10 years since the big PSN hack

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_PlayStation_Network_outage

It was down for 23 days and I’m still wary of PSN because of it and their customer service/security since. I did still buy a PS4 despite this but stopped using it a couple of years later and it’s just been gathering dust since. I think it’s the only ‘vote with my wallet’ kind of thing I’ve done.

It was quite big news at the time but hopefully breaches on that kind of scale won’t happen again as security etc should’ve moved on. I imagine there are millions of people with lots of money tied up in digital accounts now and losing access to it all would pretty galling although some recent threads about account hijacking shows that individual targeted attacks still happen :(

10 years though! Feeling old

The thread - well one of them:

At the time I only had a PSP and I didn't even make that many purchases. (Besides, ten years later Sony would remove access to PSP games for me :hat: ) Even so, I removed my card details and I don't think I've added them back since...

Because of this and subsequent dire security from Sony I still never have a payment method stored on my PSN account

It's part of why they are such a distant 3rd in my eyes as a console provider and I still have bad feelings towards my PS5, which I just can't bond with at all.

27 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Because of this and subsequent dire security from Sony I still never have a payment method stored on my PSN account

It's part of why they are such a distant 3rd in my eyes as a console provider and I still have bad feelings towards my PS5, which I just can't bond with at all.

Yeah, I've only ever bought store credit for the handful of digital purchases I've got on my PS4. There's no way I'd trust them with my details again. 

Same. My partner thought I was being silly and three years ago used her credit card on PSN to get some purchases.

Within three hours her details were being used for fraudulent purchases. Was a major pain to have to cancel her cards and start anew.

Just now, Unofficial Who said:

Same. My partner thought I was being silly and three years ago used her credit card on PSN to get some purchases.

Within three hours her details were being used for fraudulent purchases. Was a major pain to have to cancel her cards and start anew.

Why do you suspect PSN for that, was her account hacked? Is it not more likely that her card was cloned elsewhere, petrol stations are the worst in my experience.

It's funny seeing people in there saying Sony is utterly fucked and that's the last time they'll use them etc. Only for Sony to absolutely smash the next gen (with lots of help from MS) and almost everyone in that thread buying a PS4  :D

I throughly enjoyed my PS4 and love the PS5 but I would never put my credit card on the storefront, always use gift cards (usually purchased through cdkeys/shopto) which are usually discounted anyway.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Ten years since I bought @Shimmyhill’s PS3 and couldn’t download anything to play on it because PSN was offline so played this on it instead:

image.jpeg.d16debc6b7ea2afe6f063088ba8ca899.jpeg

Wow, 10 years - did I sell it to you in the down time!? PS3 remains the worst console I’ve owned, worst pad and worst online experience - at least Sony have made some strides on the console and pad front!!

Like many I’ve never let credit card details be stored on PSN and have more distrust of Sony than any other company (even Google seem marginally more trustworthy) and it’s a shame to say they haven’t really moved on in ten years security/trust wise.

53 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Wow, 10 years - did I sell it to you in the down time!? PS3 remains the worst console I’ve owned, worst pad and worst online experience - at least Sony have made some strides on the console and pad front!!

I think it went down the day before I picked it up from you but after we’d agreed when I’d pick it up as you’d managed to wipe and update it, but I couldn’t access PSN. Not even to download the PSP/PS3 cross play games I owned!

18 hours ago, Parappa said:

We got free games though didn't we? :huh:

I had a British, American, Japanese, Hong Kong, and a French account. And everyone got like 4 free games for every account (2 x PS3 and 2 x PSP). So I frankly loved the hack. I ran out of games to choose, so ended up with some pool hall crap for my JPN account. :lol:

I don't see what the problem was. Hackers attacked them. Do you victim blame someone who gets mugged? They shut stuff down, sorted the problem, and compensated everyone.

They dealt with it. Quickly, efficiently, and they gave you stuff to say sorry.

It's not like Microsoft is a paragon for corporate virtue. For a while they tried to deny the RROD was real, and only after overwhelming complaints did they acknowledge it and offer free repairs.

I think the problem is that Sony have still been varying degrees of shit since then. The 'British Cop Skin Pack' (still a great name for a band) fiasco, the 2FA issues earlier this year and Uzi's continued attempts to fend off people accessing his account don't do much to foster trust.

5 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I don't see what the problem was. Hackers attacked them. Do you victim blame someone who gets mugged? They shut stuff down, sorted the problem, and compensated everyone.

They dealt with it. Quickly, efficiently, and they gave you stuff to say sorry.

They shut off the servers on April 20th and didn't announce that people had had their details stolen until May 4th. And everything except card info was unencrypted. They absolutely deserved to be hauled over the coals for it. 

On 17/04/2021 at 10:01, Gotters said:

Whether this is a deliberate joke post or not, sir, this is outstanding work. 

7 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

They shut off the servers on April 20th and didn't announce that people had had their details stolen until May 4th. And everything except card info was unencrypted. They absolutely deserved to be hauled over the coals for it. 

Fair enough. I guess the 20 games I got for free turned me into a turncoat collaborator. :eyebrows::omg::coffee:

On 17/04/2021 at 10:29, Kryptonian said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_PlayStation_Network_outage

It was down for 23 days and I’m still wary of PSN because of it and their customer service/security since. I did still buy a PS4 despite this but stopped using it a couple of years later and it’s just been gathering dust since. I think it’s the only ‘vote with my wallet’ kind of thing I’ve done.

Same here. I was going digital-only at that point, and didn't have access to most of my games for well over a month. Actually, I think it might've been 3 months, as I only had a PSP and didn't have a PS3, and initially you could only get back online if you had a PS3. Been using PSN again for a while now, but my account got hacked again (!) in 2017 as I wasn't using 2-step verification. Now I've gone completely physical-only, and use PSN only if absolutely necessary, as I don't completely trust it anymore. And why should I ?

2 hours ago, dumpster said:

Whether this is a deliberate joke post or not, sir, this is outstanding work. 

Oh no quite serious, I really dislike my PS5 (and the PS4 before it, but liked the PS1-3). I sort of got drawn into the hype and against my better judgement bought one mainly because it was available when Game did a drop a couple of months back without any effort on my part, just good timing/luck.

If I'd been able to get an X Series first, which I now have, I'd never have bothered with the PS5. 

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

Oh no quite serious, I really dislike my PS5 (and the PS4 before it, but liked the PS1-3). I sort of got drawn into the hype and against my better judgement bought one mainly because it was available when Game did a drop a couple of months back without any effort on my part, just good timing/luck.

If I'd been able to get an X Series first, which I now have, I'd never have bothered with the PS5. 

Why don’t you just sell the PS5? 

20 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I still haven't played that copy of Little Big Planet they gave me.

Ahhh one of the lucky ones, just reading your post sent shivers down my spine!

12 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Ahhh one of the lucky ones, just reading your post sent shivers down my spine!

Because it's good and he's yet to experience it for the first magical time, which you envy?

Or because it's a nightmarish hell of a game and - between your PTSD flashbacks - you envy his unblemished mind having never encountered it?

Because I too got it free. I started it hoping to download stages made by friends. Faffed about for an hour, with the voice over and intro stages, etc, and it never once got anywhere near allowing me to download anything.

So I concluded there obviously is no means of downloading user made stages, and those claiming there is were just engaged in a mutually consensual mass hallucination. Seriously. I start the game, there should immediately be the option: download user stages.

Does it even exist? Because I definitely messed about trying to find it. For hours.

Can you even download stages in Little Big Planet? I think not! :sherlock:

20 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I still haven't played that copy of Little Big Planet they gave me.

Just think of all the shit 1-1 clones with awful platforming controls and physics you are missing out on.

8 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Because it's good and he's yet to experience it for the first magical time, which you envy?

Or because it's a nightmarish hell of a game and - between your PTSD flashbacks - you envy his unblemished mind having never encountered it?

Because I too got it free. I started it hoping to download stages made by friends. Faffed about for an hour, with the voice over and intro stages, etc, and it never once got anywhere near allowing me to download anything.

So I concluded there obviously is no means of downloading user made stages, and those claiming there is were just engaged in a mutually consensual mass hallucination. Seriously. I start the game, there should immediately be the option: download user stages.

Does it even exist? Because I definitely messed about trying to find it. For hours.

Can you even download stages in Little Big Planet? I think not! :sherlock:

Its a shit game, as in to play - however some of the stuff people created in it was incredible mainly as you didn’t have to play those levels....

It was such a bad game that I’m still suspicious of people who say Sackboy is actually really good because people said the same about LBP....