How do you feel about £70 for a game?

26 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

I’ll be genuinely interested to see what people make of Halo Infinite @ £60 (yes I know it’ll be on GP but we all know that argument and you can’t ignore that it’s also for sale). 

I mean, that’s certainly an argument. It’s only one that appeals to steam nutters though, since the cost of entry to halo single player is at most £10.99 for a month (multiplayer being free) if you, like 99% of the likely playerbase, follow the marketing and just buy a one month gamepass sub.

the primary and easiest way to play halo is via a subscription. The primary and easiest way to play returnal is to spend some large proportion of £70 on a physical or digital copy.

I’m reasonably confident it won’t be significantly worse than any other ten games retailing at £60 though.

15 minutes ago, Harsin said:

It's not 100% clear what you're actuallya arguing, but it appears you're essentially arguing that publishers should charge on a case by case basis according to how 'good' individual games are. This is completely unworkable. What metric are you going to use for that to start with? Metacritic? Should God Hand have been given away for next to nothing because IGN didn't like it. That's ignoring the obvious point that you don't know how the public will react to a game before it's out.

Wow, that’s quite a leap from my post. I’m simply wondering how two games priced £10 apart will be perceived in the future. But you can’t ignore the fact that if Returnal had been absolute garbage then it wouldn’t have been as good value for money (Destruction All Stars - but at least they had the sense to back away from that).

And sure MS could take the opportunity to go aggressive on pricing and charge £39.99 or lower for Halo but that’s probably not in their interest as it will devalue GamePass.

I’m also interested to see the impact GamePass has on the sales of Halo, presumably a fairly significant one.

7 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

I’m also interested to see the impact GamePass has on the sales of Halo, presumably a fairly significant one.

Well, anyone who's got gamepass won't be buying it, but I can imagine a lot more people will try it than if it was only available to buy.

12 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Wow, that’s quite a leap from my post. I’m simply wondering how two games priced £10 apart will be perceived in the future. But you can’t ignore the fact that if Returnal had been absolute garbage then it wouldn’t have been as good value for money (Destruction All Stars - but at least they had the sense to back away from that).

And sure MS could take the opportunity to go aggressive on pricing and charge £39.99 or lower for Halo but that’s probably not in their interest as it will devalue GamePass.

I think it’s fair to say that it doesn’t matter how Halo is priced (or how many it sells) when Microsoft’s entire strategy is now Game Pass. Obviously if they price it ridiculously high it will make some noise, but otherwise it’s of little importance. 

Put it this way, you’ll be able to play Halo Infinite day one for £10.99, you won’t even need a console. 

13 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

I'm still not certain what the actual point of what you're arguing is. That's not me being sarcastic, I'm honestly not really grasping what you're going for here. If it is purely how will we people look back on two individual unrelated games that were released at different pricepoints, then I'd say that's completley meaningless and wouldn't mean much at all. If we look back on Super Mario World vs Shaq-Fu, nobody would even think to mention the price or even remember how much they cost.

26 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

God, I can't wait until this game gets past the initial launch window and the collective forum shitting of pants that a platform holder released a challenging game for a high price eases off and we can just get back to normal.

If only there was a way of gathering such a discussion in one place so it can be ignored if you choose ;)

1 minute ago, Harsin said:

I think the point is people don't want £70 a game to be the normal.

Exactly this, it’s the same in the sales thread when something doesn’t do well and people get upset over it. 

16 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

God, I can't wait until this game gets past the initial launch window and the collective forum shitting of pants that a platform holder released a challenging game for a high price eases off and we can just get back to normal.

Perhaps we should have this conversation in the returnal thread? Would you find that more annoying?

How much do Microsoft make out of a months GP subscription?  How much would they make on a Halo sale?  Seems to me that if Halo sells zero copies because Microsoft have sold all those customers a Gamepass subscription instead, they'll be laughing all the way to the bank. 

49 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Also halo has multiplayer mode which is proven as epic so would actually be more justifiable at 60 quid

lol you’ve got to laugh.

14 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

lol you’ve got to laugh.

Not really. People played halo 2 for years and years. Returnal will be gathering dust on shelves in two weeks.

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

How much do Microsoft make out of a months GP subscription?  How much would they make on a Halo sale?  Seems to me that if Halo sells zero copies because Microsoft have sold all those customers a Gamepass subscription instead, they'll be laughing all the way to the bank. 

I think we’ll start seeing Microsoft going all-in on GamePass this gen, with games launching as GamePass exclusives for the first 6-12 months in a few years. Some titles will probably only ever be GamePass exclusives I reckon.

Microsoft’s got to be considering shifting towards the sort of, Disney+, people will pay us £150 a year forever model, because that’s immensely profitable, people buying things outright is anathema to all their other software offerings and I don’t see games staying an exception. Software ownership is really on the way out.

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

Because movies have secondary and even tertiary markets - cinema, retail, streaming, TV syndication, etc. 

So do games now.

Physical, digital and now subscriptions.

Just this week in a thread about a podcast about C64 games I've been able to tell people where they can buy right now ports of The Castle of Dr Creep and Karateka, both 35 year old games. The long tail is there if the market wants to take advantage of it. Heck, it's a cornerstone of Microsoft's backwards compatibility on their new console. Can play old games, can sell old games, can rent old games. There are secondary and tertiary markets in gaming now.

18 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

I think we’ll start seeing Microsoft going all-in on GamePass this gen, with games launching as GamePass exclusives for the first 6-12 months in a few years. Some titles will probably only ever be GamePass exclusives I reckon.

Microsoft’s got to be considering shifting towards the sort of, Disney+, people will pay us £150 a year forever model, because that’s immensely profitable, people buying things outright is anathema to all their other software offerings and I don’t see games staying an exception. Software ownership is really on the way out.

Agreed. Depending on how well MS do with GamePass going forward I can see Sony following suit at some point. Even though they are saying that the model won't work for big budget games. It will because continuous incoming revenue is much more valuable that one hit sales with a limited profit from each item sold - and then loosing some potential revenue when games get sold on second hand for physical releases.

I expect Sony will perhaps release games and then move them onto a service at some point after the initial release - or have a higher tier sub model like EA does for its play service.

Anyhow its interesting times for gaming and how games will be consumed going forward. Personally I'd love a sub model for Sony/MS that works pan devices. Means I don't have to buy lots of hardware to play the various games.

2 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

I'd say that the people most actively promoting Returnal's demise are Sony by sacrificing it to their pricing experiment!

It's Sony's attempt to make £70 the new RRP that I want to fail.  Returnal is unfortunately collateral damage.

I don’t think Returnal will make a blind bit of difference to that, I doubt Sony ever thought it would be a huge seller on release but to perhaps have long legs, I’ll certainly buy it relatively soon if it drops a little. If something like GT7 bombs then Sony will definitely take notice but what are the chances of that. I guess Ratchet & Clank is next up, although I don’t know if that’s been a big seller previously, I’ll consider it in or around £40- £50.

As many have said just buy in at the price that suits you, market forces will dictate. Perhaps that means waiting a little longer for a game than previously. In a few years Sony may reevaluate if the higher price has led to decreased profits or when the PS5 has sold more but I doubt there will be any knee jerk reaction.

2 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

So do games now.

Physical, digital, digital sales, season passesmicrotransactions, and now subscriptions. Then loss leader freebie giveaways for new digital stores.

They’re making the movie theatre, dvd release, pay movie channel, free to air channel/syndication model look positively outdated.

1 hour ago, StumpyJohn said:

I'd say that the people most actively promoting Returnal's demise are Sony by sacrificing it to their pricing experiment!

It's Sony's attempt to make £70 the new RRP that I want to fail.  Returnal is unfortunately collateral damage.

Games that are released every year with incremental upgrades, such as FIFA, already cost £59.99 digital and have an RRP of £55 for a physical copy on the last gen machines. They sell like hotcakes. 

The reality is that, many people on here moaning about Sony’s £70 RRP for next gen AAA games, don’t even own a PS5 and have zero interest in buying/playing AAA PS5 games. They’re sweaty Xbox fanboys that want a video game to sell poorly because its on a different lump of plastic to the one they own. Well odd! 

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

I think it’s fair to say that it doesn’t matter how Halo is priced (or how many it sells) when Microsoft’s entire strategy is now Game Pass. Obviously if they price it ridiculously high it will make some noise, but otherwise it’s of little importance. 

Put it this way, you’ll be able to play Halo Infinite day one for £10.99, you won’t even need a console. 

Yeah, you’ll be able to RENT Halo Infinite for £10.99 per month. And you’ll have to keep paying £10.99 per month for as long as you want to keep playing it. Or you could just buy it, own it, and play it at your leisure, for as long as you want, for years to come, for a single payment! 

The average attach rate for Xbox One was apparently 6 games. Probably AAA games like FIFA, RDR2, Halo etc

6 X £55 = £330 to own the games indefinitely and to also have the option of selling them on, if you’ve bought physical copies.

To rent those games via Gamepass at £10.99 for 1 gen, would cost £1055, and you would end up owning nothing after spending that amount. To keep playing, you have to keep paying!

There’s why Microsoft want people to sign up to a subscription service. It’s even more of a cash grab than AAA £70 RRP titles. Whichever model grabs the most cash, they’ll all be in on it soon enough!

2 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

Yes, the main aspect that grates with me is that Sony are simply trying to say, entirely arbitrarily, "games are all now X more expensive".

It can't really be justified by inflation: inflation isn't a step change and if they want to operate on that basis then they should just increase RRP by £1 or so every couple of years over the course of the generation, which no one would really bat an eye at.

I don't think it can be justified by development budgets either: there clearly isn't any explosion in costs between PS4 Pro and PS5, and if anything these cost increases between generations are disappearing now. I certainly don't think it's the case that either Demon Souls or Returnal have budgets even approaching some of the previous generation's bigger titles. Arguably this is also, like inflation, something that increases over the course of the generation as titles get more ambitious and developers get to grips with the hardware. So maybe add £2 every couple of years instead.

Sony are just basically going with the Henry Hill "fuck you, pay me" approach, gesturing vaguely at the shiny new graphics and haptic feedback and assuming their current market dominance will carry them through. They're clearly trying to push the accepted, standard price point as high as the market will bear, and I don't really like being on the receiving end of a thorough and very blatant gouging, personally.

6 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Games that are released every year with incremental upgrades, such as FIFA, already cost £59.99 digital and have an RRP of £55 for a physical copy on the last gen machines. They sell like hotcakes. 

So not at £70 then, thanks for confirming that! 

6 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

The reality is that, many people on here moaning about Sony’s £70 RRP for next gen AAA games, don’t even own a PS5 and have zero interest in buying/playing AAA PS5 games. They’re sweaty Xbox fanboys that want a video game to sell poorly because its on a different lump of plastic to the one they own. Well odd! 

This is just a load of shit and at most applies to 1 or 2 people in this thread

I don't have a PS5 (or a Series X ), but have all the previous PlayStations including VR and the portables.  I'll get a PS5 when it has 2 or 3 exclusives that I'm really interested in, the next Horizon game is probably the first that falls into that category.  If they are £70 then that interest has just gone down.

12 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Yeah, you’ll be able to RENT Halo Infinite for £10.99 per month. And you’ll have to keep paying £10.99 per month for as long as you want to keep playing it. Or you could just buy it, own it, and play it at your leisure, for as long as you want, for years to come, for a single payment! 

The average attach rate for Xbox One was apparently 6 games. Probably AAA games like FIFA, RDR2, Halo etc

6 X £55 = £330 to own the games indefinitely and to also have the option of selling them on, if you’ve bought physical copies.

To rent those games via Gamepass at £10.99 for 1 gen, would cost £1055, and you would end up owning nothing after spending that amount. To keep playing, you have to keep paying!

There’s why Microsoft want people to sign up to a subscription service. It’s even more of a cash grab than AAA £70 RRP titles. Whichever model grabs the most cash, they’ll all be in on it soon enough!

Well we’re all different aren’t we, personally I find Game Pass to be exceptional value, but maybe it’s not for you, that’s fine, and of course you can purchase the games outright if you prefer. 

A word of advice though, I think you’re way too quick to judge people. Most people here like a good old debate, no one wants Returnal to fail or see Housemarque go under, but they won’t shy away from criticism where it’s due either. Wind your neck in a bit ;)

21 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

So not at £70 then, thanks for confirming that! 

This is just a load of shit and at most applies to 1 or 2 people in this thread

I don't have a PS5 (or a Series X ), but have all the previous PlayStations including VR and the portables.  I'll get a PS5 when it has 2 or 3 exclusives that I'm really interested in, the next Horizon game is probably the first that falls into that category.  If they are £70 then that interest has just gone down.

If you read my post it says MANY people on here not all.

People are saying Returnal is shit.....yet they haven’t played it. People are saying its failed to sell and is doomed.......despite it being brand new IP, that’s a difficult and uncompromising hardcore game, that at its core has arcade bullet hell shooter heritage, hasn’t been stocked by supermarkets,, has sold out on Amazon, during a period of time when it’s hard to get a PS5 to play it on.........yet it’s No.2 in the charts, which don’t even include digital sales!  It’s clearly done well considering all that. It’s hardly going to come out and shift the units of something like Miles Morales.

These people are also saying Demon’s Souls, Returnal etc are not worth £70.......yet they haven’t actually played them and so can’t judge the jump in quality from other games. And there is a jump, even over other PS5 games. I know, because I own them and have played them a lot! At the end of the day it’s a £10 price rise. If people can’t afford that then it sucks. But that’s life, there’s lots of stuff people can’t afford, so they just wait for sales or buy 2nd hand. 

14 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Well we’re all different aren’t we, personally I find Game Pass to be exceptional value, but maybe it’s not for you, that’s fine, and of course you can purchase the games outright if you prefer. 

A word of advice though, I think you’re way too quick to judge people. Most people here like a good old debate, no one wants Returnal to fail or see Housemarque go under, but they won’t shy away from criticism where it’s due either. Wind your neck in a bit ;)

Jog on into the sunset youth! Lol.

Show me a single quote where somebody has said Returnal is shit?

There are none because they only exist in your mind. The only thing which is shit is the £70 RRP and I believe that is the point most posters on here are trying to get across.