Games are not good anymore? Too many publishers publish mediocre crap.

Stevie

Whenever I talk to people who know nothing about games I always tell them that games is like a combination of books and films. It combines the best of both worlds. Some of my best memories in life are from games, but for the past 8 years or so Iv'e started to lose interest in games simply because I feel that the industry is so streamlined and stagnated. Its all so bland and toothless. It doesn't arouse my curiosity. It doesn't require me to think. 

I used to love open world games. I remember when GTAIII came out, it just blew my mind. I remember thinking that if they could make GTAIII several times bigger then it would be the best game ever created. Fast forward 20 years and I never completed GTA5 because it got old...and boring. I rarely complete games, and I often install games (Gamepass/Ubi+) that I immediately uninstall because I think the games are low effort crap.

I installed The Division 2 today, played for about 20 minuted before I uninstalled it. I started playing it and not before long I reached a point where I was walking towards chest high walls and I just knew that it would be a firefight. I mean whats the point? There is no tension, there is no suspense, when you see chest high walls you know its there because you are going to hide behind it when firing at the enemy. Games get more and more streamlined, and the quality is dropping. I also installed Watchdogs 2. Played for a few minutes (didn't uninstall) but I got a strong feeling that the freedom/mechanics in the game was just artificial sweetener placed there to make me think I was playing a game that had anything that required me to use my brain. Its all a ruse.

Titles like The Last of US gets rated as GOTY/best games ever simply because they tell a story, have a narrative, and catches the player by surprise. All games should have a story and a narrative that makes you think, but we are served games that requires very little thinking or reflection. 

I'm about to give up gaming completely. The only games that keeps me interested is grand strategy games, but I might as well be playing table top games. 

I mean, I completely agree that every game you've listed there is pretty tedious, particularly from a narrative standpoint, but it's very much a case of "AAA games are formulaic and boring, news at 11". Oddly enough the big budget action games of the era you're glorifying tend towards the same, uninspiring narrative end of the spectrum (e.g. hi FarCry, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor).

Obviously you can get tired of games, just like any hobby, but writing off the entire modern form because you don't like AAA action games is like writing off modern film because you find Hollywood blockbusters to be formulaic tosh.

I was just thinking the other day we hadn't had one of these threads in a while.

The answer is always play smaller games. Outer Wilds, Hades, Disco Elysium, Huntdown, Slay The Spire, Monster Train, Opus Magnum, Hollow Knight, Streets Of Rage 4 etc.

Also, if the only thing interesting you is grand strategy games... I mean... aren't we supposed to be in a golden age for that shit? I heard Shadow Empire is a masterpiece, Star Dynasties, that new Amplitude Civ beater that out at some point this year.

I’ve eschewed all AAA games for the last year or two (apart from Nintendo stuff), and it was a great decision. I just can’t be arsed with long cutscenes and stressful gameplay I’ve seen a million times before.

Games have never been better, there has never been more of them, and there has never been so many ways to buy and play them. You just need to play the right ones.

39 minutes ago, Moz said:

Outer Wilds

I liked it, but it didn't keep me interested. 

Nier Automata

Subnautica

Alien Isolation

Control (it's a shooter, but...)
Titanfall 2 (it's a shooter, but...)
Prey (it's a shooter, but...)

Haven't played Nier Automata. 

Subnautica was good

Alien Isolation was good

Control was a bit meh

Titanfall 2....terrible

Prey.....I loved it. 

Celeste
Spiritfarer

Monster Train
The Gardens Between

What Remains Of Edith Finch

Dead Cells

I haven't played any of these

Frostpunk

Its ok. 

Hollow Knight

Slay The Spire
Donut County

Carrion
Night in the woods

Star Renegades

Haven't played any of these either. 

Resi 7

Great game but I'm too much of a coward to complete it.

I should say that I dont own any consoles at the moment so console titles are off limits to me. 

Ubisoft are probably the least interesting big publisher these days. Even EA has put out some top quality stuff recently (mainly thanks to respawn).

Playing Ubi games only would kill the art for me, although I do like Immortals.

I think the last Ubi game I bought was the (actually excellent) Rayman Legends.
There's so much good stuff these days, from super cool indie games with unique concepts like Return of the Obra Dinn and Outer Wilds to mechanically rich games like Nioh (2), Sekiro and DOOM Eternal to unique VR experiences like Paper Beast, Astro Bot, Resident Evil 7, Lone Echo and Alyx to gameplay sandboxes like Prey, The Phantom Pain and Hitman 3. Even in AAA you'll get things this year like Returnal, in which you're a middle-aged female astronaut trapped in a cycle on an alien planet that changes upon each death, Deathloop, in which you're stuck in a timeloop on an island where you have to kill multiple targets before everything resets while being hunted by an assassin, and Ghostwire Tokyo, in which you fight Japanese spirits with magic karate. And then there's smaller, but interesting stuff like Sifu, Kena, Jett: The Final Shore, Death's Door etc. It's an embarassment of riches.

Also, grab a friend and play It Takes Two.

36 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Titanfall 2... terrible?

Bring back negs immediately. 

Titanfall 2 should be renamed to MEGA GUNZ TEENAGER BIG DICK THE REVENGE PATRIOT MASTER II

The story is terrible, gameplay is good....and thats that. I can imagine loving that game 20 years ago. 

5 minutes ago, Zael said:

I gotta say I never understand posts like these. Games are so incredibly varied these days, it's essentially the same as saying movies or books aren't good anymore. 

Books are better, even the bad ones. The line between online advertisement, mobile games and AA games has decreased dramatically, and it will continue to decrease as long as journalists rate AAA games.   

1 minute ago, RubberJohnny said:

they're the definition of a you problem.

Mass Effect remastered

Age of Empires remastered

Sonic remastered

Resident Evil remastered

Turok remastered

Baldurs gate remastered

Crash Bandicoot remastered

Skyrim remastered

Halo remastered

Its definitely me. Its not that the industry has run out of ideas or is too afraid to give creative people a chance. 

2 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Books are better, even the bad ones. The line between online advertisement, mobile games and AA games has decreased dramatically, and it will continue to decrease as long as journalists rate AAA games.   

Play indie games? Play other strategy genres?

1 minute ago, Stevie said:

Mass Effect remastered

Sonic remastered

Resident Evil remastered

Turok remastered

Baldurs gate remastered

Skyrim remastered

Halo remastered

Its definitely me. Its not that the industry has run out of ideas or is too afraid to give creative people a chance. 

Not 10 posts ago you said you haven't played a ton of absolute bangers.

1 minute ago, Stevie said:

Well, first of all there are many good AAA games. Secondly, indie games have become so diverse that they can range from looking like The Witness to Inside, from Cuphead to Kena and from Death's Door to Sifu. We're long past the 8-bit pixelated look (not that there's anything wrong with that). And AA made a comeback last gen, publishers like Focus and THQ Nordic are basically build on it. Add VR to the mix and the variety is staggering.

8 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Mass Effect remastered

Sonic remastered

Resident Evil remastered

Turok remastered

Baldurs gate remastered

Skyrim remastered

Halo remastered

LOL I'm the guy who hates all the remasters, re-releases and remakes as examples of being creatively hidebound, so quite amused by the post assuming I'm a big defender.

But it's also 100% an audience problem, old sad fucks love their nostalgia and being cynically pandered to. And companies aren't going to turn down the free-est, easiest money around of reselling games they've already made for silly money to millions of people.

3 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Mass Effect remastered

Sonic remastered

Resident Evil remastered

Turok remastered

Baldurs gate remastered

Skyrim remastered

Halo remastered

Look at remasters the way you look at 4K Blu-rays. It's not like we're starved of new games. We're getting or got new games in almost all these series you mentioned here, Crash 4, Baldur's Gate 3, new ME, new Elder's Scrolls, Halo Infinite, Resident Evil Village (which looks fucking brilliant by the way), Age of Empires IV. And lots of new IP as well.