The Green Knight - Dev Patel, Joel Edgerton

Captain Kelsten

That looks really interesting. I read Sir Gawain & the Green Knight at university, and the creepy, trippy quality of it has stuck with me ever since. Most of the stuff we had to read on Arthurian myth was like drinking polyfilla, but the Green Knight was full of weird, striking imagery - the symbolism is so strong that it seemed to resonate just as strongly with a modern audience as it must have with the people who heard it when it was originally written. 

48 minutes ago, K said:

That looks really interesting. I read Sir Gawain & the Green Knight at university, and the creepy, trippy quality of it has stuck with me ever since. Most of the stuff we had to read on Arthurian myth was like drinking polyfilla, but the Green Knight was full of weird, striking imagery - the symbolism is so strong that it seemed to resonate just as strongly with a modern audience as it must have with the people who heard it when it was originally written. 

Haha, exactly the same for me. Loved Gawain, hated Malory.

2 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Is that Chris Finch as the Green Knight? Foreboding and a bloody good sales rep.

I read an interview with him where he talks about he still gets called Finchy all the time. But he is Finchy, whenever he turns up in anything I always shout "bloody good rep!" at the telly.

Anyway, I love a bit of British Mythology and this had me with the costumes, then giants turn up! Very excited. I hope they are true to the sport of the source as well, looks like they are. Simon Armitage did a brilliant BBC doc on the poem, alas not available at the moment.

42 minutes ago, Pete said:

I read an interview with him where he talks about he still gets called Finchy all the time. But he is Finchy, whenever he turns up in anything I always shout "bloody good rep!" at the telly.

I really thought we had a topic for this, I remember an older trailer and getting excited. Still am!

I believe it's out on 30th July but that might be USA-only.

Here is a fun twitter thread recap of the tale if you want a reminder - but of course it would mean spoilers for the main plot.

My most wanted film. Feel like it's been about 5 years since it was first announced. 

Probably the first film I see back at the cinema. (unless it reviews badly) 

• 2 months later...

Reviews are starting to appear, looking very impressive, currently sitting at 90 on MetaCritic from 15 reviews. Real shame the UK release date was pulled, not seen anything since about a revised date either.

Indiewire A-

Surreal, stoned, and glistening with a layer of heavy metal realness, David Lowery's medieval adventure is a chivalric romance for the ages.

Consequence A

The Verdict:

The film is a slow, mournful rumination on our desires to live forever through story, song, and deed — a fitting adaptation from the director of A Ghost Story, another movie deeply interested in facing death head-on. (It’s also certain to be an unconventional Christmas classic for a certain breed of film fan, which I wholly endorse.) However you slice it, it’s an easy candidate for one of the year’s best.

Den of Geek

David Lowery’s deconstructionist adaptation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is one of the best movies ever inspired by King Arthur lore.

Variety

Dev Patel is a Fellowship of One in David Lowery’s Somberly Majestic Medieval Death Trip

Guardian 4/5

Dev Patel takes a magical and masterly quest

26 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

Reviews are starting to appear, looking very impressive, currently sitting at 90 on MetaCritic from 15 reviews. Real shame the UK release date was pulled, not seen anything since about a revised date either.

Indiewire A-

Surreal, stoned, and glistening with a layer of heavy metal realness, David Lowery's medieval adventure is a chivalric romance for the ages.

Consequence A

The Verdict:

The film is a slow, mournful rumination on our desires to live forever through story, song, and deed — a fitting adaptation from the director of A Ghost Story, another movie deeply interested in facing death head-on. (It’s also certain to be an unconventional Christmas classic for a certain breed of film fan, which I wholly endorse.) However you slice it, it’s an easy candidate for one of the year’s best.

Den of Geek

David Lowery’s deconstructionist adaptation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is one of the best movies ever inspired by King Arthur lore.

Variety

Dev Patel is a Fellowship of One in David Lowery’s Somberly Majestic Medieval Death Trip

Guardian 4/5

Dev Patel takes a magical and masterly quest

No fucking cinema release.

FUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKK

I see a few articles stating this is coming to Amazon Prime on the 21st August, but they are still sites I've never heard of and can't see their source where they are pulling this information from.

Going to do some more digging but atm there is no theatrical release for us and nothing official about if/when this is getting a digital release.

• 2 weeks later...