How do you feel about £70 for a game?

1 minute ago, CrichStand said:

I’m not defending games costing £70!

2 hours ago, CrichStand said:

Think the whole £70 for a game thing is being totally overblown.

For one, I own many PS5 games and they all cost me around £30-£40 on launch or were free! Of the 3 games that were priced £70 (Demon’s Souls, Miles Morales Ultimate, Returnal) I paid £55 for the digital versions on launch day (Miles Morales a couple of weeks later). All 3 of those games feel like a BIG jump in quality over everything else. They feel like they are worth the asking price.

I think Sony have made a very clever and shrewd move. Anyone willing to pay £70.......will pay £70 and get a very high quality AAA game, that had AAA development costs. Those wanting to pay less can buy digital, using cheap top up cards which are always available. Those still not willing to pay around £55, which is only £5 more than full price “last gen” games, can just wait for a deal/sale or the games to hit PS Plus and PS Now, at which point it feels like they’re getting even better value for money from their subs. 

The reality is most “mainstream” gamers these days just play Fornite, COD, FIFA, free to play games etc. They’re not going to be remotely interested in a brand new IP and a quirky, hardcore, arcade style, sci-if space shooter priced at £70...even though it’s fucking immense! If it hasn’t sold too well then it’s not exactly surprising. Titles like this need supporting.......else we’re going to end up with lowest common denominator subscription services, supplying 1000s of bland samey titles for Mr Dave Average, who just wants to play the same old poorly thrown together shite over and over for £7.99pm.

:sherlock:

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

This thread is hilarious. The people trying to justify 70 quid for a bang average game is pretty entertaining. I wish that shit racing game had launched at 70 quid imagine the thread. 

' I think it's almost as good as gran turismo ' ' the atmosphere in the tracks is so good im so happy to support these devs' ' GOTY I have already put twenty hours in'

Well I'll be getting my money's worth out of it, it's the first game I've bought for my PS5 since launch and I'm not too fussed about R&C. It's far from 'bang average'.

Problem?

Edit - Returnal cost me £60.

32 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

You can buy them for £55 on launch! That’s only £5-£10 more than a “last gen” game that was of a significantly lower quality. 

Please explain how The Last of Us 2 or Red Dead Redemption 2 or God of War are of a 'significantly lower quality' than Demon's Souls or Returnal. Or how Spiderman is of a significantly lower quality than Miles Morales. 

20 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’ve no idea why you’re supposedly talking about Netflix, etc when there’s an actual games subscription service that’s going great guns. It’s called Gamepass!

The rest of your post is just personal preference and in no way reflects what Gamepass actually is.

I bet it heads that way though. When your data says nobody completes anything and in fact barely play it why bother? Netflix initially wasn't full of shite either.

I know people here have a thing for GamePass but there's room for other models. £70 is a joke mind.

Also they literally haven't released a single exclusive next gen game for GamePass bar the Medium which was shite. Not one. It also doesn't look much is coming.

Haven't played Returnal but it appeals to me more than the entirety of GamePass. Don't have or want a PS5 though.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

I know people here have a thing for GamePass but there's room for other models. £70 is a joke mind.

I never said there wasn't. I was just replying to CrichStand about his ridiculous 'subscription model that isn't gamepass, honest guv' comment.

6 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

It also doesn't look much is coming.

What makes you think that? There should be 3 or 4 big hitters this year, then I can see a nice steady stream going forwards. They didn't buy up ZeniMax for nothing, you know!

Edited by JPL
4 minutes ago, Majora said:

Please explain how The Last of Us 2 or Red Dead Redemption 2 or God of War are of a 'significantly lower quality' than Demon's Souls or Returnal. Or how Spiderman is of a significantly lower quality than Miles Morales. 

It's like something Mr Dave Average would say. Last gen CoD is obviously of a significantly lower quality than the new one! :seanr:

20 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

I’m not defending games costing £70!  Obviously, I would prefer it if they all cost £20........but they don’t, and it’s not realistic to expect them to be priced that way.

You want premium quality games........then you pay premium quality prices! It’s not rocket science! I wouldn’t expect to buy a Custom Shop Strat for the price of a Mexican made model! 

It’s not realistic for them to charge £70 either is it? Otherwise it might have sold better. 

There are plenty of “premium quality” games that don’t cost £70, in fact no games cost that before Sony decided to slap a sticker on it, are their games so much better they’re worth 20-30 quid more than the competition? I don’t think so. 

And yes we know you don’t always have to pay full RRP even at launch if you shop around, but that goes for games on all platforms it doesn’t make the £70 RRP any less eye watering. 

6 minutes ago, therearerules said:

:sherlock:

You’ve obviously misplaced your Thesaurus! 

Saying that I think the £70 games debate is being overblown.........saying you could buy most PS5 games for £30-£40 at launch........saying you can buy £70 RRP AAA PS5 games at launch for £55........saying that Sony are being shrewd with their business practices...........nine of those statements are defending anything. They’re just very clear statements as to why this whole issue is being blown out of proportion. 

Don’t want to pay £70? Then don’t! Pay £55 or wait for a sale. Or just get a Series X/S with Gamepass and stop fucking moaning! Lol.

4 minutes ago, JPL said:

I never said there wasn't. I was just replying to CrichStand about his ridiculous 'subscription model that isn't gamepass, honest guv' comment.

What makes you think that? There should be 3 or 4 big hitters this year, then I can see a nice steady stream going forwards. They didn't buy up ZeniMax for nothing, you know!

They've bought other people before and nowt much has come of it.

They essentially have Forza, Forza Mildly Different, Generic Space Marine and Generic Chunky Space Marine. Most other first party stuff recently has been average to poor.

14 minutes ago, Lyrical Donut said:

Edit - Returnal cost me £60.

Sucker. You clearly didn’t spend enough time looking for deals.

Just now, El Spatula said:

They've bought other people before and nowt much has come of it.

They essentially have Forza, Forza Mildly Different, Generic Space Marine and Generic Chunky Space Marine. Most other first party stuff recently has been average to poor.

Ok. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, footle said:

Sucker. You clearly didn’t spend enough time looking for deals.

I got it for £29.99 by funnelling money through the Camen Isles, I didn’t pay tax either, suckersss. 

23 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

What I mean by Mr Dave Average are most of the guys at work......

Dave Average: COD is fucking mint man! You on it?

Me: Nah. I’m playing Rez again.

DA: RAZ? Sounds shit! Wtf is that? 
Me: Sega game. One of my favs.

DA: What’s a SAGA game? Sounds shit!

Me: SEGA. Ya know....Dreamcast?!?!?

DA: Dreamwhat? Sounds shit! 
Me: It’s a console like the PS, Xbox.......Megadrive??? Rez is an on rails shooter with banging music, shit hot visuals.

DA: Megawhat? Sounds fucking shit! On rails shooter!?!?! Lol. Sounds well shit! You should play a proper game like COD. You on FIFA?

Me: Nah, man. I play Pro Evo.

DA. HAHAHAHAHA. You fucking plant pot!

OK. But personally think the £70 RRP is mostly aimed at exactly this type of gamer perhaps? FIFA/CoD etc? Most of the more interesting games will be at lower tier price as it's less of a risk to develop them. All the games you mentioned Rez etc would now never get a AAA release because the concepts would be too risky.

I expect at some point most of the popular games like this will move onto GaaS model anyway. Lots of money to be made by digital currency in their ecosystems like Fortnite etc.

It will be interesting to see how Sony do at this price point for premium/high development cost games going forward. As pretty as say The Last Of Us 2 was for example the game itself was fairly basic in terms of gameplay in my opinion of course. Guess I'm not the target demographic for such games these days anyway. Find the gratuitous violence in some games distasteful. 

7 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

Well what hasn't? Bar Gears Tactics?

Come on dude, you said...

10 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

They essentially have Forza, Forza Mildly Different, Generic Space Marine and Generic Chunky Space Marine.

Which might have been roughly true last gen, but absolutely isn't going to be the case this gen. So, they don't essentially only have those titles. I'm still working, so I can't be arsed checking, but go and look up what's coming for xbox. You'll be surprised if you think it's only Forza, Halo and Gears.

It’s a moot point anyway if you can pick it up for £60 or even £55 quid as it has always been possible to buy for less than RRP.  

If the RRP had been £50 you would have been paying £35-£40 quid for the game and not £60.:coffee:

15 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It’s not realistic for them to charge £70 either is it? Otherwise it might have sold better. 

There are plenty of “premium quality” games that don’t cost £70, in fact no games cost that before Sony decided to slap a sticker on it, are their games so much better they’re worth 20-30 quid more than the competition? I don’t think so. 

And yes we know you don’t always have to pay full RRP even at launch if you shop around, but that goes for games on all platforms it doesn’t make the £70 RRP any less eye watering. 

I’ve literally already answered the points you are making multiple times! You just keep ignoring them.

To summarise.....

Imo Returnal would struggle even at £20. It’s new IP, from a quality developer but, one that makes arcade style games that through their own admission have struggled to sell. It’s AAA and pure quality through and through......but it’s also difficult, uncompromising and clearly aimed at a “hardcore” demographic. It’s an old school arcade/action bullet hell shooter, mixed with Dark Souls, Quake/Doom, Metroid, Silent Hill/P.T and it’s weird and quirky as all fuck! It’s absolutely brilliant but it’s not a mainstream game. However........I think Sony are relying on word of mouth with it and see it as a potential Demon’s Souls/Dark Souls style success. If it had an Online death match mode it would have the potential to be fucking HUUUUGE imo. 

Yeah, there are loads of last gen premium games! Xbox currently hasn’t got any games to compare and I’m not sure what Microsoft will price them at when they eventually do have some next gen games. Demon’s, Morales, Returnal are all a level above. Again, they have an RRP of £70.......but you don’t have to pay that. No idea why you are disregarding that. It’s utterly bizarre! Even if you buy physical the games can be had for £55 to £60 on or close to launch......

which is £5-£10 more than last gen games RRP or at the most £15 more when buying at discount. No idea where you are getting a £30 price hike from! 

Like I say, you don’t want to pay it.......then don’t pay it. It’s that simple. 

8 minutes ago, Waggo said:

It’s a moot point anyway if you can pick it up for £60 or even £55 quid as it has always been possible to buy for less than RRP.  

If the RRP had been £50 you would have been paying £35-£40 quid for the game and not £60.:coffee:

Nope! AAA PS4 digital games were something like £60 which means there’s been a £10 jump from PS4 to PS5 games. 

Bought physical - AAA PS4 games were mostly £45 - £50.  AAA PS5 games have been available for £55-£60 before they’ve even been released!

So basically around a £10 price increase. Which imo is fair given the jump in quality and spiralling dev costs of AAA games. To add to that, most of the PS5 games I’ve bought were  physical copies bought on the games launch day for £30-£40. 

10 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Problem is - based on the info we have so far - it seems lots of people aren't willing to pay it. Which means next time Housemarque probably won't be able to make something similar. 

9 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

I’ve literally already answered the points you are making multiple times! You just keep ignoring them.

To summarise.....

Imo Returnal would struggle even at £20. It’s new IP, from a quality developer but, one that makes arcade style games that through their own admission have struggled to sell. It’s AAA and pure quality through and through......but it’s also difficult, uncompromising and clearly aimed at a “hardcore” demographic. It’s an old school arcade/action bullet hell shooter, mixed with Dark Souls, Quake/Doom, Metroid, Silent Hill/P.T and it’s weird and quirky as all fuck! It’s absolutely brilliant but it’s not a mainstream game. However........I think Sony are relying on word of mouth with it and see it as a potential Demon’s Souls/Dark Souls style success. If it had an Online death match mode it would have the potential to be fucking HUUUUGE imo. 

Yeah, there are loads of last gen premium games! Xbox currently hasn’t got any games to compare and I’m not sure what Microsoft will price them at when they eventually do have some next gen games. Demon’s, Morales, Returnal are all a level above. Again, they have an RRP of £70.......but you don’t have to pay that. No idea why you are disregarding that. It’s utterly bizarre! Even if you buy physical the games can be had for £55 to £60 on or close to launch......

which is £5-£10 more than last gen games RRP or at the most £15 more when buying at discount. No idea where you are getting a £30 price hike from! 

You’re like a politician you are, aren’t you, accusing other people of ignoring your points whilst ignoring any points, or at least entirely disregarding them. 

Basically what you appear to be saying is that Sony have a game on their hands which you don’t believe would sell much better even if priced less than a third of what it is now, yet rather than criticising Sony for overpricing their game, you called it “shrewd” because fuck those people who are happy to pay for it :rolleyes:

55 minutes ago, Majora said:

Pretty sure TLOU2 and RDR2 retailed for £55. I would say they are both lower quality in terms of graphics and audio and also.........they were dead certs! They were always going to sell big guns. This is part of what I’m saying......

You either make AAA dead cert games and tailor them to a mainstream demographic in order for them to sell or you scale games back massively and release them for the hardcore, who get a sub optimal experience.

We’ve sort of been here before. In the Wii, 360 gen so many games were streamlined and toned down for the mainstream that a fucking Road Cone could have played and finished them! It spoilt gaming for a lot of people as the challenge was gone. Many, many games were being made for the lowest common denominator to maximise sales. Fuck that! 

I want risky new AAA IP but also games like Tomb Raider, Ninja Gaiden, Outrun, Rez etc.......and I want them done properly, with no compromises, all the bells and whistles running 100% full tilt. I’m willing to pay the money to get those games too!

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

£70 please, although by £70 I mean £30-£40 ;)

unless you’ve bought some cheap psn store credit in a sale, at which point it would be £25-£35z

12 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Problem is - based on the info we have so far - it seems lots of people aren't willing to pay it. Which means next time Housemarque probably won't be able to make something similar. 

Either they aren’t willing to pay £70 or it’s just not for them. Everyone I know that was interested has bought it. But yeah, it’s difficult to see how things can be turned around in terms of big AAA games. All I know is Sony and Housemarque have given it a good go and should be commended for doing so. It’s a fucking brilliant game, that oozes quality and feels different and really fresh.

For what it’s worth......I tried to buy this physically from a few supermarkets and they didn’t stock PS5 or Series X games. Looking on their websites they only have stuff like FIFA, COD, AC etc.

I have no idea what @CrichStand is even saying at this point. As far as I can tell it's good that Sony prices games for £70 because it prices out people who would just buy COD and Fifa (which will sell for £70? Won't sell for £70?), and that the games don't even cost £70, they cost £55 or less, but it's good on Sony for charging £70.