Intergalactic - new Sky sci fi drama

That thumbnail certainly doesn't scream Must Watch television.

Probably going to setback any further attempts at women-centred Sci-Fi from a UK source, given the poor reviews. I assume Sky took a chance on it due to Killing Eve being popular.

I've heard it's shit though. But from the same place I've also heard it extremely tenuously compared to Killing Eve, so I'm not sure how reliable that source is.

I’ve not seen killing eve so can’t compare but I watched two episodes of this and really wish I hadn’t. It’s an alright premise, but everyone in it is bloody terrible. 

I was reading some reviews for it and it reminded me of Killing Eve a bit, couldn't think of many other reasons Sky would take a punt on it, considering the person behind it is most famous for doing The Secret Diary Of A Call Girl, though her last 2 TV series were about the wives of prisoners and the police so this could be viewed as a further extension of things she has done before, but with a futuristic setting.

Intergalactic is a TV rarity: expansive, British, women-driven sci-fi. The brainchild of Julie Geary (The Secret Diary Of A Call Girl), the eight-part Sky One show has all the ambition, appetite and desire to entertain of a big Hollywood action flick, but the intent is sabotaged by a lack of fresh ideas, subtlety and budget.

This comment was made about Killing Eve:

BBC America president Sarah Barnett commented that "there is a marvelous sea change happening where we are profoundly shifting away from an invisible, unconscious assumption that the big stories have men at the center, and anything else is a subset of that"

Having a mostly female cast is great unless you force them to play the most cliché, shit characters imaginable. There's the rookie cop wrongfully accused of a crime she didn't commit and you can tell she's a woman because she cries a lot. There's the psycho criminal, then there's the really psycho criminal channelling a bad Harley Quinn impersonation, then there's the creepy scientist with the futuristic hannibal lector mask, there's the skeezy hacker who you can tell will probably turn out alright. And then there's a lady who can attack people with her dreadlocks for some reason, like if Sindel from Mortal Kombat got a bit carried away on the old coconut cocktails on a Caribbean holiday and had her hair put in locks.

47 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

like if Sindel from Mortal Kombat got a bit carried away on the old coconut cocktails on a Caribbean holiday and had her hair put in locks.

But this makes me want to watch it.

14 hours ago, Pug said:

Didn't get far in the first episode before turning off.

We lasted about 15m, it was dire, the main actress in those first 15m seemed to waft around every seen she was in smirking for some odd reason, and the CGI wasn't much better than the sort of stuff you'd see on Amiga PD discs.

Life's too short to stick with things you know are clunkers like this so we binned it pronto.

On 09/05/2021 at 21:13, revlob said:

Is there any women-centred sci-fi from any source that I should be aware of? Television-wise.

Doctor Who.