Say No! More - 4

Features:

Closing The Loop: Lemnis Gate

Hard Core: MiSTer

Crowd Cover: social stealth in indie multiplayer titles

The Making Of: Streets of Rage 4

Studio Profile: Team Ninja

Time Extend: Slay The Spire

• Qazimod changed the title to Edge #358: Lemnis Gate cover, Outriders and Nier Replicant 1.22 reviewed
12 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Balan Wonderworld as good as The Medium and Day's Gone, confirmed! 

Given all other reports of Balan have suggested it’s an absolute car crash will be interested to read this one as to how it’s actually dead average on the Edge scale...

2 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

Given all other reports of Balan have suggested it’s an absolute car crash will be interested to read this one as to how it’s actually dead average on the Edge scale...

I just think it made up. 5 being average sometimes more reads that the game isn't innovative, darling. But who knows, it's all just made up subjective impressions like all reviews. 

But! on a more positive note and outlook, It has brought the game Gnosia to my attention. This looks quite cool!   

Not all that interested in Lemnis Gate but that lenticular subscriber cover is absolutely glorious. It's a pity there's any text on it.

Don’t know if this is a subscribers only thing and I’m not going to spoil the surprise, but this just dropped through my door and the cover is the most extra thing Edge have done in about 10 years.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Not all that interested in Lemnis Gate but that lenticular subscriber cover is absolutely glorious. It's a pity there's any text on it.

20 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Don’t know if this is a subscribers only thing and I’m not going to spoil the surprise, but this just dropped through my door and the cover is the most extra thing Edge have done in about 10 years.

Yeah, it's well fancy - just a bit of a shame it's being used for a game/image that's pretty drab looking! Imagine this but for something like Rez Infinite instead; I'd frame it.

I think Edge gave 2010’s Nier a 6? So, yay.

(For me the original was a 7... but I had a “more people need to check this out” agenda at the time, so I didn’t want to be mean :P )

Great to see Gnosia get a bit of exposure. I really enjoyed my time with it, even if it does fall a little short of lofty standards of the Zero Escape series. 

31 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I think Edge gave 2010’s Nier a 6? So, yay

Hmm, that's a bit worrying to say the least. An edge 6 is the mark of a guaranteed cult favourite, an all-time classic fondly remembered and talked about for generations to come. While an edge 7 could go either way, it could just as easily be 1993 DOOM, as a mediocre entry into the Need for Speed franchise.

1 hour ago, Majora said:

Edge score below the Metacritic curve on average though, right? I can see why if a game gets 50 on Metacritic you'd expect a 3 or 4 from Edge.

True enough, though I think Balan is one of those games that occasionally comes along where people gleefully pile on it* rather than giving it a fair shake - as much as anything else because it's so wildly out of step with current trends. Review makes it clear it's ropey in places, but not actively objectionable. It's no Yaiba, put it that way. 

(*And yeah, I watched and laughed at the Dunkey review, so I'm part of the problem.)

Nier originally got a 7, btw, it was some idiot who gave it 6 for Eurogamer. EDIT: I'm wrong, it was a 6, think I'm getting mixed up with Deadly Premonition. 

47 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I think Edge gave 2010’s Nier a 6? So, yay.

(For me the original was a 7... but I had a “more people need to check this out” agenda at the time, so I didn’t want to be mean :P )

I thought 8? I recall reading a glowing review, which encouraged me to buy it, and I remember that as being the Edge review (because I don’t really read others) but of course I could be wrong. 

Edit - Metacritic says 8.

29 minutes ago, Rudderless said:

Nier originally got a 7, btw, it was some idiot who gave it 6 for Eurogamer. 

Ah, my mistake.

I definitely want to pick up 1.22 in the future - if only so that I’m not stuck with the original being stranded on the old gen :D 

That's by far the best review I've seen of Balan Wonderworld, wonder what they liked about it. 

I need to try Gnosia, I spotted it on the eshop and thought it looked interesting but haven't seem many reviews. 

Balan Wonderworld reviews seemed to be about 50:50 people being really charitable towards it because it's by an old creator doing a nostalgia project and people rating it on it's actual qualities and saying it's crap.

Just Ctrl-F to see if they mention NiGHTS, if they do it's the former.

1 hour ago, Rudderless said:

True enough, though I think Balan is one of those games that occasionally comes along where people gleefully pile on it* rather than giving it a fair shake - as much as anything else because it's so wildly out of step with current trends. Review makes it clear it's ropey in places, but not actively objectionable. It's no Yaiba, put it that way. 

(*And yeah, I watched and laughed at the Dunkey review, so I'm part of the problem.)

Nier originally got a 7, btw, it was some idiot who gave it 6 for Eurogamer. EDIT: I'm wrong, it was a 6, think I'm getting mixed up with Deadly Premonition. 

Somebody in a Discord I'm in wouldn't play Outriders because he'd read some reviews on it despite it effectively costing him nothing on Game Pass, and yet happily forked out for the spectacularly mediocre/awful Balan. People are weird.

Outriders is a funny one. Edge 7 is about right, it's a fun low commitment shooter,but some people have really been slating it loudly in a way which sticks in people's minds.

3 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Somebody in a Discord I'm in wouldn't play Outriders because he'd read some reviews on it despite it effectively costing him nothing on Game Pass, and yet happily forked out for the spectacularly mediocre/awful Balan. People are weird.

Hah, was it John Linneman? (obviously joking).

I see JL has been refusing to even consider checking out Outriders while is into Balan Wonderworld.

I too am totally into retro games and have a huge soft-spot for the 3D platformers of the time and even I found the Balan Wonderworld demo to be mind-numbingly bad. 

It's a weird game that seems very polished, which implies that the game direction is totally deliberate.