Games are not good anymore? Too many publishers publish mediocre crap.

Not all Ubi games are shit mind. Mario + Rabbids was actually really creative, Rayman Origins and Legends are ace and there's very little like R6 Siege and For Honor out there. Their big open world games are not awful games, they're just not very special either.

I think its not that games aren't good anymore because that is relative to expectations and opinions based on what the definition of "good" actually is.

As others have mentioned its hugely diverse these days so there is always something that you might find enjoyable. Agree some of the big AAA games are less interactive and formulaic than ever before but then the diversity of games they have to appeal to has widened so much since say the 90s to the 00s. 

I always find something to entertain me on GamePass and it usually isn't the big exuberant AAA games these days. 

And if I get really fed up of gaming I just stop playing for a bit - can be a month or longer at times and then pick it up again at some point.

3 hours ago, Vemsie said:

Not all Ubi games are shit mind. Mario + Rabbids was actually really creative, Rayman Origins and Legends are ace and there's very little like R6 Siege and For Honor out there. Their big open world games are not awful games, they're just not very special either.

Indeed, I've enjoyed a few, but there's no denying that a lot of them are very, very, VERY similar in structure.

6 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Just laughing at my post it’s really very helpful no? It just comes across as rude. I was offering another perspective that might result in discussion with some who don’t agree with the OP. 

For what it’s worth I would clump yourself together with a few other poster’s who’s constant “discerning viewpoint” I find to be quite grating. 

I have no idea what that means. Just mute me if I grate that much, man. 

Sorry, you now get to live in the same Opinionated Prick bucket that I and others share. Which seems a little unfair to me (your admittance to the bucket, I mean; I'm aware that I'm a) not a fan of the games Kevvy likes, and b) Always On My Bullshit. I've made my bed and I'll lie in it), but hey-ho.

In Rude Kids, the autobiography of Chris Donald (creator of Viz) he talks of how they were approached by a fruit machine company that wanted to make a Viz fruit machine to go into pubs. The weekend before the meeting the Viz staff created a load of ideas and were excited by the project.  To cut a long story short, at the meeting the fruit machine people rejected all the ideas immediately.  They had a game template that punters could understand and all their machines stuck to this rigidly to maximise profits. That's why when you see an EastEnders, Viz, Deal or no deal etc they are all much the same as each other, with very minimal variation.

That's how I see gaming at the moment. Whether it's loot boxes, sports titles, Call of Duty or whatever, they seem to have hit on the formula that they want to stick to. There doesn't seem to be any innovation. 

In other news, yesterday I played Incredible Crisis on the PlayStation One.  Would there be a place in the console market for a game like that today?

22 hours ago, Broker said:

Reviews are shite. I don’t know if it was a perspective thing where I was just aware of some more interesting outlets for a while but they all got shut down, but engaging with reviews now always reminds me of the OPSM and Gamesmaster days. Is it a big budget game from a major publisher? 7/10 minimum, probably 8 or 9. Is it something there’s a lot of hype around which toxic children will abuse you for not liking? 9/10 minimum. 

The last place I was still paying attention to reviews from was Easy Allies and they honestly started to feel like they were generating the scripts with an algorithm. The same phrases and the same positives for games that are often the same as the last one in the series. Ludicrous fawning over the latest Ubisoft garbage. I just got to a point where I decided I was wasting my time listening to them as I’ve heard it all before. 

Again, smaller places like this with personal opinions that are well articulated are far, far more valuable for discovering games and hearing about their relative merits than organised reviews can ever be. There’s a sense that if you want to keep getting the latest Ubisoft, Sony, activision etc games for review you’d better say nice things about them and honestly I don’t trust people who get all their games for free and need to keep getting them to ensure they get review clicks the same day as everyone else. 

I know what you mean, but I think review outlets feel pressured to review the biggest (read: most marketed) games because they will gain them more views.

Then of course it's the issue that *technically* those types of games are often pretty good. They generally run well and have a good quality polish about them so they review well enough. Of course that doesn't always indicate if that game is fun or not (hence EZA obsessing about 'swimming in 7s', because fun games aren't always the best reviewed games).

But yeah I get that feeling - I don't read reviews anymore to tell me if the game is good or not, but rather to just tell me what type of game it is and I'll make my own mind up.

15 minutes ago, dumpster said:

In other news, yesterday I played Incredible Crisis on the PlayStation One.  Would there be a place in the console market for a game like that today?

If the 3D was brought up-to-date a little, it would probably be valid as a fun casual game for families in the same way that Wario Ware and-

IgnqFkW.jpg

...okay, maybe some minigames would need a rethink. :lol: 

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

An indie dev would make it and eventually someone would stream it making it millions?

55 minutes ago, dumpster said:

In Rude Kids, the autobiography of Chris Donald (creator of Viz) he talks of how they were approached by a fruit machine company that wanted to make a Viz fruit machine to go into pubs. The weekend before the meeting the Viz staff created a load of ideas and were excited by the project.  To cut a long story short, at the meeting the fruit machine people rejected all the ideas immediately.  They had a game template that punters could understand and all their machines stuck to this rigidly to maximise profits. That's why when you see an EastEnders, Viz, Deal or no deal etc they are all much the same as each other, with very minimal variation.

That's how I see gaming at the moment. Whether it's loot boxes, sports titles, Call of Duty or whatever, they seem to have hit on the formula that they want to stick to. There doesn't seem to be any innovation. 

Games like Say No! More, Roundabout, Rain on your Parade, Pikuniku, Phogs, Sayonara Wild Hearts are all on consoles. Fall Guys was a huge break out hit.

The majority of stuff that achieves some level of success on PC and is playable on a controller winds up on consoles.

Console gaming is as varied and innovative now as it is was in the PS1 / PS2 era.

Indie stuff isn't hard to find either. It's not dismissed in magazine reviews and subject to tiny print runs like the western release of Incredible Crisis and We Love Katamari were. The big three console manufacturers are constantly promoting the smaller titles they have on their systems, big news sites cover them as a matter of course instead of as the occasional oddity 10 years ago.

On 14/04/2021 at 16:25, Bojangle said:

Titanfall 2... terrible?

Bring back negs immediately. 

I concluded he’s trolling at this point.

Meanwhile I was mostly thinking it was a shame that Stevie's so obviously trolling/moving goalposts in his core argument, as it was refreshing to find someone else who didn't think much of Titanfall 2 :blush:

(it was the most disappointing FPS for me in terms of general reception vs personal experience since Half-Life 2. Just something about it - besides the banal plot, that is - which utterly failed to click, despite the idea of frenetic shooter + high mobility + sometimes mechs being very appealing. I should probably try it again, as at least the shooting itself didn't leave me feeling viscerally underwhelmed as it does in HL2)

On 15/04/2021 at 16:38, Dudley said:

This kind of depends on your expectations of what healthy is for a genre.

FPS games are healthly as a genre, as you have both indie and major publishers still making games in the genre, same for RPGs and any other genre with major publisher interest.

The less healthy genres are usually the ones where you are down to indie developers doing it out of love. Their heart might be the right place, but they usually lack the funding or talent level to produce new games in the genre to push it to new heights. Out of those games you've listed, I've played 2 of them.

Art of Rally is a curious game, it looks on the surface like an Arcade game, but it's actually designed as a hardcore simulator imo, though you can dumb it down to an extent, but it still doesn't play like what an actual Arcade racer would play like in terms of the handling and how it does some things. Still, probably the best Rally game that isn't a pure realistic simulation released in the last decade at least, but that's kind of damning it with faint praise TBH, a bit marmite.

Horizon Chase, a sort of homage to the console classics from the 16-bit era, but its mobile heritage and gameplay mechanics didn't click for me.

That's the problem for me, the genre may technically not be dead, but the stuff being produced at present doesn't come close to what was being produced when talented devs were being funded by major publishers to compete in the genre.

On 16/04/2021 at 16:51, moosegrinder said:

I have no idea what that means. Just mute me if I grate that much, man. 

As mentioned, it was a genuine misunderstanding and I do apologise, but I didn't want to delete the post as it was unfair and basically wanted to own it and not just delete it out of existence. 

Your posts don't annoy me for what it's worth, you just bore the brunt of a feeling of sometimes not quite seeing eye to eye with the general rllmuk vibe, which can be quite "complaint" driven, and negative... rather than how I remember it to be, which was a little more celebratory. But that's from my point of view, and people are obviously totally entitled to all and any opinion, I'm not trying to be the Police or something. 

On 16/04/2021 at 18:08, Wiper said:

Sorry, you get to live in the same Opinionated Prick bucket that I and others share. Which seems a little unfair to me (your admittance to the bucket, I mean; I'm aware that I'm a) not a fan of the games Kevvy likes, and b) Always On My Bullshit, so obviously I should live in it), but hey-ho.

...although I do have a Warrant out for Wiper's arrest. 

4 hours ago, Wiper said:

Meanwhile I was mostly thinking it was a shame that Stevie's so obviously trolling/moving goalposts in his core argument, as it was refreshing to find someone else who didn't think much of Titanfall 2 :blush:

(it was the most disappointing FPS for me in terms of general reception vs personal experience since Half-Life 2. Just something about it - besides the banal plot, that is - which utterly failed to click, despite the idea of frenetic shooter + high mobility + sometimes mechs being very appealing. I should probably try it again, as at least the shooting itself didn't leave me feeling viscerally underwhelmed as it does in HL2)

...and now intend on pressing charges further. 

(that's a joke btw)

4 hours ago, Wiper said:

It's amazing how wrong opinions can be.

The '90s were maybe the last time indie-sized teams were making the biggest games, budgetwise. Technology's obviously getting better all the time, and there are still some incredibly talented people around, but never the twain unless you're established like Kojima. That's the real difference for me — a clear divide in resource allocation.

When we were more limited by hardware than time we'd often see glimpses of cool near futures, with that small-team vision piping through. Take the toy-car genius of The Big Leap versus that free PSN game of late:

TBL.png

DA.png

Or how amazing this was in design terms (as a simple skybox) as much as hardware:

GdE.png

Two of my favourite last-gen games are Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and Return of the Obra Dinn, but you can feel the budget pinch in the former (if only they'd thrown AAA support at it!), and as much as I'm glad the latter's entirely to Pope's credit, the same applies. Or then maybe not, 'cause I love it how it is! But you get my point about letting creatives take risks within sizeable teams again. 1996 Tomb Raider used a familiar template, but was a gameplay risk that wouldn't be allowed today. It'd be considered a huge gamble!

There's been some recent hype about an FPS called Enlisted, where its main innovation is the same squad-control Operation Flashpoint did 20 years ago (and that wasn't really its highlight). I'd like to see Microsoft and/or Sony funding medium-sized teams to create store demos with free rein, developing any popular ones as full projects.

Pre-2000 I'd play a game and think ‘This is great, but it'd be even better with x’, and then maybe a couple of years later I'd often see that idea realised. Whereas nowadays I have a lot of simple desires that go uncatered for. Like recreating the friendlier side of the arcade scene in fighting games by having online coop for those of us who'd like to play in teams (Street Fighter X Tekken was a shame). It's arguable that Dead or Alive 4 had more online ambition than any fighter since! (Guilty Gear Xrd and Strive have possibly made the most effort.)

But then my last major the-future's-here moment was Vice City, so it's not all down to the industry. We are getting older. I just felt we were collectively moving towards the continued realisations of dreams that started in the 8-bit days, and then suddenly we weren't. Suddenly games were redirected at younger people with lower expectations, and that generational tracking where the PlayStation ran in tandem with my teens was lost. Again — could be me.

On 16/04/2021 at 14:37, MattyP said:

And if I get really fed up of gaming I just stop playing for a bit - can be a month or longer at times and then pick it up again at some point.

These comments always make me smile because I've gone years at a time without playing a game. The last I bought is Golf Club 2. I guess I haven't been a regular for about ten years.