What to do with a box of vegetables

OK so I ordered a veg box, because I've been subsiding on bread based lunches for far too long. 

I've got all this to get through and I would welcome your recipes! 

- wild garlic

- potatos (3 different varieties) 

- beetroot

- aubergine

- cucumber

- courgette

- cabbage

- spinach 

- carrots

- onions

- leeks 

- a yam? Idk it's a big purple root of some kind 

- a huge cauliflower

- brocolli

The really simple carrot and garlic soup recipe that @Foxworth shared in the soup thread is a lovely lunch with a roll

750g carrots peeled and sliced in half. 

3 or 4 decent sized garlic cloves.

Peel and quarter an onion.

Put all on an oiled oven tray with some sage and roast for 45 mins at gas 6 or 200c.

Take out of oven and let cool slightly. Peel the garlic bulbs out of their skins.

Make a pint of veg stock and blend it all together. 

Add a few table spoons of double cream once it's cooled. 

You can swap out the cream for pureed onion which is really nice:

Crikey - that's a lot to get through. A few ideas - mostly pretty simple, because that's how I tend to cook:

I might start by thinking about making some bits to liven up a salad, because that cucumber is a tricky one otherwise. If you have some small potatoes then maybe boil them up to either eat cold, or make a potato salad with. Beetroot I find awkward (even though I love the stuff), but you could cook that to get another salad ingredient. I'd microwave it personally - much quicker than boiling, cleaner, works really well). (I've also cut it into wedges and roasted it to eat cold later - it tastes great, but goes a bit wrinkly). You could also whittle away that cauliflower by eating a few florets raw - it goes well with blue cheese sauce, or garlic mayo. Could try doing a quick pickle with an onion too - slice it thinly, add a little vinegar, salt, and sugar (maybe some spices), then just give it 15 minutes (and it'll keep for days). Also maybe make a carrot puree (I've made it once before inspired by an element in an M&S salad - probably just googled a recipe). Gives you another interesting texture in a salad.

For the cauliflower, maybe a pimped cauliflower cheese - basically a meal in itself, rather than a side. Roast the cauli. Dice some of the spuds, and boil them. Make a belting cheese sauce (add blue cheese if you like it). Stick the cooked veg in a big dish, pour the sauce over it. Add some big cubes of bread on top to make croutons (and some halved walnuts if you're using blue cheese - hey, maybe even if you aren't), then grate more cheese over the top and chuck it in the oven (cover it with foil for about half an hour), then remove to let everything colour up. I'd be tempted to sneak a leek in there too (you could slice it and chuck it in with the spuds when you boil them). You could also do it using a mix of cauli and broccoli.

The aubergine and courgette could both go in a pasta sauce with another onion, and some of the wild garlic. Add a tin of tomatoes - sorted.

If your big unknown thing is a yam/sweet potato they tend to keep for ages, so a good one to make lower priority. I'd probably look at keeping it simple, and using it with some of the other spuds to make mixed potato wedges (you might want to give the regular spuds a 10-minute head start). Probably best to find out what it is first though (post a photo of it - I'm sure folk here can ID it).

I really enjoyed getting a veg box. I thought of it as buying a problem, rather than a solution, and enjoyed the challenge. Also you get some great stuff - the occasional proper freakishly large thing, for example. Or cucumbers that actually taste of something (usually strange knobbly ones). I only stopped because I couldn't afford it - would definitely do again.

Thanks @PKI haven't made it in a while but i have all the ingredients for it so maybe this weekend il whizz up a batch. 

I looked at this and thought maybe a spinach and ricotta cannelloni with some of the potatoes roasted alongside the aubergine and courgette.

vegetable lasagne with cubed potatoes uses the onion, garlic, aubergine, courgette and maybe the spinach. You can make a batch of the sauce and freeze it so you only have to build the lasagne next time too. Serve it with a side salad and you've used most of the ingredients listed above. 

I think I'm def gonna make use of the freezer so some of these ideas are great. 

There was a garlic in there too and so many carrots, a big batch of soup seems ideal. 

Pickle is a really good shout, the cucumbers are like little gherkin looking things and I've got some fresh dill in the fridge so maybe that works out nicely. 

I think the aubergine is going to be made into a Palestinian dish where its confit in loads of oil with garlic and chilli. 

Might make up a load of hash browns with the potato too. 

Betroot I'm tempted to smoke and then roast really low and slow. 

Wild Garlic Hummus with carrot and cucumber batons

Wild Garlic Pesto with pasta 

Tzatziki with veggie kebabs (aubergine, courgette and onion)

Najib's Special (cauliflower) with roast potatoes*, rice or wrap and spinach salad

ABC Juice (apple, carrot and beetroot)

Roasted vegetables with fennel seeds with cous-cous and a Tahini Dressing

*I like to cube them, mix with olive oil, paprika and pepper and roast for about half an hour

If any of your potatoes are of the smaller varieties, boil them up (or par boil them would be best). Drain them and let them air dry in the pan for a bit. 

Once they're coolish, slice 'em up as thin or as thick as you like and then throw them in a roasting tin. Add a decent splash olive or sunflower oil, a massive dosage of balsamic vinegar, a bit of salt & black pepper (plus anything else you fancy, paprika maybe?). Shake them about in the tin to get them nicely coated. Crush a couple of garlic cloves and throw those in the tin too.

Stick them in a pretty hot oven until they look to be going a nice golden colour and are crisping a bit around the edges.

Take them out the oven, throw them next to a steak of your choice, or hoy them in a buttered bun and eat them.

Then send the rest of the vegetables back and request more potatoes from your supplier.

Balsamic spuds.

On 16/04/2021 at 14:19, Gaz said:

OK so I ordered a veg box, because I've been subsiding on bread based lunches for far too long. 

I've got all this to get through and I would welcome your recipes! 

- wild garlic

- potatos (3 different varieties) 

- beetroot

- aubergine

- cucumber

- courgette

- cabbage

- spinach 

- carrots

- onions

- leeks 

- a yam? Idk it's a big purple root of some kind