The Tomorrow War

JohnC

https://deadline.com/video/the-tomorrow-war-first-trailer-chris-pratt-amazon-sci-fi/

Chris Pratt stars in an Amazon movie where time travellers arrive from 2051 saying, in their time, they're losing a war against aliens. So they want people to go back to the future with them to help try to win the war. So they recruit a high school teacher (!) played by Pratt. He teams up with a scientist (Yvonne Strahovski) and his estranged father (J.K. Simmons).

Out on 2 July

Teaser is fairly light on content.

A thread for rllmuk's resident time travel experts to pick holes in the reality of time travel <_<

The teaser was all action. Films like this rely upon a great alien design. They're 100% going to be CGI given that brief trailer was 98% CGI. 

I don't mind Chris Pratt but anything where he is the main lead is usually mediocre. 

I'll probably watch it.

This might be fun if they go all-out with the concept, and have ancient Egyptians and World War I tommies fighting aliens, like a cross between Edge of Tomorrow and Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. But the trailer doesn't really sell the idea.

40 minutes ago, K said:

This might be fun if they go all-out with the concept, and have ancient Egyptians and World War I tommies fighting aliens, like a cross between Edge of Tomorrow and Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. But the trailer doesn't really sell the idea.

Big Budget Deadliest Warrior!! I'd buy that for a dollar

On 29/04/2021 at 01:57, Garibaldi said:

I bet there’s some epic hand-waving to address time travellers not going back to a more pivotal time before the aliens arrive, as opposed to just getting fresh meat for the grinder. 

Immense power needed for time travel means they can only send people backwards and forwards a maximum of 30 years. Where's my cheque gift certificate, Amazon?

edit: just thought, you could hop backwards in 30 year increments once the time machine has powered up again. Okay, the time machine uses a special (time?) crystal which is so volatile, it can only be used once. You can only take two with you because of time travel health and safety regulations, one to go back, one to come back. If you take more than three special (time?) crystals, you run the risk of the special (time?) crystals blowing up and ripping a hole in the cloth of time and space and, ultimately, destroying the universe. Where's my gift certificate, Amazon?

edit 2: the film looks shit.

• 4 weeks later...

Dat script: “In 11 months time, all human beings in the future will be wiped from the face of the Earth.”

Sorry, who, when? :lol:

In for Richard Splett from Veep fighting aliens in the future.

Yeah looks like trash but trash I'm curious about.

Then again I said that about Army of the Dead and apparently that wasnt worth the time investment even as a trash-curiosity, so I guess we'll see what the early feedback is like on this.

Anyone else getting bored of that noise that aliens/monsters/dinosaurs make in the back of their throat when they’re sneaking around? You hear it at the end of this trailer. I wish they’d do something different.

15 hours ago, JohnC said:

Two things:

1. "In 11 months time, all human beings in the future will be wiped from the face of the earth". They really think their audience is fucking stupid writing lines like that. They may as well have gone, "In 11 months time, all human beings in the future will be wiped from the face of the earth in the future"

2. The actress playing his wife 00:27 is fucking horrifically thin to the point of looking emaciated and unwell. 

On 27/05/2021 at 10:56, Festoon said:

2. The actress playing his wife 00:27 is fucking horrifically thin to the point of looking emaciated and unwell. 

It’s Betty Gilpin from GLOW and more recently, The Hunt. She’s definitely not thin. I think she kinda has one of those lean looking faces.

I don't get this whole set up. Send people from the present into the future to help fight a war? Why not keep those people in the present and train/prepare for the war? How about using this time machine capability to keep sending back updated reports about how the fight is progressing, enemy weakness, and the timing of attacks? Doesn't sending people from the present into the future thin out the number of people who will be alive later to actually begin the fight against these aliens?

2 hours ago, Headache said:

I don't get this whole set up. Send people from the present into the future to help fight a war? Why not keep those people in the present and train/prepare for the war? How about using this time machine capability to keep sending back updated reports about how the fight is progressing, enemy weakness, and the timing of attacks? Doesn't sending people from the present into the future thin out the number of people who will be alive later to actually begin the fight against these aliens?

Complete conjecture: causality forked when the time travelers arrived. Our future is now safe as we can trivially avoid the invasion thanks to the advance warning, but that still leaves the traveler's reality needing help. People are getting drafted into that fight on the basis of humanitarian concerns (future humans are still human right?) and maybe a convenient lie that we're still on the same timeline, but really it's about harvesting sweet alien technology for Weyland-Yutani.

1 hour ago, ryanm said:

Complete conjecture: causality forked when the time travelers arrived. Our future is now safe as we can trivially avoid the invasion thanks to the advance warning, but that still leaves the traveler's reality needing help. People are getting drafted into that fight on the basis of humanitarian concerns (future humans are still human right?) and maybe a convenient lie that we're still on the same timeline, but really it's about harvesting sweet alien technology for Weyland-Yutani.

That would actually be a good plot but no way this script looks clever enough to have that figured out.

It could be dumb enjoyment, I'm not expecting anything too clever. Normal family man gets drafted into a future war. Let's just hope they've at least put enough in there to back up the premise.

On 27/05/2021 at 07:52, Monkeyboy said:

Anyone else getting bored of that noise that aliens/monsters/dinosaurs make in the back of their throat when they’re sneaking around? You hear it at the end of this trailer. I wish they’d do something different.

Every alien now sounds like a crocodile pitch-shifted down. They could have some sort of gas-escaping noise, or a scales-rattling noise, it doesn't take much imagination. By all accounts this film trades that for spectacle, and as long as it is entertaining I'm happy with that. 

18 hours ago, Pob said:

That would actually be a good plot but no way this script looks clever enough to have that figured out.

I’ve started thinking a lot about a film with the plot that @ryanm describes! It’s a bit like Avengers Endgame in that you can’t change your present by going back to the past, but you can go back and get stuff (infinity stones, soldiers). Maybe that’s where they got the idea for this. 

The theme could be about what would you be willing to fight for. You’d die for your kids but would you die for an alternate, older version of your kids in a future you won’t experience? 

William Gibson's Peripheral explores some stuff in this area. In that the time travel is purely data rather than physical (telepresence thus plays a part) but you still get the interesting moral question of how separate timelines treat each other.

Spoiler

E.g.: one future-naut makes a business of creating alternate timelines, destroying their economic and political systems, letting them marinate in apocalyptic chaos, then extracting whatever interesting weapon technology the terrified inhabitants can come up with.

On 01/06/2021 at 19:16, Pob said:

I’ve started thinking a lot about a film with the plot that @ryanm describes! It’s a bit like Avengers Endgame in that you can’t change your present by going back to the past, but you can go back and get stuff (infinity stones, soldiers). Maybe that’s where they got the idea for this. 

The theme could be about what would you be willing to fight for. You’d die for your kids but would you die for an alternate, older version of your kids in a future you won’t experience? 

I will buy your movie, sir.