1899 - From the makers of Dark

JohnC

Enjoying this but finding the backgrounds a distraction. Is it just me or does everyone look like they are stood in front of a computer generated blurred background? I appreciate it's very clever and surely it's allowing production of this scale to be done on a TV budget but it looks plain weird.

Oh, this is really good. There’s a certain touch of magic in the way that only some of the characters are able to communicate with each other due to the multitude of languages being spoken. It adds an extra layer of mystique, on top of the fact that no one is who they say they are. 

Oh, this is really good. There’s a certain touch of magic in the way that only some of the characters are able to communicate with each other due to the multitude of languages being spoken. It adds an extra layer of mystique, on top of the fact that no one is who they say they are. 

We’ve watched two episodes so far - that cliffhanger at the end of episode two, though! :omg:

Big Lost vibes so far, but in a really good way. This show actually has the pedigree to pull off a complex mystery box that can resolve itself in a satisfying way. 

7 hours ago, jonamok said:

I’m already second screening 15 mins into episode 2. It’s some dull shit alright. And the epically irritating sound design isn’t helping.

Yeah, I'm afraid I've landed on 'this is drawn out shite' as a final verdict.

The sound design is one of the most enjoyable parts of it. ;)

The haunting, threatening sound of metal scraping against metal. Is something there, moving around in the dark? Is it just the industrial sound of a superliner? Or is the boat itself a malevolent force?

It’s brilliant!

5 hours ago, SuperFamiTom said:

I’ve watched 3 episodes and although I’ve enjoyed them I’ve got a feeling that it’s going no where and will have no closure or anything approaching a satisfactory ending. Would I be right?

Spoiler

Yep, basically.

• 2 weeks later...

Overall I'd say this was fine, but I did have some problems with it. The main actress whispering most of her dialogue got to the point that we had to switch on the subtitles, which really took away from some of the final episode with all the [Dramatic music plays] stuff you get with it. For some reason I hadn't realised its meant to be the first part of a series so ultimately it was all very unsatisfying as a result. I have faith that they know what they are doing from a plot point of view, but not convinced this was a strong enough opening to warrant a second series.

Spoiler

It had some interesting visuals with the pyramid and the guy wandering through the tunnel of wires, I liked the international characters angle too...but a tough one to recommend.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought Dark was a near masterpiece but this felt so, so obsessed with being a densely tangled mystery that it just bored me. Despite blitzing the entire series, I was ploughing through just for the sake of it and not because I was enjoying it.

It's sad because Dark was a wonderfully grounded world with a small portion of head-fuckery that was intricately woven in. It invited you to explore the implications and possibilities, teasing you with little revelations and new threads of intrigue. Most importantly, that ratio of 'head-fuckery' was just right. It gave you breathing space between revelations, with engaging character developments, to ruminate on what was behind everything. 1899, sadly, just flips that ratio completely. It's so obsessed with being a dense, complicated mystery that it's mentally exhausting and leaves the viewer stood on unsteady ground the entire time. There's no respite from the constant instruction to 'not get comfortable, because you know nothing, fool'.

It actually reminded me of Christopher Nolan's shift across his career. After becoming known for smart, intriguing plot concepts he's now obsessed with showing just how clever he can be, and it seems to distract him from the fundamental enjoyment in the film (IMHO). Tenet was a film that felt so smug in it's high-concept cleverness that it didn't care at all that I wasn't enjoying it's company - it just sat there for two and a half hours, smelling it's own farts and grinning at me from across the room.

Me and the other half both decided we wouldn't be bothering with the next series of 1899 as it just didn't entertain us. Well, it turns out nobody's watching the second series because it's been cancelled...

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/1899-canceled-season-two-netflix-1235477349/

Up to episode seven, and frankly I can't believe I'm still watching.

It's turgid nonsense full of characters who are at best forgettable and at worst utterly unlikable; the plot is sub JJ Abrams mystery box bullshit that depends on no one explaining what they know to anyone else and everyone acting as stupidly as possible.

And most of the acting is dreadful, the woman who plays Maura especially. Whispering constantly is no substitute for displaying emotion.