Duckstation (PS1 Emulator)

• Wonderm changed the title to Duckstation (PS1 Emulator)

Just sideloaded it onto my Shield TV. Symphony Of The Night in 4K. Ridge Racer likewise with texture glitching fixed :wub:
It’s great so far, and seems to run a hell of a lot better on Shield than Beetle.  

It looks  nice, but I generally prefer to play PS1 games at original res - the clean, sharp look can come across as a bit stark and sparse, whereas the fuzziness from original res can fill in the gaps to a certain extent, especially with a decent CRT filter.

What's so special about this emulator? I thought PS1 emulation was pretty well established by now. Is it the fact that it's fast enough to do really high resolutions?

5 minutes ago, K said:

It looks  nice, but I generally prefer to play PS1 games at original res - the clean, sharp look can come across as a bit stark and sparse, whereas the fuzziness from original res can fill in the gaps to a certain extent, especially with a decent CRT filter.

What's so special about this emulator? I thought PS1 emulation was pretty well established by now. Is it the fact that it's fast enough to do really high resolutions?

A quick spin on the PC versions suggests that not only it runs games that cores in Retroarch fail to but it has a great UI for setting everything up (unlike retroarch) and makes everything look fantastic.  Looking forward to spending some more time with this! 

Some games break a little of course.  F1 97 can crash if you hot switch and the track goes a little weird because of the way it's drawn.

But it literally changes "Sponsor banner is a smudge" to "Oh that's a shell banner".

2 hours ago, K said:

Agreed. Having the dithering present with geometry correction would be the best of both worlds for me, although I do find the PS1's texture warping charming.

I've been using beetle hw in retro arch for a year or two now. Duck station is available too. Is it supposed to be better? I'll need to try it.

I definitely prefer PS1 games emulated instead of ossc and real hardwarem the end result is just easier on the eyes.

1 minute ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Those 6X and corrected bits look like Dreamcast images. 

Totally, every game I play on PS1 pretty much looks like a dc standard graphics. Well nearly.

Just set this up, it does seem to run better than others on my little laptop at first glance. although the only thing I tried was ridge racer revolution, which didn’t have any music. Just sound effects. Maybe I need to download it again, as the guide I watched said to use .bin files and I have an img?

its promising though.

edit: apparently that’s normal with games that use music straight off the cd. I don’t know how to fix it though... apart from just listening to the initial d soundtrack!

13 hours ago, Wonderm said:

Played most of MSG again now, it really does work so well

I cant seem to get widescreen added to the 3D games I have tested - does it just work with specific ones?  And does rumble work? (playing with a 360 pad).

22 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Agreed. Having the dithering present with geometry correction would be the best of both worlds for me, although I do find the PS1's texture warping charming.

Yeah, it's part of the look. Although I can see how some games might benefit from a more solid look, like Ridge Racer 4.

1 hour ago, Parappa said:

I cant seem to get widescreen added to the 3D games I have tested - does it just work with specific ones?  And does rumble work? (playing with a 360 pad).

Yeah, depends from game to game as far as I can tell. It can break some engines entirely 

There is a compability list here but it doesn't always go into "will widescreen make this unplayable" - 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1H66MxViRjjE5f8hOl5RQmF5woS1murio2dsLn14kEqo/edit?usp=sharing

Taking a run at GT2 after work tonight. 

https://youtu.be/4JWzt2A1RX4

I've enjoyed playing with Beetle but the sheer volume of tweakable options makes it overwhelming, especially if youre using an old PC.  I can make one change that makes things look better then another change stops games booting entirely.  

Meanwhile Duckstation looked amazing when I first used it on the default settings so I'm making the switch to Duckstation.

I do love the low-res look, but I have to agree that the above screenshots look fantastic. I don't know whether it's just the power of suggestion, but that emulator seems to be doing something to boost the resolution of PS1 games while avoiding the typical spartan look you get on low-poly stuff in high resolution. The shot of Pro Evo looks like the PS2 version.

In motion, GT2 has the typical problems where the LOD popping is very pronounced in high-res, and you get this jarring contrast between the low-res 2D backgrounds and the pin-sharp 3D vehicles and track. But it does look incredibly smooth and solid. Very impressive, I would love to try this out with Colony Wars or Wipeout 3.

Ridge Racer looks amazing, because as well as all the upscaling you lose the horizontal blue lines that appeared between textures.  It's amazing how it looks even better than the arcade as the PlayStation's simpler, lower Res 3D becomes higher res than the arcade original.   If I had a PS5 I'd be taking it to the charity shop.  Playing MGS1, still in my opinion the best one, to completion.