Flashback 2 announced

simms

29 minutes ago, b00dles said:

It really wasn't that good but fade to black has a really, really clever control setup with the (presumably long dead) ms sidewinder 3d flightstick. It was a surprisingly clever use of throttle, pitch and yaw etc in a 3d game. 

Not a patch on twin analogue etc these days but it was really something different way back then. 

I remember this! Was all up in my number pad on PC iirc

I really enjoyed Fade to Black at the time.

26 minutes ago, merrychan said:

I remember this! Was all up in my number pad on PC iirc

I really enjoyed Fade to Black at the time.

Quite amusingly given what happened to the franchises, I remember being really disappointed that tomb raider 1 on PC didn't use the same scheme and was best controlled using the num pad.

On another note, I think it's a huge shame that they took out some of the flair that you could add to your movements in tomb raider. Being able to do that (very silly) mount on a ledge and so on was pretty cool. 

Writing this and my last post in here makes me think that I evidently would like a game that really concentrates on controllable acrobatics and movement, rather than the current option of contextual controls and press A to complete the krypton factor. 

5 hours ago, b00dles said:

Writing this and my last post in here makes me think that I evidently would like a game that really concentrates on controllable acrobatics and movement, rather than the current option of contextual controls and press A to complete the krypton factor. 

The Skate to Assassin's Creed's Tony Hawk's?

(not a sentence I ever thought I'd write...)

FYI, the remastered Flashback is currently about £1.50 on the PSN store. It seems a bit haphazard - the “remastered visuals” look like that godawful 2xSal filter you used to get on emulators, and the protagonist has a red t-shirt in-game and a white one in cutscenes. But you can turn most of the new stuff off and some of it is actually OK, like the rewind function and a surprisingly good CRT filter. It’s worth £1.50 if anyone fancies a replay. 

5 minutes ago, matt0 said:

The Skate to Assassin's Creed's Tony Hawk's?

(not a sentence I ever thought I'd write...)

Very much that kind of thing and I know I'm really dragging this off topic but I quite liked the mini puzzles of rock climbing in far cry 4 I think it was. Something similar to that too but then with (similar to qwop) a limb per button/ input could be interesting. 

There was something in a game that I now completely can't remember which I'm sure had a climb mechanic a bit like that, where you had to pick where you putting your hands...

Anyway, flashback is great and I'm intrigued to see what happens with this sequel. 

• 1 year later...

I had completely forgotten this was in development, but there was apparently a trailer shown at Geoffstonbury Gamestival 2022:

What little footage of the game is hidden in there looks pretty underwhelming to be honest, as you'd probably expect from Microids, the lords of the underwhelm.

3 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

Grow Home?

I don't think that's what I was remembering in my head but yeah, that's got a similar sort of thing...

Either way, flashback 3/ fade to black 2 has potential but I can't help but worry it's just going to be a generic platformer with some shooting when it does show up. 

Someone let Eric chahi make another game, from dust was bloody great too. 

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, the PC / Mac version of Flashback is being given away for free by GOG as part of their summer sale:

https://www.gog.com/summer-sale-2022

The remaster is actually much better than I initially assumed it was. The UI is a mess, but you can choose between a red and white t-shirt, and you can mix and match between the "enhanced" visuals and sound, and the original look and feel. It's not a bad way to replay the game.

I picked the original up on the switch a while back, still need to give it a proper go - always end up getting lost on the first level!

I'm hopeful the sequel is decent, i think that remake left a bad taste in my mouth though for the francise.