Flashback 2 announced

simms

Microids has announced Flashback 2, a sequel to the 1992 science-fiction platformer for consoles and PC. It will launch in 2022. Specific consoles were not announced. 

I remember playing this all those year ago on either the megadrive or Super Nintendo and marvelled at the smooth animations of the sprites.  Reminded me of Mission Impossible on computers like the C64 and Spectrum, which is going back even further :blah:

My favourite game, but I don't think I really want this.  The remake really lacked the atmosphere and suspense of the original.  I think it would have been far better to have remained 2D, hand drawn and single screen.  Will at least be interested to see what approach they take with this.  It feels like a game that belongs in the past, though - it was heavily influenced by cinema of the time, and obviously games have come a long way since and the golden action hero days are long gone.

Will be interesting to see if they take any cues from more recent cinematic platformers or just stick to the blueprint of the original. Either way I think there's potential for something cool.

54 minutes ago, klargon said:

My favourite game, but I don't think I really want this.  The remake really lacked the atmosphere and suspense of the original.  I think it would have been far better to have remained 2D, hand drawn and single screen.  

The remake was, wasn't it?

Or was there a different remake to the Microids remake from a few years back?

Developed by VectorCell, released in 2013.  It was 3D modelled, but 2D movement.  It scrolled.  Manual shot aiming was unnecessary.  I presume the Microids release was that emulated original game release, rather than a remake of any kind.

Much of Flashback's original appeal was in it's rotoscoped graphics, which were groundbreaking at the time. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game in its own right and I've completed it many times, but I'm not sure what direct relevance the franchise has to a 2021 audience. 

15 minutes ago, klargon said:

Developed by VectorCell, released in 2013.  It was 3D modelled, but 2D movement.  It scrolled.  Manual shot aiming was unnecessary.  I presume the Microids release was that emulated original game release, rather than a remake of any kind.

Well, it had additional graphical options, and fixed some bugs from the original versions, so wasn’t straight emulation.

33 minutes ago, deKay said:

The remake was, wasn't it?

Or was there a different remake to the Microids remake from a few years back?

There was Flashback Legends on the GBA, which was never released - that was sprite-based. 

13 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

Much of Flashback's original appeal was in it's rotoscoped graphics, which were groundbreaking at the time. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game in its own right and I've completed it many times, but I'm not sure what direct relevance the franchise has to a 2021 audience. 

Why does it have to appeal to a 2021 audience? Plenty of us still playing games from back then.

7 hours ago, Darwock said:

Is this remake you are all talking about the one that you can buy on the PS store (listed just as ‘Flashback’)? That was on my wishlist, but not if it’s crap.

That's more of a slightly updated re-release (and therefore good). 

This is the remake:

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Why does it have to appeal to a 2021 audience? Plenty of us still playing games from back then.

Oh I was referring to us in that grouping as well. :) The only point I was making, was that a big part of Flashback's appeal was its groundbreaking graphics, to be relevant in 2021 it will have to have some fresh gameplay ideas or a similarly bold visual identity to be worthy of the Flashback name.

10 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I think if you made a game that looked like the original Flashback then that would be a bold visual identity. 

I don't think it's a style that's really been copied much?

A rotoscoped game in 2021 would indeed stand out, haha. Hey I'd be there for it. I think with late sequels like this, there are three likely outcomes. They could do a full nostalgia trip and basically recreate the look and style of the original and give us a similar play experience along the lines of Sonic Mania, which I think would be well received by us old school gamers. They could give us an updated experience with it's own identity such as the recent Streets Of Rage 4 or we could end up with a fairly generic 2.5D shooter which is basically a phoned in effort by all involved, which exists solely to trade off the name of a revered franchise.

I don't know much about Microids other than they seem to have done a lot of work on the Oddworld franchise and they've done a questionable job on a few franchises, such as Toki and Astrerix. Happy to give them the benefit of the doubt at this point but I do hope they're not just resurrecting the franchise for the sake of it.

I think you could do a pretty amazing Flashback sequel with modern technology - pixel art has come so far in the last decade or so that you could create something that had the same feel as the original, but wouldn't have been possible in 1993. Imagine a Flashback game done to the same standard as Huntdown, with a more modern structure - you could do much more with the aiming and controls on a PS4/Xbox pad than you could on an Amiga joystick / MD pad.

The original Flashback feels like they stuffed the first couple of levels full of story and NPCs and puzzles, and then ran out of time and money and had to take a minimalist approach to the rest. Something with modern pixel art visuals that properly fulfilled the promise of the original would be incredible. But then again, I'm not sure Microids are the people to do it justice. 

Incidentally, Lunark is a spiritual sequel to Flashback (although its not connected with any of the people behind the first game to my knowledge):

It looks... interesting. The visuals obviously pay a huge debt to Flashback, but I'm not sure about the super-blocky visuals - it looks lower-res than the original game. Although the animation is lovely.

19 minutes ago, K said:

Incidentally, Lunark is a spiritual sequel to Flashback (although its not connected with any of the people behind the first game to my knowledge):

It looks... interesting. The visuals obviously pay a huge debt to Flashback, but I'm not sure about the super-blocky visuals - it looks lower-res than the original game. Although the animation is lovely.

Yeah, good that you brought that one up as I have indeed backed it. A port to the Spectrum Next was a stretch goal, so that sealed the deal. :)

Flashcrap 

Really enjoyed the original, and completed it again a year or so ago. 

I heard a podcast recently which mentioned the term, ‘antici-pointment’:  getting yourself ready to be let down.  

I’ll be very happy if Flashback 2 delivers something good; a sympathetic update and quasi-homage, a bit like the recent Streets of Rage 

I love flashback like I loved it being a better version of rolling thunder/ prince of persia/ another world. 

I'd really want this to have a similar level of athletic/ acrobatic control as the original did to those. 

Unfortunately nowadays, the crouch-aim roll into another flick scroll screen and the jumping / hanging shenanigans is far too old hat.  As said though, I'm sure you could add a hell of a lot more control and aiming type stuff with a modem controller over a one or two button joystick. 

I just don't think they will somehow :(

21 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

I'm not sure we're a big enough market as a main target, I know I'd want to sell my games to as many as possible if I was a game producer. 

If this forum is anything to go by it's a nigh on impossible task to cater for us old farts who were in our teens in the 80s and 90s. 

No matter what the game is or how well it's received by critics and public, this forum will sure remind you that if something simply exist there's room for hate and critique. 

General ghist of game discussion on this forum:

Remaster: It's the same game only shinier. Fuck off, I'm not paying full price for that....again!

Remake: They've missed the core essence of what made the original so good, style over substance. And why have they crammed in extra levels, I've got LESS time to play now that I'm old. Fuck that shit!

Reimagening: It's not even close to the original. Instead of spending money on a lisence to lure in old fans they should've just made a brand new IP.

Generation Port: I already bought this exact game in 2001 AND 2009, no way am I buying it again! And no graphical upgrade? Lazy, greedy fuckers! Also, it looked better on CRT. 

New IP: This is nothing like the games I grew up with, it's far too sandboxy, far too busy and far too big. Why don't they make them like they used to?

New games in general: £70???? Fuck that! Now that I earn 10-100x more than I did in my teens I expect games to cost less. We don't even get a manual these days. 

Indie games: If I wanted to play games that looked like 80s or 90s games, I would just dust off my Amiga. Mobile games look better!

Mobile games: £7 for a mobile game? The controls suck and if I want to play a game I'll do that on my console or PC. Mobiles are for talking!

It really wasn't that good but fade to black has a really, really clever control setup with the (presumably long dead) ms sidewinder 3d flightstick. It was a surprisingly clever use of throttle, pitch and yaw etc in a 3d game. 

Not a patch on twin analogue etc these days but it was really something different way back then.