If You Love a Game, Buy It at Full Price says Days Gone Creative Director

Doctor Shark

If Sony put so much stock in Metacritic scores then they need to put out games that impress on day 1 (which, to be fair, they tend to do). I feel like Days Gone is a bit of an outlier as a PS exclusive that gradually improved over time. Unless you count No Man's Sky.

MS seem much more tolerant of releasing games as MVPs and giving them a chance to improve and grow.

8 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Just wanted to say Days Gone is great. It has an incredible challenge mode that takes the best scenarios of the game and turns them into excellent slices of arcade action. You certainly don't face off 200 enemies at once in The Last of Us, Horizon or Resident Evil and that alone gives it a unique spin on the genre.

It's a technical beast as well. Here's my PS5 stress test video - always 4K 60fps, no hitches, that inexplicably blew up into 350K views

The game should've started like this. Flashback or something.

I wouldn't call myself a hardcore gamer anymore. In the sense that I no longer buy things on release I am happy to wait. Also I no longer want to spend £40-60 on a single game because I will never get value from it as I don't want to put the time in anymore.

Anyway get where he is coming from but £50-60 is a big ask from people when you know a month later it will probably be significantly discounted.

How about charging less on release - then more people will be more likely to take a punt. Your game sells more units and get gets more publicity because more people are playing it. Just a thought. Oh and don't discount the games - seems to work well for Nintendo.

21 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

Absolutely. The industry has taught us we can have basically unlimited entertainment for not much money. Be it through the scheduled and predictable price cuts not long after launch, Steam sales, Indie bundles, subscription services. It makes no sense for a consumer to pay £50 for a game on launch outside of FOMO (and that's FOMO around the discussion of the game nearer launch than the actual game itself which will be exactly the same - if not better due to patches - a few months later).

As it stands there are just too many games that are too similar being made to sustain the prices they want to charge on release.

Yeah and it's certainly a hard sell for Sony that we've currently got.

<Sony> You must buy our games day 1 for 70 english pounds or you're basically a pirate!

<Microsoft> £70? How about every game we make for 6 months?  Here's our new one, here's Epic's new one, here's SONY's new one. Take it! Take it!

42 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Anyway get where he is coming from but £50-60 is a big ask from people when you know a month later it will probably be significantly discounted.

How about charging less on release - then more people will be more likely to take a punt. Your game sells more units and get gets more publicity because more people are playing it. Just a thought. 

I suspect that when the model works it does so by hitting early adopters who'll pay full price,  then as time goes by groups of people who are more price sensitive buy in at a time and price that works for them.

I can imagine the total revenue decreasing if they sell at a lower price, because those early adopters are the only people affected, they get their game cheaper. Those who won't pay more than £30 (let's say that's the new launch price)buy it at launch day and those who won't pay more than £15 still wait it out. If they're caught up in the hype and decide to double what they're prepared to spend in order to get the new game, do they make up for the loss in revenue that came from the early adopters spending less? 

I expect that the really big early (under a year) discounts we see on games might become rarer as physical purchases become less common and production runs of discs get smaller. Some of those discounts come from having a warehouse full of games and a new delivery coming so room needs to be made. When things are digital, there's no warehouse, so the price can be dictated purely by what people are prepared to pay.

The worst thing for gamers is probably to automatically preorder games before reviews are out, which sends the message that hype and marketing are the most important part of the process for publishers; with the marketing money spent there's a schedule to keep to that has everything to do with creating enthusiasm and not so much about making sure developers have enough time and resources to create a good game that is functional on launch day. 

On 20/04/2021 at 10:16, Wahwah* said:

I can imagine the total revenue decreasing if they sell at a lower price, because those early adopters are the only people affected, they get their game cheaper. Those who won't pay more than £30 (let's say that's the new launch price)buy it at launch day and those who won't pay more than £15 still wait it out. If they're caught up in the hype and decide to double what they're prepared to spend in order to get the new game, do they make up for the loss in revenue that came from the early adopters spending less? 

I think this does exclude a group defined as

"People who might buy it on launch at £30 but when it launches at £60 have forgotten about it by the time it hits £30 because they've moved onto something else"

How big that group is I don't know but I can see this happening for me with Returnal. I'd probably buy it on launch if I could get it for £45 but given it's £65 minimum I'll probably go play things on game pass and new games I KNOW I'll want.

I'll probably end up paying £20 for Returnal somewhere around christmas.

There is also the argument that £30 in the launch revenue might be "worth" more than £30 in a year, especially when making decisions on support, DLC and sequels.

I expect that the really big early (under a year) discounts we see on games might become rarer as physical purchases become less common and production runs of discs get smaller. Some of those discounts come from having a warehouse full of games and a new delivery coming so room needs to be made. When things are digital, there's no warehouse, so the price can be dictated purely by what people are prepared to pay.

Agreed, and that seems to vary.  Because it's not like Steam is exactly short of discounts.

Apparently it wasn't just price according to the creative director, it's that it wasn't "woke enough".

https://www.thegamer.com/days-gone-woke/?

“I’m not saying in any way that we should have all bought into political correctness and become woke and done all the things to satisfy social justice warriors,” Days Gone creative director John Garvin said. “I’m not saying that at all. I’m saying that as a company making products for millions of people, it’s on us to make sure that it is profitable and also appeal to a wide enough audience to grow the brand.” 

Which is rubbish. You couldn't call Call of Duty woke and it's one of the best selling games out there.

The bigger issue is that consumers have less to spend and the market for zombie games is pretty competitive.

On 20/04/2021 at 09:14, thesnwmn said:

I realise that. I guess own goal against the company I mean.

Imagine working there and waking up to find some other dipshit has just basically scalded half your customers.

I don't think the initial guy even works for them any more. 

The game found its audience at the right price point, it was never going to be the next call of duty or even last of us, so not sure why that guy is so tortured about. The better lesson to learn for Sony et al is that games like this will do well if released at a lower price point (reduce the budget to make this work). Instead they've put the prices up massively.

The guy made basically a glossier but less fun version of the Mad Max game and wonders why it wasn't a bigger hit than that game. 

5 hours ago, deerokus said:

I don't think the initial guy even works for them any more. 

He doesn’t, he basically admits to being fired due to being difficult to work with in the same Jaffe podcast where he made this statement. 

anyone using the words "social justice warriors" needs to be ignored

Or woke for that matter. There are a handful of phrases bandied about now that are perfect warning signs to ensure you can safely ignore what they say.

I thought the right-wing mantra was "get woke, go broke". Now he's saying that you have to get woke to make a blockbuster game. How confusing!

Here's my problem with buying games on release.

I STILL can't play Ass Creed Vikings because it keeps losing my save games.

I then tried Fenyx. Which lost my save game.

I realise this is a Ubi problem, but I bet it's fixed when they release the GOTY edition.

21 minutes ago, Broker said:

Whereas I think I’m going to grab AC: Syndicate for £8 because I fancy wandering around Victorian London and I’m guessing it will work fine.

Great game, just don't try playing it on a PS5.

https://kotaku.com/assassins-creed-syndicate-sort-of-works-on-ps5-if-you-1845649834

(Warning if you have issues with strobing effects.)

It's got fuck all to do with wokeness and almost everything to do with their chosen genre, their decision to release it unfinished and their inability to make a really good game out of it. Anti-heroes can still shift units, just don't glorify their bad habits/traits. Sure not everyone will go for that, but I can't imagine a whole load of people looked at Max Payne and said "He's an alcoholic with a pain killer addiction? Fuck that game!"

I think the ex-director though is misrepresenting the game. From the link (and I'll spoiler this because it talks about story and character

https://www.thegamer.com/days-gone-woke/?

Spoiler

Days Gone even had a small number of queer characters across its world that are well represented, so the director stating that the game could have been “woke” also feels like a disrespectful jab towards those efforts.

In any case I tried it tonight and it looks really good. I can see a lot of people loving it now that they have a chance to play it. It suffered from bad timing though, it came out unfinished and even then most the audience in 2019 were holding off until The Last of Us 2 and then in 2020 it was robbed of followup success at a lower price point because...well 2020. Suddenly games about world ending pandemics just weren't as attractive!