Duckstation (PS1 Emulator)

On 19/08/2021 at 17:52, papalazarou said:

I use duckstation (and retroarch) via retail mode (not dev). - if you go to the below  discord and sign up to be white listed (it’s in  start here retail section) once whitelisted you can access this persons apps that they have published - you open the weblink writhing the Xbox internet browsers and the click on the app you want this in turn brings you to Xbox store page it’s on and you install  (retroarch, duckstation, and an ftp client you can run from the Xbox for transfers)

I have an external hd connected to the Xbox with all my rom collections (you need to do this one via the front usb socket).  There is a duckstation core with retroarch but the standalone app works far better 

https://discord.gg/FVhqM5gA

Despite already purchasing Dev mode, I signed up and easily got a download of Duckstation, PPSSPP and RetroArch - saved me some time, thanks!

5 minutes ago, AlexM said:

Despite already purchasing Dev mode, I signed up and easily got a download of Duckstation, PPSSPP and RetroArch - saved me some time, thanks!

Yeah I had done the same (paid for dev mode) but the long times between switching between retail and dev and back again was a real pain

My beautiful Oled Vita has been kicked to the curb. Not to fret, it's only for PS1 playback. I've just cleansed Adrenaline of all my PS1 images. I had plenty of games but only a handful with major progress so not too bothered, it's still my PSP game player, dozens of hours of Outrun C2C makes sure of that.

The reason for abandoning my Vita for PS1 is this emulator, it's fantastic. I play with a beefy phone and Razer Kishi and with upscaling, geometry correction hacks and working widescreen in many games it makes my PS1 games fucking shine. Been playing it for hours already today, mainly racing games but I'm going to try a few sprite based games later, Rapid Reload etc.

Really is a great way to play PS1 isn't it.

• 3 weeks later...

There's loads of topics for this now, but I figure here is best to post.

First off, this is amazing. I'm playing GT2 on my Series S and, after hitting random options, it looks pretty amazing.

Couple of things, though:

I can't get GT2 to run at 60fps. I've selected the option to force NTSC timings, but it's still running at 30fps. Any ideas where I'm going wrong? 

The save files are in a weird format. I want to import my save from my PS3 and have a converter that changes it to .mcs, which seems to be the PS1 format, but Duckstation wants it in .mcd format. Any ideas how to sort that? Just changing the extension doesn't work.

16 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

There's loads of topics for this now, but I figure here is best to post.

First off, this is amazing. I'm playing GT2 on my Series S and, after hitting random options, it looks pretty amazing.

Couple of things, though:

I can't get GT2 to run at 60fps. I've selected the option to force NTSC timings, but it's still running at 30fps. Any ideas where I'm going wrong? 

The save files are in a weird format. I want to import my save from my PS3 and have a converter that changes it to .mcs, which seems to be the PS1 format, but Duckstation wants it in .mcd format. Any ideas how to sort that? Just changing the extension doesn't work.

Pal would be 50 or 25 fps?  NTSC 60 or 30fps? Pretty certain it never ran at 60.  Unless emulator can force 60?

Just now, bplus said:

Pal would be 50 or 25 fps?  NTSC 60 or 30fps? Pretty certain it never ran at 60.  Unless emulator can force 60?

Ah right. It says its running at 30fps, i assumed ntsc would always be 60fps. 

I'm pretty astonished by the improvementd to the graphics that Duckstation can make. Just smoothing everything out and stopping "wobbly" polygons is amazing. It's not quite perfect, but it's a huge improvement. 

4 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Ah right. It says its running at 30fps, i assumed ntsc would always be 60fps. 

I'm pretty astonished by the improvementd to the graphics that Duckstation can make. Just smoothing everything out and stopping "wobbly" polygons is amazing. It's not quite perfect, but it's a huge improvement. 

Yep it's bonkers, makes them look like dreamcast games. I didn't have a PS1 back in the day, having emulator like this is like having a new console with an unbelievable library. Recently played through ridge Racer type 4 it's ridiculously good. Also playing on a dual shock 4 is perfect.

1 hour ago, bplus said:

Yep it's bonkers, makes them look like dreamcast games. I didn't have a PS1 back in the day, having emulator like this is like having a new console with an unbelievable library. Recently played through ridge Racer type 4 it's ridiculously good. Also playing on a dual shock 4 is perfect.

Tempted to give the Ridge Racer games a go. I don't think I play any other than the first, which I think was the first game I tested at Sony. Are they still worth a play, then? 

56 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Tempted to give the Ridge Racer games a go. I don't think I play any other than the first, which I think was the first game I tested at Sony. Are they still worth a play, then? 

Type 4 is very good. Rage racer I've been playing this afternoon, really starting to like it.

Do you still test at Sony?

2 hours ago, bplus said:

Do you still test at Sony?

Nah, I was there between 95 and 98 for the early PS1 days, then again in the run up to the PS2 launch, whenever that was. 

Sonetimes wish I'd stayed and worked my way into the development / publishing side - one guy I sat next to was producer on Little Big Planet and a few driving games and is pretty much retired on the royalties. But I had loads of fun working at different places around the industry and that's good enough, really. 

Type 4 is a disappointingly structured game but plays fantastic and has unreal presentation. Rage is a much better game. 

For the 60fps thing, games rarely run at that. The emulator might show 60 fps which often shows its running correctly but the actual games are often locked to 30. Particularly with 3d games but of course there are exceptions. 

Rapid Racer Is 50/60 fps depending on region. And high resolution. So impressive. 

2 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Nah, I was there between 95 and 98 for the early PS1 days, then again in the run up to the PS2 launch, whenever that was. 

Sonetimes wish I'd stayed and worked my way into the development / publishing side - one guy I sat next to was producer on Little Big Planet and a few driving games and is pretty much retired on the royalties. But I had loads of fun working at different places around the industry and that's good enough, really. 

Probably the most interesting time to be in the industry :) Always thought the 90s game scene were equivalent to the 60s music scene. Everything that happened afterwards was just derivative. (Ok not quite right hip hop etc happen but in terms of rock n roll)

1 hour ago, nakamura said:

Type 4 is a disappointingly structured game but plays fantastic and has unreal presentation. Rage is a much better game. 

For the 60fps thing, games rarely run at that. The emulator might show 60 fps which often shows its running correctly but the actual games are often locked to 30. Particularly with 3d games but of course there are exceptions. 

Rapid Racer Is 50/60 fps depending on region. And high resolution. So impressive. 

Never heard of rapid racer, another to to try ...

19 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

I've with Nakamura

Rage Racer is the king, with a killer career mode.

Type 4 you can "finish" in a little over an hour.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

I've with Nakamura

Rage Racer is the king, with a killer career mode.

Type 4 you can "finish" in a little over an hour.

Which ridge Racer has good career mode? Rage and type 4? Or one?