Hot Wheels Unleashed

MDY

• 5 months later...

I can see criticisms of the handling of this on the last page. I picked it up on PS5 after watching a couple of glowing reviews on Youtube. It should be the sort of game I love, I have a soft spot for arcade racers just like this, but the handling seems incredibly weird. 

I can't get the hang of drifting, is it tap to drift? Or is there an element of holding the brake? And should you release the accelerator? I keep thinking it's like Sonic Transformed, or MK8 but it seems nothing like either of them. Not sure if anyone on this thread has a tip? I can either nail a perfect apex, then crash into a wall on exit, or just rail grind around the outside of corners. The rest of it seems fine, visuals and track design, but I'd say if an arcade racer immediately has a strange stuff handling model that's something of a big hurdle to begin with. 

That would be very handy, thanks. I can't see any specific tips for it anywhere, which is weird as I've played arcade racers for years and only had a problem with a tiny number of them. After about 20 minutes on this I still didn't feel any closer to nailing the controls. 

I've fucked it. I forgot I uninstalled it and after installing the disc it now wants a 32 FUCKING GIG UPDATE. Sorry, someone else might be along before tomorrow to shed some light on it. If you can be arsed to look there was definitely specific discussion about it earlier in the thread.

Playing with different cars is like playing different games. I remember the last time I played was around the time The Batman came out and I fell for a DLC deal. The Red Robin Car I think it was felt quite like MK8, whereas others were inscrutable.

You have to start drifting sooner than you think and - as Moosey says - be very aggressive with it.

I really enjoyed HWU, just a shame I drunk-bought the Switch version instead of Xbox/PS5 as there’s no friend lobbies or people online any more. Hoping this comes to GP/PS+ soon. 

23 hours ago, cavalcade said:

That would be very handy, thanks. I can't see any specific tips for it anywhere, which is weird as I've played arcade racers for years and only had a problem with a tiny number of them. After about 20 minutes on this I still didn't feel any closer to nailing the controls. 

Right, as others have said it varies WILDLY from car to car. My two favourites were KITT and the Gucci Cadillac Seville (this was a free gift from buying the game for some reason) as they're both bonkers stats and both are hugely controllable in slide.

One thing I seem to remember is using accelerator to control the slide once you're into it, not the brake. 

The best thing to do is go to Quick Modes and do Basement 1 until it clicks. The track is wide and the corners sweeping.

Also (and you probably already know this) keep checking Limited Offers in the shop as they change with in game time, so if you have something you don't want in there leave the game open for two hours or whatever and it'll refresh.

9 hours ago, alex3d said:

Does this still suffer from the rubber-band effect or have the devs patched it out?

It's still too hard and the AI make miracle comebacks if you fuck up once.

There's so much stopping this game from being fantastic like the unforgiving difficulty (on medium and above) and the fact the battle pass stuff is only obtainable from grinding xp in Quick Modes and that there are a load of cars which are just there to pad out the roster and are functional useless.

I guess that's the problem with making a game around a license that's basically tapping into the magpie part of the brain and instills the need to collect loads of them.

Speaking of which, anyone heard owt about the Monster Truck expansion?

I think I probably largely mirror some of the more negative comments on the last page. 

I think there's lots to like about this - for one thing the Medium difficulty seems spot on to me, easy enough to win if you focus, but lapses in concentration are punished. Felt like a nice sweet spot as often racing against AI can be hit and miss. I do like the setting and the car visuals  (some of the small visual details are well done) and I don't mind the pseudo-battle pass presentation and progression. Overall, it's an arcade racer and unless you fuck stuff up seriously, they're usually fun. Even shit ones. 

But even though I grasp the handling (now - it took a while to click, thanks for the help) I just don't really like it. I agree with the comments that the transition into the drift is far too stiff. And it demands timing far too early without a huge amount of course correction once the drift is triggered. This does mean that the more you know the tracks the better you get at selecting a line, and I've found it enjoyable in time trials. But if you go for something with this sort of timing I find it always makes racing something of a chore. The barriers on the course and other cars mean, as with any racer, you don't always have the luxury of picking a good line (especially if you're in the middle of the pack). So there's a lot of understeer corner grinding and using boost as speed management tool, rather than having extremely fine control of the cornering dynamics like you would in Sonic Transformed. And to be honest, that does lead into the big criticism overall - it just isn't as good as Sonic Transformed, or MK8. Without items and power ups while I do like the purity of the racing, the gimmicks on the track seem a bit out of place and I'm just not sure how thrilling it all is. Yes, there's less bullshit blue shell style nonsense, but I'm not sure just pulling all that out makes for a better game. Sonic Transformed, even though it's 10 years old or something, manages to beat this on so many fronts - a better progression system, better tracks, more creative etc... 

I also have an issue with some of the visual design. The blue connectors just look shit. I know they're "accurate" but it's distracting and annoying and weirdly results on some confused design with the glowing dot areas and various strip colours to charge boost/give a speed boost. That all needed another pass. Also, I've seen the courses praised a lot. I think they're fine, but many have really poor, punishing nooks and crannies which seem to exist just to annoy - there is one course with a book which sticks out into the track and any attempt to take a line other than the optimal one in the corner before it ends up with the car stuck in a dead end. I just think that sort of thing is shit in a kart racer - punish bad lines, but punish with slow downs, or a loss of momentum. Don't force restarts unless something catastrophic happens. 

Also, generally on the PS5 the loading times are pretty shocking. 

So yeah, I mean it's not shit. It's fine. But I am a little disappointed it wasn't better. 

• 4 months later...

Played this as its free on PSN this month

As it's an arcade racer - a dying breed - I really wanted to enjoy this - but there is nothing here to make me want to go back and rinse it. 

Visuals are nice - tracks are a bit boring, I thought they'd be a bit more fantastical - and the drift thing doesn't really satisfy as it should (if you going to put this in a racer). 

As others have said Medium AI difficulty is tough - so the only way to win is pick the most powerful vehicle in your collection - and that's it, the rest is just window-dressing

The music is also shit and drab - makes you yearn for the custom playlists of old

On 25/11/2021 at 09:30, MattyP said:

Its not a bad game - and on Switch probably one of the better racers. However on other platforms there are more racers to choose from. It also has a course designer which will add more value to things if you have time to use it.

For me its the type of game that will eventually end up on PSN+ or GamePass. Suppose it depends what type of racer you are looking for. 

Well there we go.... :) It's OK but not great.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked this up on PS Plus for PS5, so far I think it’s great. Started with the M3 which is a good drifter with 3 separate boosts which I prefer over the hold to boost of other cars at the moment, managing to win on medium as long as I don’t make too many mistakes. The feeling of speed is sensational at times 😀.

Haptics are good with the different surfaces but I turned the triggers to low as they just felt odd initially.

Track design seems good at the moment, just started to see some alternate routes.

Not sure whether I’ll get bored of it as the locations don’t seem to play much part, (basement and garage so far) as they do in something like micro machines but as a freebie on PS Plus it’s excellent. Having areas of the map visible but not obviously (unless I’ve missed something) behind DLC is a bit naff though.

• 3 weeks later...

I gave this a try for an hour as it was free with PSPlus and was underwhelmed. The difference in difficulty between easy and normal is ridiculous. Easy: win every race. Normal: lose every race, unless you don't make a mistake on the last lap.

Anyway, I was about to uninstall it but thought I would give it one more go last night. I'm now a fully paid up member of the Hot Wheels Fan Club.

Something just clicked (playing it in normal) and I'm power sliding into corners and boosting out of them like a pro. I especially like the gravity and physics in this where you can find yourself going around a loop and fall upside down if you don't have the requisite momentum.

Tremendous stuff.

For me the difficulty on medium/normal seems about right so far. I think some of the rubber banding effect is more to do with how well you boost/hit pads and what route you take (reminds me a bit of Wipeout in that respect). These type of games need it to some extent to keep the tension up but it seems reasonably fair at least.

On 12/11/2022 at 20:07, shirubagan said:

Ha, you’ve asked this before. They have definitely tweaked the difficulty but it’s still a challenge on Normal. 

I re-installed it and can't see any major change in AI driving and balancing out the difficulty level. It remains the most disappointing element of this game.

• 2 weeks later...