Jump to content

Duckstation (PS1 Emulator)


Recommended Posts

On 11/09/2021 at 13:31, DeciderVT said:

Having some trouble trying to get Duckstation to see games on my Samsung T5 SSD on my One X, it's as if it doesn't see the drive at all. It's formatted to exFAT- is this correct?

A recent Xbox update seems to have caused issues with SSD drives not showing up when set for media. Microsoft are working on a fix apparently. Seems to work fine with mechanical hard drives and USB sticks, but SSD and NVME drives show in the Xbox settings as having 0b free and can't be read from to load stuff. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jonbd said:

A recent Xbox update seems to have caused issues with SSD drives not showing up when set for media. Microsoft are working on a fix apparently. Seems to work fine with mechanical hard drives and USB sticks, but SSD and NVME drives show in the Xbox settings as having 0b free and can't be read from to load stuff. 

 

Thank you! I'll try loading from a USB thumb drive instead for now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bplus said:

Good! That's the one I've started playing!

It has less content, only 4 tracks compared to R4's 8 configurations, but the overall GP structure is better. Plus the cars are so different, it encourages manual gears too. 

 

Once completed, the game has extra mode in reverse. 

 

R4 is just the same single GP over and over. Such a massive shame. It has no depth at all. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, nakamura said:

It has less content, only 4 tracks compared to R4's 8 configurations, but the overall GP structure is better. Plus the cars are so different, it encourages manual gears too. 

 

Once completed, the game has extra mode in reverse. 

 

R4 is just the same single GP over and over. Such a massive shame. It has no depth at all. 

 

I really don't understand why PS1 games should have a lack content like this. Even N64 games like wave race had at least twice that number of tracks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And N64 games like MRC had 3, GT64 had 3. 

 

It's down to the transition between arcade experiences and more fleshed out home ones. 

 

Rage Racer was a 1996 game, the arcade focus still very much a thing. 

 

Thankfully, things improved. Although quality of content is always better than quantity. Again, Rage is a better game that R4. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Loved Rage Racer back in the day, but felt the monetary awards were to stingy and it took way to long to get to the faster cars.  But of course, it's all moot anyway because Ridge Racers 2 on the PSP runs phenomenally on the PPSSPP emulator and has all the tracks from all the RR series.  

 

Emulation. Gamepass.  The Xbox Series is the best console I ever bought. By a mile.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ridge Racers is nice but the gameplay is so basic. All the cars feel the same. Drifting is so easy. I like it but it's not something that excites me. 

 

I beat Rage last year. If you are good, you don't need to endlessly repeat races. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, dumpster said:

Loved Rage Racer back in the day, but felt the monetary awards were to stingy and it took way to long to get to the faster cars.  But of course, it's all moot anyway because Ridge Racers 2 on the PSP runs phenomenally on the PPSSPP emulator and has all the tracks from all the RR series.  

 

Emulation. Gamepass.  The Xbox Series is the best console I ever bought. By a mile.

And now I'm googling ridge Racer 2 psp on an emu. Looks great!!

 

Edit: it seems like the psp has a load of good arcade racers, is there anything else that you'd recommend?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bplus said:

And now I'm googling ridge Racer 2 psp on an emu. Looks great!!

 

Edit: it seems like the psp has a load of good arcade racers, is there anything else that you'd recommend?

Outrun 2 of course.  Sega Rally is good.  And off topic but Split Second on the Xbox is backward compatible on Xbox, as is Daytona. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/09/2021 at 21:08, dumpster said:

Outrun 2 of course.  Sega Rally is good.  And off topic but Split Second on the Xbox is backward compatible on Xbox, as is Daytona. 

Sega rally Revo on 360 is amazing, as is outrun on original Xbox and 360. Daytona on original Xbox?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/09/2021 at 19:45, bplus said:

And now I'm googling ridge Racer 2 psp on an emu. Looks great!!

 

Edit: it seems like the psp has a load of good arcade racers, is there anything else that you'd recommend?

PSP-wise, Burnout Legends and Burnout Dominator are pretty good. Motorstorm Arctic Edge as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, bplus said:

Sega rally Revo on 360 is amazing, as is outrun on original Xbox and 360. Daytona on original Xbox?

Daytona is awesome on 360. Works flawlessly on Xbone and Series. I think you can't order it on the console, you have to order on the website on PC, but last time we discussed it we got a forum online game sorted and the people who bought the game especially said it was less than £2 at the time.  Snap it up.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just have to add, a huge "holy crap my mind is blown" at Ridge Racers 2.  It's a game I've played over the years, most recently maybe 2017 when I picked up a PSTV, softmodded it and played it on the big TV with a PS3 pad.

 

But playing it on the Xbox Series via PPSSPP and really it's incredible.  Resolution of 5 X psp makes it full 1080p, and 60fps (I think the game runs at 30 and the emulator draws the in betweens but the controls are really responsive anyway).

 

It's a fucking delight.  Really.  Like, the best racing game on Xbox Series X is a PSP game.  If they packaged this emulator up with the game and sent it to a review website as if a new product Id reckon they'd give it a solid 9\10.  The graphics are amazing, simple, very clear (you always know where you're going), tonnes of tracks, but also QUALITY tracks, tried and tested from previous Ridge games.  Amazing music. Great fun.  It blows my mind that this amazing game is fundamentally the same code as it always was on PSP and simply upscaling it makes it a whole new game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/09/2021 at 18:18, dumpster said:

Daytona is awesome on 360. Works flawlessly on Xbone and Series. I think you can't order it on the console, you have to order on the website on PC, but last time we discussed it we got a forum online game sorted and the people who bought the game especially said it was less than £2 at the time.  Snap it up.

 

I actually got it on 360, thought you were referring to original xbox and I was thinking maybe it came out on that too. It's a brilliant version, same wuth virtua fighter 2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I find Rage Racer's vehicles feel abnormally wide. You clip the side of the road and lose a lot of speed very easily.  But, as with the original Ridge Racer there's a really twitchy handling that is easy to learn but hard to perfect.  Ridge Racer games slid away from the originals handling to an on-rails drift system that's really really easy.  In many ways I prefer Ridge Racer to many of the others - it's just one track, one main car, and it's up to to you do the course forwards , backwards, beat the devil car... There's a massive sense of achievement when you nail it.  

 

But Ridge Racers 2 PsP looks amazing on Xbox and I love the music and courses I can overlook the basic handling. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Weirdly, if you have any PSX2PSP conversions they play fantastically well in Duckstation. 

Ive got a psp and stuck a few original psx games on it, great for gran turismo in bed. But do you mean duck station prefers games that have been converted to psp?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dumpster said:

I find Rage Racer's vehicles feel abnormally wide. You clip the side of the road and lose a lot of speed very easily.  But, as with the original Ridge Racer there's a really twitchy handling that is easy to learn but hard to perfect.  Ridge Racer games slid away from the originals handling to an on-rails drift system that's really really easy.  In many ways I prefer Ridge Racer to many of the others - it's just one track, one main car, and it's up to to you do the course forwards , backwards, beat the devil car... There's a massive sense of achievement when you nail it.  

 

But Ridge Racers 2 PsP looks amazing on Xbox and I love the music and courses I can overlook the basic handling. 

Nail on the head, it's really strange, like hit box of the car wider than the car.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, bplus said:

Ive got a psp and stuck a few original psx games on it, great for gran turismo in bed. But do you mean duck station prefers games that have been converted to psp?

Im playing ROM files from an external drive and PPSSPP doesn't seem to remember games in its "recents" menu for this reason. Apparently you can use the same file structure as a real psp memory card on the PSP install directory  but this involves occupying your valuable Xbox ssd space with emulator guff.

 

But Duckstation will load those PSX to PSP conversions right away and make them all HD and beautiful, whereas PPSSPP (I think) would need them in the "right place" which is on the SSD. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is fantastic isn't it? I had been using ePSXe over the years to play some old Squaresoft RPGs, but it was tricky to adjust the settings and get started. This is so much more straightforward. I like how it automatically saves the state when you quit allowing for short blasts. I've got myself pretty much every game that I owned back in the day. Die Hard Trilogy isn't quite as great as I remember and I can't get past the carpark in Driver. 😅 I figured out how to get the Tomb Raider games running (You need to navigate to and start the cue files rather than loading the bins).  I've been playing a lot of Ape Escape. It's quite inventive and has a banging DnB soundtrack.

image.png.e9d009bba2c0cc8c65aa8595e3257e8e.png

(Hmm, big Pokémon vibes!)

 

I'm a little torn with the texture filters. The xBR (no edge blending) probably works the best, but the text tends to look a little chewed out. Everything benefits a lot from playing in a smallish window on my large(ish) monitor. I'm not sure how to get rumble working. If there were a way to put it all on my Switch Lite, it would be so good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still dabbling with this. I tried a bit of Ridge 4 earlier this week - I didn't do much with graphics options so it was still a little jaggy and pixelly but it played pretty well. I also tried Tempest X3 and that was lovely; nice and vivid with effects exploding all over the place. (Of course TxK is the new benchmark these days, but I still appreciate Tempest on a big screen. :) )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/09/2021 at 19:23, dumpster said:

Just have to add, a huge "holy crap my mind is blown" at Ridge Racers 2.  It's a game I've played over the years, most recently maybe 2017 when I picked up a PSTV, softmodded it and played it on the big TV with a PS3 pad.

 

But playing it on the Xbox Series via PPSSPP and really it's incredible.  Resolution of 5 X psp makes it full 1080p, and 60fps (I think the game runs at 30 and the emulator draws the in betweens but the controls are really responsive anyway).

 

It's a fucking delight.  Really.  Like, the best racing game on Xbox Series X is a PSP game.  If they packaged this emulator up with the game and sent it to a review website as if a new product Id reckon they'd give it a solid 9\10.  The graphics are amazing, simple, very clear (you always know where you're going), tonnes of tracks, but also QUALITY tracks, tried and tested from previous Ridge games.  Amazing music. Great fun.  It blows my mind that this amazing game is fundamentally the same code as it always was on PSP and simply upscaling it makes it a whole new game.

 

Yep. Same with Wipeout (3). It plays and looks fantastic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not that it's the best game for it, and there's some bugs if you try because of how it draws the road, having F1 97 reveal that they drew the real logos on the trackside ads and then a PSX utterly failed to display them was an eye opener.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.