Underground Railroad (Amazon Prime)

Review for Barry Jenkins' new show the Underground Railroad (thought there was a separate thread for the show but searching could not find one) from Joblo , gave it 10/10, conclusion of the review:

'You are unlikely to see anything else this year that will stay with you like how this series stayed with me. The Underground Railroad is an absolute masterpiece.'

The show starts on the 14th May.

oh, I didn't even know they were adapting that. If it doesn't turn out to be too traumatic an experience* I am looking forward to that.

*I read an article recently that kinda crystallised some thoughts I'd been having of how a lot of 'entertainment' lately seems to be about watching horrible things happen to black people. Sometimes it just feels a bit too much. No doubt that the source material and Barry Jenkins aren't going to be anything too gratuitous, but still.

There was a torture/beating episode in the novel that was horrendous. Looking forward to seeing what they do with it. I read it a few years ago and had totally forgotten I had until these posts popped up.

4 hours ago, grounded_dreams said:

Review for Barry Jenkins' new show the Underground Railroad (thought there was a separate thread for the show but searching could not find one) from Joblo , gave it 10/10, conclusion of the review:

'You are unlikely to see anything else this year that will stay with you like how this series stayed with me. The Underground Railroad is an absolute masterpiece.'

The show starts on the 14th May.

Wowzers this looks sensational. Can’t wait.

I’m so excited for Underground Railroad, such a superb book. In my Top 5 ever, a magnificent piece of writing. Hoping the series reaches the same fitting heights; there was an article about it in Empire and sounds very promising. 

• gospvg changed the title to Underground Railroad (Amazon Prime)
  • 2 weeks later...

Is it me or is the dialogue in this sounding kinda muffled and low in the mix? I’m listening with Dolby Atmos on a soundbar, but switching to stereo through the TV speakers doesn’t really improve things. 

I’m 5 episodes in and this is absolutely enthralling, if relentlessly grim, viewing. Beautifully shot and the use of colours and shadow is wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of the best things I've ever seen. Absolutely amazing from start to finish. Definitely not for the faint of heart though, my wife had to stop watching after a while because it was just too dark.