New console owners - any regrets?

Any regrets?  

211 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

PS5 here. Absolutely love it. Load times are practically a thing of the past. Demon’s Souls was incredible as were Astroboy and Miles. The DualSense is also a great controller although the battery life isn’t wowing me.

I’m now playing FFXIV on my living room TV from the comfort of my sofa with practically no load times. Marvellous! 

I’m such a sucker for new gadgets that I was always going to be a day one purchase anyway so NO RAGRETS!

PS5 owner since December.

I sold my PS4 Pro for £270 in June 2020 in anticipation so for a £180 upgrade fee I couldn't be happier.

Other than Demon Souls/Astro Bot/Spider-Man MM I've been playing PS4 or earlier games (completed Dark Souls Remastered, 13 Sentinels and Shenmue 1 + 2) but I'm happy to be future proofed and I'm excited for Returnal and RE8 and all the rest. The only disappointment was Spider-Man which was technically impressive but reminded me why I don't bother with those open world sandbox type games.

Well I was going to upgrade my PC last year around console release time but had trouble getting the parts. Luckily I got a Xbox Series X instead.

So effectively saved me a ton of money upgrading the PC and more than happy with the Xbox.

Xbox Series X and GPU as a package is working really well for me. One thing I have noticed is although my PC is getting on a bit it seems to handle most of the GPU games really well too so getting additional benefit there - some games are better with a mouse. Also EA Play as part of GPU is great.

As for lack of exclusives in terms of new games that exploit the new hardware - can't say I've really missed them. Most of the time they are sub par anyway - or delayed. Remember back in the previous gen I bought a PS4 nearly at launch and was mostly playing Resogun and Killzone : Shadowfall for a while. It was a very lean launch line-up as I remember it. Wasn't that impressed with Killzone anyway - Resogun was great but hardly a next gen game pushing the hardware that much. Great game though.

So at least with the Series X I can play pretty much all my existing games - sometimes at better quality and play a ton of games that are new to me via GPU. Not really fussed if they are "next gen" games or not. They are new to me and I'm enjoying them. I know things will eventually come that won't be possible on the older Xboxes but really doesn't bother me. Fast loading, quality hardware and a fantastic game service win for me.

I much, much prefer the situation this time round of having some recent classics and still-new games boosted in fidelity and load-times, PC-style, thanks to proper backwards compatibility, than lacklustre new-gen exclusives parped out to meet the release date but soon traded in.

I assumed that MS would do a good job on supporting older games but I'm impressed with Sony's efforts too. Playing through the second half of Days Gone at 60fps has been my favourite experience this gen so far, closely followed by a complete replay of Dishonored 1 at 60 on Series X.

The Series X will definitely continue to be my main console though - MS Rewards, the Elite pad, Quick Resume, general loading speed and quietness all make it the best option in my opinion.

I bought a Series X expecting to get a better Xbox and thats what I ended up with. I am a little surprised by how much more enjoyable it is to use compared to my One X and its certainly my most played console since I got it. Its just a nicer machine to play games on. Hopefully when I'm able to get a PS5 it'll be a similar experience. 

Another one here loving his Series X. Now the Xbox UI runs at a tasty clip instead of dogshit slow it's very pleasant to use and I've been getting a lot out of the console.

While not a fan of a lot of Sony's design choices this time around I'd still like a PS5. That's proving somewhat tricky though.

1 hour ago, Pob said:

I much, much prefer the situation this time round of having some recent classics and still-new games boosted in fidelity and load-times, PC-style, thanks to proper backwards compatibility, than lacklustre new-gen exclusives parped out to meet the release date but soon traded in.

I assumed that MS would do a good job on supporting older games but I'm impressed with Sony's efforts too. Playing through the second half of Days Gone at 60fps has been my favourite experience this gen so far, closely followed by a complete replay of Dishonored 1 at 60 on Series X.

The Series X will definitely continue to be my main console though - MS Rewards, the Elite pad, Quick Resume, general loading speed and quietness all make it the best option in my opinion.

What’s the difference in load times like between Series X and PS5 then? I know the super fast drive was touted as a big thing by Sony, but does Quick Resume negate that? Is in-game loading quicker on the PS5?

Just now, JPL said:

What’s the difference in load times like between Series X and PS5 then? I know the super fast drive was touted as a big thing by Sony, but does Quick Resume negate that? Is in-game loading quicker on the PS5?

Depends on the game and the developer I'd expect. I think we'll probably need to hold off on a verdict on that until there are more multiplatform next gen games out. I'd expect someone like DF will investigate at some point.

Just now, Flub said:

Depends on the game and the developer I'd expect. I think we'll probably need to hold off on a verdict on that until there are more multiplatform next gen games out. I'd expect someone like DF will investigate at some point.

Makes sense. I can’t really see there being much in it, but it’s great they’ve both gone with these fast drives. It definitely makes using the console a much better experience.

8 minutes ago, Flub said:

Another one here loving his Series X. Now the Xbox UI runs at a tasty clip instead of dogshit slow it's very pleasant to use and I've been getting a lot out of the console.

While not a fan of a lot of Sony's design choices this time around I'd still like a PS5. That's proving somewhat tricky though.

If MS hadn't released the new store last summer and instead held it back for the Series S/X then they'd probably have gotten a lot more praise over "fixing" their OS for the new consoles. Putting the new store app on the old consoles as well was definitely the right decision though. 

On 24/04/2021 at 20:59, Boozy The Clown said:

I was sorely disappointed with the Series X at launch due to the games lineup. The hardware however has grown on me. Quick Resume is a godsend between the 3 or 4 games I actually play regularly. They're all last gen games and will be for a while. The updates and improvements to existing games is a big bonus. In hindsight I'm really glad I got it due to the difficulty with supply and scalping since launch. It's just weird to start a new gen with little to nothing actually new gen about in terms of games. They are coming but I reckon we're actually years away from seeing what the box was designed to do.

I agree with you. As someone fortunate enough to have both a Series X and PS5, the former is a fantastic system with lots of great, new ideas about how to play games (quick resume, game pass, Smart Delivery), but not much in the way of games. On the other hand the PS5 is a steady as she goes proposition with a really exciting next gen games lineup. 

Even the controllers couldn’t be more different, albeit roles reversed. 

Im very satisfied with both. Under the circumstances they’ve launched, it’s a very impressive start to the new generation. 

37 minutes ago, JPL said:

Makes sense. I can’t really see there being much in it, but it’s great they’ve both gone with these fast drives. It definitely makes using the console a much better experience.

Agreed. Faster loading and much improved CPUs are just what the consoles needed. Looking back at last gen I had a much better time on my PC. However at the moment I'm far more inclined to get games on my SX than PC (Assuming they're decent quality) just because PC ports are generally a bit of a crap shoot. 

With all the COVID stuff going on I feel so, so, so grateful to have my new consoles. It felt reckless to get and X and a 5, and madness to pick up an S for upstairs (to escape the childcare cacophony - and emulation, eventually), but I don’t think anything has done more for my mental health during all of this than spending that grand on those toys.  

I know that’s kinda tragic, but with so many avenues of relaxation taken from me, it has been brilliant and needed. 

Which makes me feel guilty that so many are still hunting for them. 

3 hours ago, Flub said:

In general ps5 seems to be faster by about half a second on some loading comparisons I've seen. No big deal really and nothing seems to be built around it yet.