Jump to content

Games are not good anymore? Too many publishers publish mediocre crap.


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Vemsie said:

Look at remasters the way you look at 4K Blu-rays. It's not like we're starved of new games. We're getting or got new games in almost all these series you mentioned here, Crash 4, Baldur's Gate 3, new ME, new Elder's Scrolls, Halo Infinite, Resident Evil Village (which looks fucking brilliant by the way), Age of Empires IV. And lots of new IP as well. 

 

Not sure going "but all the series with nostalgia remasters are getting sequels too" is really going to address his argument that there's little creatively, tbh. You were better off with the first post.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

 

LOL I'm the guy who hates all the remasters, re-releases and remakes as examples of being creatively hidebound, so quite amused by the post assuming I'm a big defender.

 

But it's also 100% an audience problem, old sad fucks love their nostalgia and being cynically pandered to. And companies aren't going to turn down the free-est, easiest money around.

 

:blah:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean we’re definitely not getting new Elder Scrolls games. They can’t even be arsed to remaster anything but the newest one. Arena to Daggerfall was two years, six years to Morrowind, four years to Oblivion, five years to Skyrim. That was ten years ago and it’s unlikely we’ll see TESVI this gen. It could easily end up being a 15-20 year gap between V and VI, which is insane.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dave7g said:

There are actually far less bad games that are released now than at any other time in history.

 

 

Balan Wonderworld shows this. It's getting a lot of attention for being so outright terrible. In the past that wasn't remarkable but it's unusual now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

 

Not sure going "but all the series with nostalgia remasters are getting sequels too" is really going to address his argument that there's little creatively, tbh. You were better off with the first post.


Yeah, fair enough. Even though some AAA franchies manage to re-invent themselves, like Zelda, Resident Evil and Half Life did last gen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

 

LOL I'm the guy who hates all the remasters, re-releases and remakes as examples of being creatively hidebound, so quite amused by the post assuming I'm a big defender.

 

But it's also 100% an audience problem, old sad fucks love their nostalgia and being cynically pandered to. And companies aren't going to turn down the free-est, easiest money around of reselling games they've already made for silly money to millions of people.

 

That's Rubber Johnny bingo right there!

 

He is superior to everyone and likes to tell People that.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd recommend some awesome games but Stevie is a 'story over gameplay' guy and I simply share nothing in taste with anyone like that so my suggestions would be shite. 

 

I'd say that if you're that kind of player there are lots of options out there but many of the best original recent games go the other way in focus. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Now is always the best time to be a gamer. Every year, more games to choose from. I think now is a fucking ace time to be a gamer. This year I’ve mastered flying a Cessna, built an interplanetary factory, played a lovely little game of golf on my phone in bed, got back in to Witcher 3 because it loads/reloads about a billion times quicker on my PC, AND still have an entire history of games that are super easy to download on a whim. And even found a good Ubisoft game (fenyx rising).
 

You’re just not looking in the right place. There’s tonnes of good shit out there. You probably just need to take a break from gaming. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I'd recommend some awesome games but Stevie is a 'story over gameplay' guy and I simply share nothing in taste with anyone like that so my suggestions would be shite. 

 

I'd say that if you're that kind of player there are lots of options out there but many of the best original recent games go the other way in focus. 

 

Yeah, I think it's a real stretch to insist there's nothing good in terms of story now, like I'd suggest games were howlingly embarrassing awful in terms of story for decades (all plot and lore and thinking twists were the greatest thing in the world, no characterisation and the worse voice acting known to man) and only recently have started to put some effort in.

 

You can literally see the difference in something like RE2make where they added in a very 'modern gaming sad dad scene' and then immediately whiplash back to hoary old schlock about a superspy, with characters throwing around dialogue cliches and clunky lines because they still needed to actually follow the plot of the original.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Zael said:

I gotta say I never understand posts like these. Games are so incredibly varied these days, it's essentially the same as saying movies or books aren't good anymore. 

 

This is kind of like saying there's enough stuff out there to cater to everyone, which isn't true. It's still possible to pine for certain types of things that amongst the thousands of art produced isn't evident in any of them. I'm like Stevie and do realise it's more me than games, i like creating things of my own ultimately and games can't provide the same satisfaction, but even so there's about 10 genres or specific types of games i'd love to play that aren't being made anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Loik V credern said:

 

This is kind of like saying there's enough stuff out there to cater to everyone, which isn't true. It's still possible to pine for certain types of things that amongst the thousands of art produced isn't evident in any of them. I'm like Stevie and do realise it's more me than games, i like creating things of my own ultimately and games can't provide the same satisfaction, but even so there's about 10 genres or specific types of games i'd love to play that aren't being made anymore.

What are they, out of interest? There are enough developers on here that it's probably good market research. 

 

Arcade racers are a thing that aren't quite extinct but are certainly close to it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Broker said:

I generally think triple A games are shit


Shit in what way though? Because last gen raised the bar high with games focusing on rich mechanics and level design. Look at the games id made, or IO Interactive or From Software, or Nintendo or Arkane or Respawn or Capcom, being back with a vengeance. Look at how Team Ninja upped the standard for Soulslikes. We're seeing things in AAA like Microsoft Flight Simulator, Control, Dreams, Splatoon and Death Stranding, none of which are exactly run-of-the-mill. As mentioned above, we saw franchises like Doom, Half Life, The Legend of Zelda and Resident Evil re-invent themselves. There's cool new experiences in VR. We're getting interesting looking new IP like Returnal, Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo and Elden Ring. And who knows what devs like Ueda and Kojima will come up with next.

Even in AAA there's so much more than EA, Activison and Ubisoft (even though they have the occasional gem too).

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Broker said:

I mean we’re definitely not getting new Elder Scrolls games. They can’t even be arsed to remaster anything but the newest one. Arena to Daggerfall was two years, six years to Morrowind, four years to Oblivion, five years to Skyrim. That was ten years ago and it’s unlikely we’ll see TESVI this gen. It could easily end up being a 15-20 year gap between V and VI, which is insane.


Bethesda was definitely struggling to build a game of the ambition of Elder Scrolls to modern AAA standards. It’s why I was happy with the MS buyout, now they’ll have unlimited resources and funds thrown at development. I’d have kinda agreed with you before but no way are we not getting a new Elder Scrolls this gen, MS would want that as a flagship Series S/X/ Gamepass game. 
 

Of course it’s half their fault for wasting last gen on Fallout and Elder Scrolls online. Never understood why they didn’t get cracking on the next one after Skyrim became massive. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, matt0 said:

I was just thinking the other day we hadn't had one of these threads in a while.

 

The answer is always play smaller games. Outer Wilds, Hades, Disco Elysium, Huntdown, Slay The Spire, Monster Train, Opus Magnum, Hollow Knight, Streets Of Rage 4 etc.

 

Also, if the only thing interesting you is grand strategy games... I mean... aren't we supposed to be in a golden age for that shit? I heard Shadow Empire is a masterpiece, Star Dynasties, that new Amplitude Civ beater that out at some point this year.

 

That's a really good list.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Broker said:

I mean we’re definitely not getting new Elder Scrolls games. They can’t even be arsed to remaster anything but the newest one. Arena to Daggerfall was two years, six years to Morrowind, four years to Oblivion, five years to Skyrim. That was ten years ago and it’s unlikely we’ll see TESVI this gen. It could easily end up being a 15-20 year gap between V and VI, which is insane.


I think we're gonna see it this gen. And we're getting Starfield as well, and probably fairly soon.

No idea if it's good, I'm not a huge fan of Bethesda's own games (though I do love most of the stuff they publish), but it seems fans of BGS will have a good gen. Assuming we won't be hit with more pendamics.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Generally speaking, games are better than ever imo. They look better, play better, feel better and we are ridiculously spoiled for choice. If you're looking for story though, erm yeah. 

 

Disco Elysium.

 

Probably one of the best written games ever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Stevie said:

 

 

Mass Effect remastered

Age of Empires remastered

Sonic remastered

Resident Evil remastered

Turok remastered

Baldurs gate remastered

Crash Bandicoot remastered

Skyrim remastered

Halo remastered

 

 

Its definitely me. Its not that the industry has run out of ideas or is too afraid to give creative people a chance. 

 

 

 

This is hilariously myopic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

 

LOL I'm the guy who hates all the remasters, re-releases and remakes as examples of being creatively hidebound, so quite amused by the post assuming I'm a big defender.

 

But it's also 100% an audience problem, old sad fucks love their nostalgia and being cynically pandered to. And companies aren't going to turn down the free-est, easiest money around of reselling games they've already made for silly money to millions of people.

I would love quality remasters. Problem is that the modding community does a better job. People on this forum were praising the Dark Souls remaster completely unaware of the fact that modders did a better job years before....for free. If you live in a bubble then by all means continue to throw money at low effort products. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stevie said:

 

Titanfall 2 should be renamed to MEGA GUNZ TEENAGER BIG DICK THE REVENGE PATRIOT MASTER II

 

The story is terrible, gameplay is good....and thats that. I can imagine loving that game 20 years ago. 


I really hope you played up to Cause and Effect as that’s the single cleverest level I think I have ever played in an FPS.

 

I mean if you did and you still hated it then your clearly dead inside but if you didn’t play that far you really should give it another go.

 

Then again I loved The Division 2 (although I certainly wasn’t playing it for the story) so maybe my advice isn’t relevant here...

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Moz said:

What Remains Of Edith Finch

 

 

Coincidentally I finally started playing Edith Finch yesterday to try to clear some accumulated GamePass games. I didn't think it would be my thing (I like having a lot of play in my games, and normally couldn't care less about story). I've thoroughly enjoyed it. It's short, varied, and the story's actually rather good. Will be finishing it off shortly.

 

It might convince me to finally try The Stanley Parable next...

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Vemsie said:


Shit in what way though? Because last gen raised the bar high with games focusing on rich mechanics and level design. Look at the games id made, or IO Interactive or From Software, or Nintendo or Arkane or Respawn or Capcom, being back with a vengeance. Look at how Team Ninja upped the standard for Soulslikes. We're seeing things in AAA like Microsoft Flight Simulator, Control, Dreams, Splatoon and Death Stranding, none of which are exactly run-of-the-mill. As mentioned above, we saw franchises like Doom, Half Life, The Legend of Zelda and Resident Evil re-invent themselves. There's cool new experiences in VR. We're getting interesting looking new IP like Returnal, Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo and Elden Ring. And who knows what devs like Ueda and Kojima will come up with next.

Even in AAA there's so much more than EA, Activison and Ubisoft (even though they have the occasional gem too).

 

I mean that's a lot of developers who you like who mainly make FPS or third person action games. Those five games you listed are pretty interesting, but it's five over an entire generation, and one of them is a third person shooter with a twist and one is Nintendos take on standard multiplayer shooter mechanics. Doom reinvented inself into being more like the game it was 30 years ago, Zelda reinvented itself into a normal open world game but not shit, resident evil reinvented itself into a mildly different perspective. I loved several of those games, I'm super excited for Elden Ring, I'll be there for whatever Kojima tries next, but it's a miniscule fraction of the marketplace compared to the wild variety of big budget games we had spread across the PS2, Xbox, Gamecube and Dreamcast. The vast majority of mainstream games with a big investment are incredibly similar to one another in comparison to when the medium was growing. I know that's natural and I think it makes sense but I also think it's completely fair to look back fondly on the time when something like Shenmue was the most expensive game ever made, because there's absolutely no way you'd get the biggest budget of all time now if you couldn't point to a bunch of other games that did what you're doing and made money.

 

Even in your post there talking about how great things are now, Dreams is the only thing that isn't a derivation on an existing formula. Flight Sim is considered a crazy outlier risk when it used to be an entire genre. I feel like there was a period when any new game from any genre might be the next big hit and so investement and marketing could go into any of them. Now if you're not a realistic game in one of the two main genre's with a crappy film to watch in chunks you're just not going to get those resources.

 

18 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:


Bethesda was definitely struggling to build a game of the ambition of Elder Scrolls to modern AAA standards. It’s why I was happy with the MS buyout, now they’ll have unlimited resources and funds thrown at development. I’d have kinda agreed with you before but no way are we not getting a new Elder Scrolls this gen, MS would want that as a flagship Series S/X/ Gamepass game. 
 

Of course it’s half their fault for wasting last gen on Fallout and Elder Scrolls online. Never understood why they didn’t get cracking on the next one after Skyrim became massive. 

 

14 minutes ago, Vemsie said:


I think we're gonna see it this gen. And we're getting Starfield as well, and probably fairly soon.

No idea if it's good, I'm not a huge fan of Bethesda's own games (though I do love most of the stuff they publish), but it seems fans of BGS will have a good gen. Assuming we won't be hit with more pendamics.

 

I mean if you'd told me we'd go the entire of last gen without a new GTA or Elder scrolls and those studio's would each manage to produce one game from their B franchises, both of which would be mechanically identical or worse than their last game I wouldn've thought that was mental. But here we are 8 years later, they're still churning out Skyrim and GTAV ports and after Fallout 4 and Red Dead 2 I'm not sure I'm even that bothered what they make next. That situation would have been unthinkable to me at the end of the PS360 generation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Moz said:

It sounds like you're not looking hard enough. You've mentioned GTAV, The Division 2, Watch Dogs 2 and Last Of Us 2, all big sequels from big developers/publishers, all shooters or adjacent. Isn't that a bit like watching 4 Transformers films and then concluding films aren't good any more?

 

You said you've got Gamepass, so:

 

 

Outer Wilds

Nier Automata

Subnautica

Alien Isolation

Control (it's a shooter, but...)
Titanfall 2 (it's a shooter, but...)
Prey (it's a shooter, but...)
Celeste
Spiritfarer

Monster Train
The Gardens Between

What Remains Of Edith Finch

Dead Cells

Frostpunk

Hollow Knight

Slay The Spire
Resi 7
Donut County

Carrion
Night in the woods

Star Renegades
 

There are plenty more, those are simply a few which don't fit in the mould you're complaining about, are recent, and I've played so can recommend.

 

Missed HypnoSpace Outlaw. A criminally overlooked gem, of the Obra Dinn/ Outer Wilds variety. Seriously, those three games have sustained my interest in narrative game experiences (and then Bloodborne made me remember how much I loved solid mechanics).

 

So yeah, @Stevie if you like an interesting narrative get hypnospace played.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Broker said:

 

I mean that's a lot of developers who you like who mainly make FPS or third person action games. Those five games you listed are pretty interesting, but it's five over an entire generation, and one of them is a third person shooter with a twist and one is Nintendos take on standard multiplayer shooter mechanics. Doom reinvented inself into being more like the game it was 30 years ago, Zelda reinvented itself into a normal open world game but not shit, resident evil reinvented itself into a mildly different perspective. I loved several of those games, I'm super excited for Elden Ring, I'll be there for whatever Kojima tries next, but it's a miniscule fraction of the marketplace compared to the wild variety of big budget games we had spread across the PS2, Xbox, Gamecube and Dreamcast. The vast majority of mainstream games with a big investment are incredibly similar to one another in comparison to when the medium was growing. I know that's natural and I think it makes sense but I also think it's completely fair to look back fondly on the time when something like Shenmue was the most expensive game ever made, because there's absolutely no way you'd get the biggest budget of all time now if you couldn't point to a bunch of other games that did what you're doing and made money.


I mean, lots of games in earlier gens were FPS or third-person action games as well. I would argue that DOOM plays nothing like Prey (or even old DOOM, I really disagree it's more like the game it was 30 years ago - there's a crazy amount of mobility and gameplay systems working in tandem compared to that), and Sekiro plays nothing like Breath of the Wild or Death Stranding, nor is Hitman in any way comparable to Nioh. I also don't agree that BotW is just another open world or that Splatoon has standard mechanics. Resident Evil 7 in VR is like nothing else. There's still a ton of variety and crazy stuff like Yakuza Like A Dragon. You talk about Shenmue, but Kojima getting money for a AAA game in which you carry boxes and build bridges while carrying a baby in a jar seems pretty crazy to me as well. I just don't agree with the 'AAA' games' suck, when so many games have superb gameplay.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

I mean if you'd told me we'd go the entire of last gen without a new GTA or Elder scrolls and those studio's would each manage to produce one game from their B franchises, both of which would be mechanically identical or worse than their last game I wouldn've thought that was mental. But here we are 8 years later, they're still churning out Skyrim and GTAV ports and after Fallout 4 and Red Dead 2 I'm not sure I'm even that bothered what they make next. That situation would have been unthinkable to me at the end of the PS360 generation.

 

This came up in a bit in the Nintendo games thread, and a lot of people feel the same way, but I actually think it's good.

 

I realised every series I think is tired, or is on a downward trend (Assassins Creed, Battlefield, Pokemon, etc) is a series that's stuck on a 1-2 year release cycle and suffering as a result of it, whereas every series I'm still interested in the next entry of is pretty much like your list - GTA, Elder Scrolls, KojiPro's next project, etc - games that only get one a generation.

 

I get the thinking - people go "wow that was a great game, couldn't I get another more regularly, like we used to" but obviously games take longer to make nowadays, and those series we're still looking fondly towards are as good as they are because they're not on a regular cycle. It's one of those "be careful what you wish for" things - we've seen what an epic RPG looks like if you try and shovel it out every two years and it's Dragon Age 2.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.