The Green Knight - Dev Patel, Joel Edgerton

Captain Kelsten

Not sure if this includes the uk but A24 are releasing it to digital platforms from tomorrow.

A24 has announced that “The Green Knight” will be available to rent on digital platforms starting Thursday. It will be on Amazon Prime Video, Apple TV, Google Play, YouTube, Vudu, Fandango Now, Redbox and more.

“This Thursday, August 19th, David Lowery’s acclaimed Arthurian epic ‘The Green Knight’ will be available everywhere you rent movies. Starring Dev Patel as the legendary Sir Gawain — there’s no better company for a hot summer knight,” A24 said in a release announcing the news.

1 hour ago, johnno15 said:

Not sure if this includes the uk but A24 are releasing it to digital platforms from tomorrow.

A24 has announced that “The Green Knight” will be available to rent on digital platforms starting Thursday. It will be on Amazon Prime Video, Apple TV, Google Play, YouTube, Vudu, Fandango Now, Redbox and more.

“This Thursday, August 19th, David Lowery’s acclaimed Arthurian epic ‘The Green Knight’ will be available everywhere you rent movies. Starring Dev Patel as the legendary Sir Gawain — there’s no better company for a hot summer knight,” A24 said in a release announcing the news.

But they haven't indicated whether the UK and Ireland are included.

A24 are fucking idiots who've utterly ballsed up this film.

1 minute ago, noizu said:

It's awful that risky propositions like this and Dune are probably gonna suffer most from the effects of the pandemic on the cinema industry. Bigger problems out there, obviously, but it still sucks.

But it doesn't have to - just release for streaming in all countries and charge appropriately. Did I pirate Black Widow? Nope, I paid the £20, and so did millions of others. I'll happily pay that again to watch new releases in my own home rather than the cinema. 

33 minutes ago, Thor said:

But it doesn't have to - just release for streaming in all countries and charge appropriately. Did I pirate Black Widow? Nope, I paid the £20, and so did millions of others. I'll happily pay that again to watch new releases in my own home rather than the cinema. 

And millions will also have pirated it because a new release was available in their homes in 1080p from day 1, which has never happened before the pandemic with these big releases.

I still don't get why they aren't just releasing in stages. Give it a month's cinema run, everyone who is desperate and feels safe to see it there will. Then a month later, do premium streaming at £20. That seems like a win win in these times. 

7 hours ago, Thor said:

Very much this. I pirated it because I was desperate to see it. But give me a legal download option (or even a not to far off release date) and I’ll pay every time. As I did with Black Widow and others. The UK seems to get more and more shafted with release windows in recent years. Especially around Oscar time, when presumably they rush out the US release in time for qualification.

Just finished watching it. 

I know nothing of the legend or poem so was going in blind. 

Will leave my thoughts in the rate the movie thread but all I can say is. Wow. 

We just watched it. My wife says she didn't get most of it. And she is far 'better' at watching movies like this than I am.

I thought it was pretty obtuse for little gain tbh.

It looked nice in places but the camera angles and wide shots looked off to me. 

Watched it last night. My viewing pleasure was tempered only by the fact I was watching it with my wife and I knew after about 15 minutes she was going to say it was “one of your weird films”.

I loved it. It was beautiful to look at, had a great score and had a sense of weirdness and dread that felt authentic. 

I didn’t know about the mythology or the poem beforehand but read about it afterwards. Really Interesting.

Oh, and I thought Dev Patel was excellent.

I look forward to watching this again at some stage (by myself).

6 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Ok am back from rotten tomatoes. Critics like the film but normal people don’t like it.

so it’s a good film, you just have to be clever enough to realize that it’s a good film.

You may as well give it a chance. 

10 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Ok am back from rotten tomatoes. Critics like the film but normal people don’t like it.

so it’s a good film, you just have to be clever enough to realize that it’s a good film.

This is interesting and the same conversation I had with my wife after watching it.

In lots of ways (not least that it’s based on poem) it’s a very straight translation of story to film. Myths, legends and fables often exist for no reason other than to tell a story; Bean stalks, dragon slayers, betrayal, honour, greed, blah blah.

Much of the film dawdled and some elements were confusing and open to multiple interpretations but I loved it.

Yeah I just purchased it and watched, I really liked it! 

yeah if you’re into marvel films or films with ryan Reynolds etc I’d stay well away (“why is there hard to read big text on the screen?? Why is the camera going upside down for no reason?? Etc) but for the more open minded and sophisticated/artistic film enthusiasts like me this is an absolute gem.

I went straight to a ‘explained’ video after, which for me is always a sign of a great movie. 

11 hours ago, Bazjam said:

I thought this video was really good. Obviously no one watch who hasn’t seen the film.

I watched this afterwards and even though I thought a lot of it was going over my head, it seems it wasn't and I was right about a ton of stuff. 

Although 

Spoiler

What we're the massive giants all about? 

A thing I thought I noticed and was confirmed,

Spoiler

The Green Knights look at the end, I noticed he subtlety looked like the other characters (chastity, genorousity etc) for a split second. It's very hard to notice but damn that's clever

I can't wait to watch it again. Can't stop thinking about it. 

I loved David Lowerys last film, A Ghost Story. A film that's not for normal/casual movie goers. And can't wait to see what he's doing next. 

*checks IMDB*

Petes Dragon.... Whaaaa?

30 minutes ago, Ry said:

I watched this afterwards and even though I thought a lot of it was going over my head, it seems it wasn't and I was right about a ton of stuff. 

I reckon you can overthink these films. Like I said earlier it exists just to tell a story in the same way that legends and fables do. They are basically a collection of Macguffins!

30 minutes ago, Ry said:

Although 

Hide contents

What we're the massive giants all about? 

Spoiler

I assumed he was still tripping from the mushrooms. Wasn’t that part of the “interlude” section?

Or the explanation could just be: why are there giants? Why not!

30 minutes ago, Ry said:

*checks IMDB*

Petes Dragon.... Whaaaa?

Yep, some resumé!