The Green Knight - Dev Patel, Joel Edgerton

Captain Kelsten

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind. But I found it slow, plodding, tedious, pretentious, visually stunning, well acted, boring and pointless. 

As for the giants, I was expecting more. 

And the fox in ghost of tsushima had more personality. 

The end was quite good, but there's a lot of slog to get there. 

75e582cedfe1a7088a1474b4afd0ea2e9a-01-monty-python-holy-grail.rsocial.w1200.jpg

I watched this last night too, and really enjoyed it - I thought it did a really good job of preserving the weirdness of the original poem, while updating the themes and the concerns of the characters to something that’s a bit more relatable to modern audiences. And there was a really interesting combination of fantasy world and realistically grim medieval setting - it preserves the dream logic of medieval literature, while layering a lot of visual texture on top. 

I had a few niggles. The chapter headings go through weirdness and into quirkiness, and are a bit too Wes Anderson compared to the rest of the film. The visuals were stunning, but some of the scenes set in murky, gloomy environments looked awful because of the harsh compression and colour banding. I’m not normally bothered by that sort of thing, but some of the swamp scenes looked like they were being played off CD-ROM. Not sure whether it’s Amazon’s fault or the distributor, but I would much rather have watched on blu-ray.

Other things: Alicia Vikander is good, but her peasant accent is distractingly off. It’s like she says nine words in RP and one in Coronation Street, and hits the Coronation Street bit super-hard to compensate. And Joel Edgerton is good too, but seems to be doing an impression of Ian McKellen. 

But overall, a brilliantly weird thing, like Nicholas Winding Refn directing an episode of Robin of Sherwood. I imagine the filmmakers told the financiers that it would be like Game of Thrones, and the end result is extremely off-kilter and very uncommercial, which would probably explain why it’s been dumped like this, but I thought it was fascinating and beautiful. 

9 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind. But I found it slow, plodding, tedious, pretentious, visually stunning, well acted, boring and pointless. 

As for the giants, I was expecting more. 

And the fox in ghost of tsushima had more personality. 

The end was quite good, but there's a lot of slog to get there. 

75e582cedfe1a7088a1474b4afd0ea2e9a-01-monty-python-holy-grail.rsocial.w1200.jpg

It’s a terrible film. I like a challenging movie, even something that’s stylish but impenetrable. However, The Green Knight is incredibly tedious. I’ve watched some crap recently but this has to be one of the most boring things I’ve ever saw. 

I really liked this. It's proper arthouse wank.

The trailer completely mis-sells it as some sort of Game of Thrones fantasy epic for geeky popcorn munchers or whatever by just showing the out there bits out of context :lol:

I mean it is a fantasy epic, but not in the way tiresome people use the word epic.

7 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I really want to see this on the big screen but none of the cinemas near me are showing it. Closest one is Cardiff, which is two hours from me. I'll have to wait for the 4K release. Mark Kermode loves it - 5 stars in The Observer.

I just watched it in 4K UHD on Amazon prime. Was pretty lovely on the CX. 

Film was good. Pete's dragon was better. 

2 hours ago, Benny said:

Agreed. It's a 4/5 rather than a 5/5.

I dock it a point for Alicia Vikander's baffling accent.

She just wanted to be a “Lurrrdeee.”

Keoghan’s accent was all over the place too.

Mind you, that was the most audible Sean Harris has ever been. Only needed the subs for about a third of his lines.

14 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

In the original poem, he goes back and tells the tale of the quest. And the belt makes more sense. 

I felt like this adaption did some odd things with the original story that didnt really make much sense to me, but Ill be honest im basing my remembering from enjoying Arthurian Legend as a kid. 

Spoiler

His mother giving him the belt at the start and the belt being stolen ? Im pretty sure none of this happened right ? 

And the ending of the original was totally different as well wasn't it? Isnt he used as a lesson for the other knights ? 

It needlessly confusticated some stuff, and lost the impact of some other parts - not to mention throwing some imagery into the trailer that was pretty disengenuous to boot! 

Bearing in mind that the Arthurian legends are a mish mash of old legends and folklore so there isn't really a definitive story.

Spoiler

Gwain cuts the head off the green knight, arses around for 11 months, then is forced to go on the quest to learn to grow up. Has various scrapes depending on which version you read. Then he meets a knight with a wife and castle who invites him in for Christmas and says the chapel he seeks is just down the road.

Gwain stays and the knight says he's going hunting and offers to share anything he he finds if Gwain will do the say whilst staying in the Castle, they agree to this and the knight goes off. 

Gwain stays in the castle and the wife tries to seduce him, he refuses because he is chased and what to be a good knight. After 3 days of this Gwain eventually kisses her and she gives him a belt that makes him invulnerable.

The knight returns each day and they share the food he's caught and Gwain says he has nothing. until the third day he admits to the kissing , but not the belt.  

On new years day Gwain goes off to the chapel and finds the knight was the Green knight in disguise. they chat and then the green knight says he will have three goes at trying to cut off Gwains head.

In the version I know, Gwain takes off the belt and confesses to having been given it by the wife. There are versions where he doesn't take it off and ones where the green knight says he knows about it already. 

The up shot is the knight takes two swings at Gwains head and stops just short each time. Then on the third swing he cut Gwain a small cut and says Gwain shouldn't have lied about the belt until now but as he has learnt to be a pious man in the face of god blah blah blah its all fine and sends him home to be a good and honorable knight.

Which is a great story, if a little preachy about being a good Christian and an honorable knight etc. Why you would change that ending to the one the film went with .. literally an art school wank, I have no idea.