate previous Battlefields to a T will always have servers full, or that people will make the stupidest combinations possible. I don't see how you balance 1942 weapons VS modern ones, for example. There's like 75 weapons apparently.

 

Giving people total control is always a bad idea, especially when it comes to player made servers. If you were rinsing the server owner in BF4 you got kicked and banned. They also had stupid house rules which would get you kicked and banned. I dunno. I just wish they'd rather not deviated so far from the actual template with 2042. The 3D spotting is in Portal, so why the fuck remove it? It's a bizarre decision to go "If you don't like the new game play the old game!".

 

Anyway Westie has a good breakdown of Portal for those interested

 

 

I think my Great Hope for Portal is that Dice run event based servers in there, with well thought out configs. At the end of the day, this is a community lead problem that's the same as the BF4 expansions debacle, except at least this time the entire game community can access it and there aren't paywalls.

I also expect some Old Skool servers to just sit alive constantly - though JackFrags concern that servers expiring when population is zero is nonsense. They need to, and then natural selection kicks in. I presume, however, that my custom server settings remain persistent, and I just need to spin it back up when friends are online if I want to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

 

I think my Great Hope for Portal is that Dice run event based servers in there, with well thought out configs. At the end of the day, this is a community lead problem that's the same as the BF4 expansions debacle, except at least this time the entire game community can access it and there aren't paywalls.

 

 

Like most user created content, I expect that 99% will be utter garbage, or a laugh for a few plays and then never touch it again type stuff. The much smaller volume of best quality content will hopefully persist and there may even be the possibility that something genuinely new and inventive arises from this.

 

Quote

I also expect some Old Skool servers to just sit alive constantly - though JackFrags concern that servers expiring when population is zero is nonsense. They need to, and then natural selection kicks in. I presume, however, that my custom server settings remain persistent, and I just need to spin it back up when friends are online if I want to.

My understanding is that configs can be saved and re-launched by the creator, and that they can be shared with others so that they can use the same settings. This could mean that popular configurations are spread across multiple servers as a result of them being shared widely, resulting in a lot more availability for players. The fact that server configs won't persist after the last player leaves might be a disadvantage for anything that is limited in its availability though as you can't just join the empty server and wait for it to attract more players - it will be completely unavailable until the owner chooses to launch it again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did sometching I never thought I would do. I pre ordered the gold edition.

I get to play it a week before release…..sorry, I mean I get to give EA 20 quid to stop all of you playing it for a week.

 

Anyway I  had 10 quid already so just needed 70 quid worth of credit to get up to 80 quid to make 90 quid to pre order the game.

 

I just spent 90 quid on an EA game.

An EA game that was broken as a shit just a few weeks ago, has no single player, doesn’t look next gen in the slightest and no one is excited for.

 

I just kinda liked the beta and I think I’ve only bought Deathloop this year so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

I did sometching I never thought I would do. I pre ordered the gold edition.

I get to play it a week before release…..sorry, I mean I get to give EA 20 quid to stop all of you playing it for a week.

 

Anyway I  had 10 quid already so just needed 70 quid worth of credit to get up quid to make 90 quid to pre order the game.

 

I just spent 90 quid on an EA game.

An EA game that was broken as a shit just a few weeks ago, has no single player, doesn’t look next gen in the slightest and no one is excited for.

 

I just kinda liked the beta and I think I’ve only bought Deathloop this year so far.

 

I'm in the same boat. The Alpha and Beta were both broken as shit, but when I played with my mates I really enjoyed it. This is the first full price release I've bought in 2021.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.