The Tomorrow War

JohnC

This trailer makes it look like Starship Troopers set in Earth with the walking in a line the open walking towards the aliens with awkward comedy added because Chris Pratt has to have a funny line somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Reviews are starting to come out and it appears this film might be good

Which would be a surprise because the trailer inspired no confidence at all.

Yeah I saw this a few weeks ago through work and was surprised at how good it was. It's not life changing and it borrows a lot of its good ideas but it does some clever stuff plot wise, the action's really good and Sam Richardson from Detroiters is in it so it's brilliant. 4/5 for me. 

13 hours ago, ryodi said:

Reviews are starting to come out and it appears this film might be good

Which would be a surprise because the trailer inspired no confidence at all.

2 stars in Empire, tho. 56% on RT. Looks worth a watch, though.

Having nearly reached the end, it's average but a decent watch. It pillages a lot of plot points from better films but does enough of its own thing. 

It's several magnitudes better than Army of the Dead if compared to another high budget streaming film of late

It’s enjoyable for this type of movie, but no edge of tomorrow.

Does not have any need to be 2 hours long though.

Spoiler

The length is annoying because a lot of the padding for trying to build up emotional stuff, which it’s pretty hard to be invested in when basically the world he wants to save is one where he comes back after most of the world has been wiped out and saves his daughter.

It’s full of general plot holes, some very inconsistent plot armour and the enemies abilities are inconsistent.  As is human survival- carpet bombing isn’t really what it used to be.

But all of this is somewhat standard in something like this.

The one I found most jarring, the world seemingly with no problem having governments banded together to implement a worldwide draft of cannon fodder to send into the future.  Seemingly within a day stopped giving a shit such that they wouldn’t even support a 10 man mission to make sure the future war would not happen.

Quite enjoyed that. A solid 3/5 type of film.

I'm glad it tried to explain potential plot holes, some of which I think have been discussed in this thread. Time travel movies must be a nightmare to write.

Bloody hell this was dreck, how the hell is it even getting lukewarm review, let alone good ones.

It's an aggressively stupid film and not in a dumb fun winking at the camera way like, say, Con Air. It makes your average J.J. Abrams look like a masterclass in tight plotting and logical developments.

It honestly feels like someone took a parody script and then went through it line by line removing all the jokes.

I think if I'd have watched it at the cinema with friends, back when that was a thing, the post film discussion would have been "alright I suppose" before getting some drinks and never mentioning again.

When they reached the science station

Spoiler

With the hanging bodies, I did wonder if the 'aliens' were in fact people from the past who'd been infected and turned into the White Spikes. They'd be sending people they knew became infected to fight their future selves.  

But no.

Jk Simmons ripped body though.  That's my arm goal for when I'm 66.

21 hours ago, jon_cybernet said:

It’s like Starship Troopers if you took all the satire and jokes out. 

Theres this point early on when 

Spoiler

he has the creepy thing put on his arm. The army seem like lying scumbags. His wife is like "fuck the draft, lets run". Then he goes to see his Dad whose JK F'n Simmons who is a cool Anti Government nutcase to take it off. At that point I thought this could be a crazy Verhoeven take on things, but no Pratt does the right thing and its pretty straight forward take on everything from then on. 

I did like some of the world building like the oil rig defense and the attack on it it though. The action was solid throughout tbh. I really liked when they and we all realised normal bullets don't do shit unless you shoot them close range in the neck. Just one of these things can be a nightmare to kill.

Fairly run of the mill and forgettable though in the end. 50% or 2.5 out of 5 is fair enough. Maybe a little more if your craving a half decent Hollywood action film.

It’s watchable and Pratt is decent enough in it (as is everyone, really) though the lead up to the end doesn’t make any logical sense. 

edit: having realised it as I was typing the spoilers, ‘the lead up to the end’ basically means the entire film.

Spoiler

So the people coming back are bringing bits of aliens with them and no one, like no one at all, thinks to study them at all aside from Chris Pratt and his mate and volcano kid who discover the truth. Nonsense. As soon as people got back they’d be checking that shit out straight away.

How come the future soldiers who turn up at the football game don’t fall out the sky. They just walk in, even though they specifically say that it drops you from a few feet.

Also if Chris Pratt’s only job was to take the toxin back and he had to be kept safe why did she take him along in a helicopter ride to a literal alien nest full of dangerous killer aliens.

Also, they sort of say “we don’t tell you what the aliens look like because no one would turn up like somehow only 20% of people returning wouldn’t be enough on its own. They don’t even tell them where the weak points are. The people in the future are bigger cunts than we are.

Also, I notice they had some sort of future machine gun that had no recoil and absurdly high magazines but surely if you send out a load of office workers and chefs and stuff untrained with high capacity assault rifles they’d end up shooting each other.

Speaking of which, the trained army personnel sent into the future all got killed, or at least only 20% came back. That’s the same percentage as all the untrained people.

They never explained why some people got to keep some clothes and not others, did they?

Chris Pratt seems to console himself that he stopped the future war from ever happening and saved his daughter but clearly with time paradoxes etc he just, at the best, split off a new reality from the old one as he’d never been able to save the future without it ever happening etc etc. His future daughter is still dead.

Also, his future daughter says they have a toxin that works on the males already. Not perfect but why weren’t they using that already? 

Also, why wasn’t the captured female alien kept in a soundproof room when they knew she could attract males?

Also, by the time the captured female was on the oil rig she was still fully awake so why couldn’t her army of alien friends hear her then. She was right in the open air!

None of this film make sense.

Absolute crap. 

Time travel at its absolute worst. Changing the past, changes the future! Is the first rule but no one seems to have thought about that in the script room. 

Total bollocks from start to finish.